1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did anyone notice....

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Bro. Curtis, Nov 6, 2008.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Your mother was only eight years old when the Great Depression began, and only twelve when FDR came into office. What would a child know about such things?

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kids simply repeat what they hear their parents say. The vast majority of the people where I grew up were FDR supporters.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She was an adult by the time it ended.

And even by the age of twelve, she understood hunger and watched first hand some of FDR's cure for supply and demand imbalances...intentional destruction of the food supply.

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Roosevelt took over in 1933. One of his first acts [as reported by the Cato institute] was the destruction of food.

The Agricultural Adjustment Act of 1933 similarly
    restricted production to keep prices high. “Excess” output
    was destroyed or dumped abroad. While millions of
    Americans were going hungry, the government plowed
    under 10 million acres of crops, slaughtered 6 million pigs,
    and left fruit to rot. Production of milk, fruits, and other
    products was cartelized to boost prices under “marketing
    orders” begun in 1937.

Roosevelt was all heart. His "fireside chats" had as much content as the speeches of the great empty suite BO but they fooled the people.

The depression continued until Roosevelt introduced the draft in October 1940.

You conveniently forget the recession of 1947 under President Harry Truman. I also believe there was an economic downturn in 1950 that may have initiated the Korean War.

Who was president in 1952? I believe it was Harry Truman. Was he the cause of the 1953 recession?

This was not a recession!

Caused by the misery index of that great leader democrat Jimmy Carter.

You conveniently forgot the recession of 1999-2000 caused by the dotcom bubble bursting. President, Bill Clinton, democrat

The current crisis was caused by the democrat policies requiring banks to grant home loans to people who were not qualified, not the policies of George Bush. Also the democrat refusal to allow more energy production in this country contributed to the high oil prices and the economic strain on people.

A typical democrat ploy, misinformation. Now crabtownboy why not go back and look at the president in power when certain wars were started.

WWI..... Wilson, democrat
    WWII.....Roosevelt, democrat
    Korean....Truman, democrat
    Viet Nam.... Kennedy/Johnson, democrats
    Iraq 1....Bush 41, Republican
    Iraq 2.....Bush 43, Republican

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    emphasis mine

This hit the nail squarely on the head.

6. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

You make these wild assertions but can't back them up. Have you noticed that the stock market has been dropping like a rock. I believe the DOW has gone down 42% in the last year. We had a global liquidity crisis that we may or may not have gotten through. Housing prices are dropping significantly. Lehman Brothers went bankrupt. Unemployment is going up sharply. GM may go bankrupt.

Do YOU understand basic economics? I doubt it for you to simply ignore all these symptoms of a severe global recession. I'm getting tired of you bashing me simply for political reasons. If I should set up a poll do you think the majority would say that we have significant economic problems? Then why do you say these stupid things?

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I guess I forgot that a twelve year old growing up in the Depression back in the 1930's would by necessity be more mature than children are today, especially considering that in that generation children were not addicted to entertainment like today, my mistake.

I know my father grew up in dirt poor in east Texas during this same time and he had a different outlook than your mother. People often view the same things differently.

8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Which wild assertions are those? Not having made any wild assertions I am not sure what you are talking about.

I realize that.

Yes, not in depth, but apparently more than you do.

I haven't ignored anything.

This too is a silly statement. I am not bashing you for political reasons. I don't care about your politics. Your statement was silly to pretend like the current economic problems are all the fault of George Bush. Apparently you don't understand economics enough to know that.

Of course. I would definitely say that.

I didn't say anything stupid, at least so far as you have shown. I did not say we didn't have significant economic problems. If you would take the time to read and think you would see what I said, which was that your blaming on Bush is silly. It is politically driven. The economic problems are the result of many complex issues, not just George Bush.

You need to go away for a while and cool off. Your gut reaction that gets spewed out does not help the conversation here. Before you respond, take some time to think about it and try to understand what is actually being said.