1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Despite economy, Americans don't want farm work

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

I don't know about Obama but Bush and Gingrich certainly would (did) approve. Besides, 50% more than minimum wage for farm-hand work is extremely nice pay.

#21 dwmoeller1, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2010
  2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Unfortunately for the farmers, the unemployed are by and large, not living anywhere close to the feilds.

How are they supposed to get there? Where do they live while they are there? How much do they have to pay to live in that space? If they own a home in LA, will they make enough money to pay their mortgage and their rent too?

The problem isn't only finding enough people willing to take those jobs, but finding enough people who are close enough or can move close enough to take a temp job for 6 weeks. We are a city oriented country. And this is one place where the illegals have it over on us.

They come from nothing. No property, little shelter, less food. To them, living in an old trailer picking strawberries is way better than living in a dump, picking trash. It is worth the constant moving around.

We Americans, live a far different lifestyle and its not so easy to pick up and move for 6 weeks work trimming strawberries.

3. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

There have been news stories that mentioned 'undocumented workers' in this recession reluctantly going back to work in the fields after years of better jobs in construction and manufacturing. Even they don't want to do it if there is any alternative.

4. targus

targus New Member

Lost your TEMPORARY JOB through no fault of your ?

You knew that it would be TEMPORARY going in.

Now you are a victim?

5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

People like you are the exact reason I am against welfare. You are attempting to game the system. You went out, got a temporary job, knew it was temporary, then want to collect unemployment since it was only temporary?!

Did they teach you that in your gifted class in middle school?

You'll make an excellent lawyer. You'll fit right in with the rest of the blood suckers.

6. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

My SF-50 says "reason for termination: lack of work". It's not my fault they ran out of work, even though I knew it would happen. Along with my SF-50, I got an SF-8 with special instructions that are just for former Federal civilian employees, like me, who lost their jobs though no fault of their own. You can read more about unemployment compensation for former Federal civilian employees at the U.S. Department of Labor's website: http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/unemploy/unemcomp.asp

I have an interview for another temporary job coming up soon that runs from October-January. If and when I lose that job through no fault of my own, I will then be able to collect unemployment benefits.

7. FR7 Baptist

I don't want to collect unemployment; I want to work, bub. Secondly, I am not and have never collected unemployment benefits. No, collecting unemployment is not gaming the system. I don't like taking handouts, but if I lose my job through no fault of my own and I'm eligible for unemployment, am I supposed to not take it to make you happy? The Department of Commerce paid into the unemployment compensation system for a reason.

8. matt wade

It is your fault. If you didn't purposely sign on at a job that you knew would be going away, you wouldn't get laid off.

Good grief...you are pitiful and a perfect example of the lazy, "think the world owes them everything"-youngster of today.

9. matt wade

Collecting unemployment in the fashion you are attempting to do so is gaming the system, bub (is that a word you learned at gifted in middle school?).

Do you still live at your parents house?

10. targus

targus New Member

Our next generation of liberal victims.

"It's not my fault that my temporary job ended so I lost my job through no fault of my own."

:laugh:

11. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Obviously.

The difference is that they will and we won't.

12. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Yeah its totally his fault. If he wanted to avoid getting laid off he should have just refused to take the job in the first place What a lazy bloodsucker for taking the temporary job! Boo, hiss.

13. targus

targus New Member

The point is not that he should not have taken the job - the point is that he knew that it would be temporary when he accepted it.

He cannot now claim victimhood for "losing his job through no fault of his own" when in fact he agreed to the terms of employment - that being that it was a temporary position.

So in that regard it is not "through no fault of his own" it is due to accepting the condition of "temporary".

14. FR7 Baptist

How is it gaming the system? That's using it as intended.

No.

I'm not a victim. You're projecting your feelings of victimhood onto me.

15. targus

targus New Member

"Through no fault of my own" - words of a victim.

16. FR7 Baptist

It wasn't my fault I got laid off. I didn't commit any misconduct. My performance was excellent. We just ran out of work.

17. targus

targus New Member

It was a TEMPORARY JOB.

You knew that going in.

Did you expect to make a career out of a TEMPORARY JOB?

You have outed yourself as part of the entitlement crowd.

18. FR7 Baptist

Of course I knew it was temporary. It still counts for unemployment compensation purposes. In the employment contract I signed before I took the Oath of Office, it stated that employment was temporary. What's your point?

19. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Is the statement "through no fault of my own" a statement of fact or victimhood? As a statement of fact its perfectly accurate - he lost the job, it wasn't his fault. If he were to fill out an application they would want to know why he stopped working for company X and whether it was "his fault" or not. Hence the typical questions of where did you work, when did you quit, why did you quit. Generally the distinction made is between "his fault" or "not his fault". Losing a job because it was a temp position clearly falls into the category of "not his fault". It might not be the best way to phrase it, but its no more absurd (considerably less IMO) than saying losing the job was his fault because he took a temporary position.

Might it be a statement of victimhood? Yes. But w/o knowing him, his situation or his intentions I find it more reasonable to assume its not. Sometimes "not my fault" is meant to imply "its someone/something else fault", but as a mere statement it can just as well imply "it was no one's fault". So assuming that "not my fault" is a statement of victimhood w/o some further evidence is not very reasonable. Pretty fallacious in fact.

#39 dwmoeller1, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2010
  20. targus

targus New Member

I am aware that you are a full time college student.

That temporary job that you worked was pretty much part time and mostly during the summer when you were not in school.

Are you currently looking for and willing to accept full time employment while still in school?

If not - would it be right to try to collect unemployment if you really aren't looking for a full time job anyway?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.