1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Denying Christ

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can a Christian agree with a cult that denies the trinity, or the deity of Christ. Is it reasonable for someone who claims to have a relationship with our Lord and savior to give legitimacy to othe cults?

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Yeah, he or she can probably be deceived. Is it reasonable?? Oh, I don't know. Probably about as reasonable as climbing on top of the Space shuttle Discovery expecting to hitch a ride to the space station. I'd rate the two on a par. :rolleyes: :D

3. PeterM

PeterM Member

Depends on what you mean by "agree." I can stand with Mormons on the issue of abortion, that does not nor should it ever imply that I am a Mormon. If you are venturing into the areas of theology or biblical doctrines, I would be a bit careful but even the cults can stumble into a bit of truth. As the saying goes, "Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

There are lots of folks who may think the way I do, live moral lives, even vote for the same folks I would. That does not give them credibility in the church, nor does it imply they have been regenerated unto salvation. I guess I would need to understand what you mean by "give legitamacy."

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will clarify:

Can a Christian give legitimacy to a cult as being acceptable to God that denies the trinity, or the deity of Christ.

In other words say that their view is just as legitimate ingods eyes ad we have no right to judge or belittle their view of Christ.

5. PeterM

PeterM Member

Ahhhh, my light bulb comes alive...

In a sense yes, I think a Christian can. While we are able to make judgements concerning belief systems and in certain limited circumstances should speak to them, we have no authority or postition to belittle or make fun. For those who have been exposed to truth and accepted as such, we do so because we have been empowered to by the Holy Spirit, not because we are smarter or better.

I have seen much of this "belittling" in church circles when discussing Mormonism, JW, etc. Statements like, "How can people believe this garbage?" We ought never succumb to pride because of what we have been given by grace.

6. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I take the other approach.
    No. A Christian cannot legitamately give "credibility" to a cult nor should he. Nor for that matter would a really regenerated man want to.
    Why? Scripture answers;
    "Can two walk together except they be agreed?"

One should NEVER join hands with a known cultist for any reason. Doing so gives credibility to their heresy and reproaches the Jesus we represent.

Like my Baptist forefathers, I am a firm Seperatist.

Sadly; the name 'Baptist' has very little meaning anymore.:tear:

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

IMHO

If a 'Christian' gives credence to satan - they are worshiping satan . . .

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

AHHHHH

IMHO Your light bulb burned out.

Speaking the Truth of the Gospel is not belittling. Belittle is to make something smaller than what it genuinely is.

Everything that is not of Christ at the end of the World will be burned in hell fire and brimstone. . . it will be made the size that it genuinely is.

Christ is not to be belittled by cults, heresies, and satan worshipers.

9. PeterM

PeterM Member

If your intention was to be rude... you nailed it.

Allow me to clarify... my responce was to infer that a Christian who is interacting with an individual of another belief system, can appear to offer legitamacy to the other when the believer fails to "speak the truth in love." In a sense, I was saying that it is possible, not whether it is right or correct.

That said, as we "boldly proclaim" the truth, we must do so in a spirit of love and compassion, understanding that the unregenerate cannot help who and what they are. To belittle the lost accomplishes nothing except to prove that we ourselves are without the fruit of the Spirit.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

No, a view that denies truth is not legitimate in God's eyes. What would truth mean if it was okay to deny it?

Cults are hostile to Chirst and the Gospel; they are rooted in the lies and deception of Satan. The cult members need salvation, but what they believe is evil.

11. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Sure they can. Doesn't make them right, but they can agree with that cult because of being decieved. Many will be decieved in the last days by something other than the Truth :(

12. ituttut

ituttut New Member

We should not join them in worship, or agree with them if they don't believe they must be saved in the name of Jesus the Christ our Lord, the only begotten Son of God. If they don't believe this, there is no way they can believe the Word became flesh, and became by the work of the Holy Spirit, the Son of God the Father.

I believe we are to leave them alone, just as Christ finally got over to Paul to stay away from Jerusalem. If Jesus, and the earthly Apostles of Jesus, all with the Power of the Holy Ghost could not bring Israel to accept Messiah what chance does Paul have? God finally got him on his way to the Gentile for they will hear the Word, and carry it to the world.

Associate with them yes, and talk about them among ourselves, knowing they are wrong so I would also say yes this also. But while we can judge each other, we cannot those outside of Christ. He reserves that right for Himself.

13. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Mormons have become quite liberal in their policy on abortion. I hope you do not agree with them.

14. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

If you do not believe in the God of the Trinity, the Christ of the Trinity and the Holy Spirit of the Trinity. Then you worship a false god, christ and HS. A Christian can not be a Christian by puting his faith in a false christ.

When the theif on the cross was saved one of the things he did was acnolage Jesus as Lord.

15. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, we cannot tell a cultist that they are acceptable to God if they deny the deity of Christ which involves the Trinity, or if the deny the physical resurrection of Christ, or if they deny salvation by grace through faith, and not of works. These are essential doctrines of our faith.

Please keep in mind that cult members, though, are not the enemy - Satan is! Cult members are essentially prisioners of war, the great war between God and Satan. They don't need our condemnation, they need to be set free!

16. PeterM

PeterM Member

:thumbsup: Bless you sir!

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what should be our response to one who claims to be a christian but gives legitimacy to a cult that denies Christ and the Trinity?

18. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I explain to them that we believe in different Christs and that since there is only one Christ one of us is not a Christian. I then try to turn this into a discussion where I can present the true Christ and the gospel.

19. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Find out if they believe in the shed blood and death of Jesus Christ as the Lamb of God on their behalf a sinner. If that is the case then they are saved and I would pray with them and for them that God would open up their spiritual eyes and ears to the Truth.

But in the end it is their job to accept the Truth or reject it just like it is for us when someone represents Truth to us.

20. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They need to be introduced to the Christ of the Bible. Unfortunately, most of them are not open to the truth - their mind is already made up. But, arguing with them about the truth won't help.

There is always the possibility that you can develope a relationship with them, gain their trust, and share with them the resaon for the hope you have (providing you live like you have hope).