1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Denominations with bishops

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Michael Wrenn, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I'm posting this here because I'd like to get Baptist opinions on it.

Do you think that a polity which utilizes bishops is helpful or harmful to the church and the gospel? Please give reasons in your answers.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clarification Michael: I we talking about the biblical position of the "bishop" or the man-made position of the "bishop".

Obviously I'm in favor of the first! :eek:

Bishop Elder Overseer Bob

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

The position of bishop as understood in Methodist, Episcopal, and other churches.

4. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

P.S. Couldn't James be considered a "monarchical bishop" over the church at Jerusalem?

5. Janis

Janis New Member

I am interested in this subject because it was an issue with our church split at first of December. We received mail from a former deacon who read the scriptures to mean that church should be ruled by 'board of deacons'. I did study and research and decided if we have about 3 or 4 'Stephens' in our church, we wouldnt have problems within the church at all. Keep this subject open, because I am very much interested in viewpoints on this.
    Janis

6. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Janis:
    I am interested in this subject because it was an issue with our church split at first of December. We received mail from a former deacon who read the scriptures to mean that church should be ruled by 'board of deacons'. I did study and research and decided if we have about 3 or 4 'Stephens' in our church, we wouldnt have problems within the church at all. Keep this subject open, because I am very much interested in viewpoints on this.
    Janis
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your friend read the Scriptures to read that church should be ruled by board of deacons, he had better study them again. The leaders of the church are elders:

" The “elders” of the New Testament church were the “pastors” (Eph. 4:11), “bishops or overseers” (Acts 20:28), “leaders” and “rulers” (Heb. 13:7; 1 Thess. 5:12) of the flock. Everywhere in the New Testament bishop and presbyter are titles given to one and the same officer of the Christian church. He who is called presbyter or elder on account of his age or gravity is also called bishop or overseer with reference to the duty that lay upon him (Titus 1:5–7; Acts 20:17–28; Phil. 1:1)." (Easton's)

Deacons are not leaders but servants. 1 Tim 3 delineates the different roles of overseers and deacons.

7. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Chris,

If you've read my posts in response to Catholics about bishops, you know that I agree that in the New Testament the terms "bishop', "elder", "presbyter", "overseer", and "pastor" are synonymous terms for one and the same office. And yet isn't it true that James held what could be considered a monarchical bishop's position in the church at Jerusalem?

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wasn't James simply the pastor of "the" church at Jerusalem? I don't see him as anything more than an influential pastor and de facto leader - a disciple and a pastor of one of the largest churches - not a "bishop" in the papal sense.

Where are you reading this?

9. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Wrenn:
    Chris,

If you've read my posts in response to Catholics about bishops, you know that I agree that in the New Testament the terms "bishop', "elder", "presbyter", "overseer", and "pastor" are synonymous terms for one and the same office. And yet isn't it true that James held what could be considered a monarchical bishop's position in the church at Jerusalem?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No - he was the DOM of the Jerusalem Baptist Convention ;)

10. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

And a five-point Calvinist, too--right? [​IMG]

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Yes Micheal. James was a Calvinistic, Amillenial, conservative Southern Baptist pleased with the grass-roots conservative resurgence in the SBC :D

Seriously though, Dr. Bob asks a good question: Where do you get your theory that James was a monarchial bishop?

12. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

From the wrong place, I guess--a non-Baptist source. ;)