1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Denominations

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Repent-or-Burn, Jan 20, 2010.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

So, you would not fellowship with a fellow Christian because they wear shorts?

What a monumentally ridiculous thing to do.

2. Peggy

Peggy New Member

Let's add "Repent-or-Burn" to the legalist category.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

As well as the "chronically miserable."

4. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Is he talking about just that someone wears shorts at some point in time, or wearing shorts to church?

My wife wears shorts, but she would never wear them to church.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Maybe you could change your name to Repent or burn your shorts. :laugh:

6. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

LOL:laugh:

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

This thread is yet another bait-and-switch thread that Repent-or-Burn is known for. He starts a thread asking a question, but he's not really looking for peoples' input, as much as he's looking for opportunities to tell people they're wrong. He's only 20, and still got a lot of maturing to do, so I'm willing to cut him a little slack.

8. Peggy

Peggy New Member

I'm afraid he is going to turn into one of those nutcase preacher boys that graduate from Hyles-Anderson College.

They do more harm than good to the cause of Christ with their smug self-righteousness and lack of charity.

I agree, "Repent" has a lot of growing up to do.

9. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

To answer the post, however it was motivated, I believe it is correct that the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod and the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod practice separation as denominations ... i.e., they discourage, maybe even forbid, cooperation with others, even with other Lutherans.

10. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

The LCMS will co-operate with other Christians. It's the WELS that won't even pray with non-WELS Christians.

11. Repent-or-Burn

Repent-or-Burn New Member

Thanks, Smith.

12. Repent-or-Burn

Church, and 'in public.'

13. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Most true separatists these days are not associated with denominations. A nautral result of the separatist/sectarian impulse is to be forced into self imposed isolationism because of one's position.

While some denominations practice a mild form of separation, most hardline separatists are independents due to their views.

Editted to add: I realize there might be a hidden agenda in the OP but at this point I'm happy to post in any thread in this forum that isn't about/against Calvinism.

14. Repent-or-Burn

My motive is just what I posted about: to learn about denominations.

I am wanting to change churches, but I am not familiar with other denominations to know which I should consider. I do not want to end up in an ecumenical church.

I should be surprised that I am being slandered for having ulterior motives.

You should actually read the whole thread. I was asked questions, because I was told they were needed for clarity - to give an answer.

And with one poster, I tried to bring them "back" to the original question - but that person refused to answer.

That's okay. I expect this for taking a stand.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep - taking a stand - any stand - will get you attacked. (where's the rolling eye guy??)

We will fellowship and work with any church that stands on the same faith we do. We do not work with many churches but we do work with some - those that are Biblically sound. Our pastors have even taken some pastors of smaller Bible teaching churches into their "continuing education" class that they do together every 3 weeks. It's a great way to help the smaller churches in the area and support the pastors who have a much tougher job than we do since they're the only shepherd in the church.

However, we're more than happy to have other churches send people to attend our Bible classes, VBS, girl's worship camp, sports camps and that sort of thing. If we have seminars, guest speakers and the like, we will openly invite other churches. We're not looking to steal sheep but to build up the body.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

So let me get this straight. According to you, women aren't allowed to wear shorts to church, but men are? I'm still trying to figure out where this is in scripture, let alone what it has to do with the OP.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No it wasn't. It was to pontificate about denominations. When a person asks a question as bait to lure people in, that's disingenuous, disrespectful, and rather infantile.