1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Denominations that are into Calvinism

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Ben W, Nov 3, 2003.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Makes sense to me, Debby.

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why all the debate is because the Baptist Board has members that come from different churches, different Baptist orders, and different doctrines.

If it were made a prerequisite that those who joined would only be Pentecostals, or only Full Gospels, or only Catholics, maybe there won't be too much debating going on.

But you can't have that with Baptists. Baptists debate, argue,and one up the other, and that is historical. Consider that time when the disciples were arguing about who would sit next to the Lord in His kingdom, or that time when they looked back as they were walking with the Lord and saw John and asked the Lord about what John is supposed to do, simply because they thought he was the Lord's favorite.

I think it was said that the reason we discuss things like doctrines, practices, etc., is so we can learn from each other, and maybe sort out which is truth, which is supposition, which is scriptural, and which is fantasy.

Silly thing is that someone starts imposing his belief on one or all, or someone reacts like someone is imposing his beliefs and doctrines on him, and then all these silly innuendoes happen,or all those judging about one's eternal standing is done, and then the debate becomes a matter of who is right and who is wrong, and goes on to words that were better left unsaid being said.

But, still, debates and arguments, with its sometimes silliness, is why we like being in the Baptist Board, provided one is not so silly as to take things personal.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It makes no sense to me to call someone a Calvinist. A Calvinist follows the teachings of a man. But scripture says in Hebrews 11:6, "And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him>'

Why follow Calvin when we should be following Jesus? Do Calvinists baptize infants too? It seems to me that Calvinists are selective about what they follow in what Calvin taught. I can't imagine anyone in America or Canada following Calvin's concept of community.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Seems to me that scripture ses a good job in Matthew 22:8-14, "Then he said to his slaves, `The wedding is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy. Go therefore to the main highways, and as many as you find there, invite to the wedding feast.' "Those slaves went out into the streets and gathered together all they found, both evil and good; and the wedding hall was filled with dinner guests. "But when the king came in to look over the dinner guests, he saw a man there who was not dressed in wedding clothes, and he ^said to him, `Friend, how did you come in here without wedding clothes?' And the man was speechless. "Then the king said to the servants, `Bind him hand and foot, and throw him into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.' "For many are called , but few are chosen."

5. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about these?

1 Cor. 1:18-21
    Romans 10:14-17

I keep posting these and the PB's never answer. Can't imagine why. :rolleyes: [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Well, let me ask you this first. I believe since you said you ask PB's that they probably have given you their Scriptures on why hearing the Gospel is not needed for regeneration and eternal salvation. So now, let me ask you the following, and provide Scriptures for your answers:

1.Which comes first in point of time, belief ? or regeneration ?

2. If you agree that the unregenerate, the unsaved, is dead in sins and trespasses, pray tell how he can have faith to believe (obey) the gospel ?

3. If he cannot have faith to believe, should'nt he first be regenerated ?

4. Did Lazarus come to life because he obeyed Christ's command to come forth ? Or did he come forth in obedience to the command, because he was first made alive.

5. Faith is said to be a fruit of the Spirit, can an unsaved person have the Spirit ? If not, why not ?

6. Explain I Jn. 5:1 that said "whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God". Which came first, belief or birth ?

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

As we have shown many many times, Calvinists are not devotees of Calvin. "Calvinism" is a name that has been attached to a set of biblical beliefs. We no more follow Calvin than the man on the moon. We follow Jesus and believe the things that Jesus and his apostles taught.

7. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

As we have shown many many times, Calvinists are not devotees of Calvin. "Calvinism" is a name that has been attached to a set of biblical beliefs. We no more follow Calvin than the man on the moon. We follow Jesus and believe the things that Jesus and his apostles taught. </font>[/QUOTE]Then why not drop the terms "Calvinist" and "Arminian" from our vocabulary? Those men are dead and Gone and neither had a "better understanding", all they did is subdivide the faith into fragments.

8. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Drop Calvinism? No problem; I've been trying to make it happen for years.

Drop Arminianism? Hmmm; then what would we call our enemies? :rolleyes:

Bickering is silly. We should all just agree to disagree because I can't change anyone's beliefs and they can't change mine. It takes God to plant that seed; all we can do is water it.

Now, when someone is ready to listen because they truly want to learn, then discussion can be a great thing. But, when the sole purpose of the question is to stir dissension and discourse among our brethren(yes, I consider all here to be my brethren), then perhaps we should just keep our questions between ourself and God. Argue with Him if you must. :eek:

BTW, that wasn't meant for anyone in general; I don't want for someone to be offended, thinking I'm referring to them. I know I've been guilty of "baiting" a brother so I could look smart, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has.

For everyone, commit everything to God in prayer. The best any man can do for you without God is lead you astray.

One more thing, I'm not interested in converting anyone who doesn't want to be converted. When the time is right, God will direct them.

God Bless. Bro. James

9. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about these?

1 Cor. 1:18-21
    Romans 10:14-17

I keep posting these and the PB's never answer. Can't imagine why. :rolleyes:
    </font>[/QUOTE]Well, let me ask you this first. I believe since you said you ask PB's that they probably have given you their Scriptures on why hearing the Gospel is not needed for regeneration and eternal salvation. So now, let me ask you the following, and provide Scriptures for your answers:

1.Which comes first in point of time, belief ? or regeneration ?

2. If you agree that the unregenerate, the unsaved, is dead in sins and trespasses, pray tell how he can have faith to believe (obey) the gospel ?

3. If he cannot have faith to believe, should'nt he first be regenerated ?

4. Did Lazarus come to life because he obeyed Christ's command to come forth ? Or did he come forth in obedience to the command, because he was first made alive.

5. Faith is said to be a fruit of the Spirit, can an unsaved person have the Spirit ? If not, why not ?

6. Explain I Jn. 5:1 that said "whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God". Which came first, belief or birth ? [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Funny, no answers.