1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Diaconiology in South Africa and Canada

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by PatsFan, Jul 8, 2005.

1. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

As I was surfing the net today I encountered degree programs at UNISA in Diaconiology. Canadian Reformed Churches describe diaconiology as "preaching, teaching, visiting, and so on," which sounds like practical theology. UNISA also has degree programs in Practical Theology, so what in the world is diaconiology?

[ July 08, 2005, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: PatsFan ]

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "diaconal" relates to deacon, so I'd guess it is training along the lines of being a deacon but have not heard of it being offered before.

3. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I initially thought it was referring to the ministry of deacons, as well, but after examining different websites it's clearly some type of pastoral care. Some seminaries in Canada consider diaconiology as one of the areas of study for a pastor's training alongside Systematic Theology, Old and New Testament studies, etc. At UNISA you can get a Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate (DDiac) in it, with concentrations in Missions, Youth Work, Play Therapy and Social Work.

4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PatsFan,

In response to your "so what in the world is diaconiology?" question above I would give one observation.

I did my doctorate at The University of the South's (Sewanee) School of Theology. It is a school of the Episcopal Church.

They have (if I have remembered correctly) a whole level of education and ordination for the diaconate. It is a "pastor's helper" type thing. They are ordained and serve in a subordinate position to an ordained Priest or Bishop or some such other higher ranking church official. They can do all ministry wise except administer the sacraments. I think this is correct?

In fact, one of my professors used me for an example in class once and said: the "Baptist deacon" did not even resemble in a little way what the Episcople Deacon was and did.

I believe also that in the Episcople Church one has to go through the ordination/training/etc. as a deacon BEFORE they can become a full-fledged Priest. I may be wrong about this?

I want to be corrected if I have missed any of the minute details; but I believe I have the "broad brush strokes" correct.

I believe that the RCC has the same type of thing. It would make sense since there is such a shortage of ordained priests.

Let me know of any corrections or additions that I need to make in the above post.

sdg!

rd

5. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

It's, indeed, an interesting topic IMO, rd. Apparently in Canada and in South Africa, particularly, diaconiology is an established social and therapeutic ministry.