1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Eve Lie To The Serpent?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by standingfirminChrist, Apr 11, 2008.

1. standingfirminChrist

Genesis 3:2-3 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

I had always heard that Eve added to God's Word when she said 'neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die." And I had always believed that she did because of other's teaching so.

But tonight, as Linda and I were studying the Word, a thought came to me.

Did Eve really lie to the serpent in that statement?

I wonder if God may have instructed her not to touch it and it just was not recorded by Moses?

The reason I ask this is because of a verse found in Romans 5

Romans 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Was it disobedience that brought sin into the world? or was it a lie?

If a lie, then Eve lied before being deceived.

Theologians, have at it.

2. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Whether Eve lied to the serpent is, imo, superfluos.

Sin came into the world because of Adam.

Period.

3. standingfirminChrist

But if Eve lied to the serpent, sin would already have to have been in the world. And we know she ate of the fruit first and then gave to Adam.

Are you saying before Adam ate of the fruit lying was not a sin?

4. readmore

readmore New Member

Possibility: You can be wrong about something without lying. Maybe Eve had built an imaginary boundary around the thing she was not supposed to do, and after awhile she just assumed it was part of the original instructions.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Um, regardless, Eve was deceived; Adam was not.
    Someone once said that the problem was not the apple on the tree, but was the pair on the ground.

Ed

#5 EdSutton, Apr 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2008
  6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think she lied. I think they had added a layer of protection to what God had said. God said, "Don't eat". So they thought that if they never touched it, they would never eat it. So they added something to God's commands.

It's sort of like when people add man's commands to what God has said.

But I agree that it's not a lie when you're wrong. If that's true I told a lot of lies on the tests I took in school. :laugh:

7. standingfirminChrist

If God never said it but she said He did, that would be a lie.

If Adam told her that God said 'neither shall ye touch it' and God did not say it, then it was a lie.

Adding any amount of words to a direct quote of another makes the quote no longer the original speaker's quote.

So, if she added to the warning, and stated that it was the warning God spoke, she lied.

She would have lied before the deception.

8. readmore

readmore New Member

:)

I had a fairly lengthy reply prepared, but then I looked back at your post, SFIC, and I realized you must be joking...

Good one!

:laugh:

9. standingfirminChrist

No joking, readmore.

I am trying to figger this one out.

Either God told them not to touch the tree and Moses did not record it in the Book of Genesis, or Eve added to God's Word making it a lie.

And yet she was not deceived until the serpent told her ' Ye shall not die... ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.'

10. readmore

readmore New Member

Struggling with a passage is good and honorable, I know you're not joking about that. I mean the quote above. I figured surely you must be joking about that.

What if, as I originally proposed, Eve was simply mistaken? Is it a sin (a lie in this case) to be wrong, or to make a mistake?

11. standingfirminChrist

The simple statement 'Thou mayest not eat thereof, lest ye die" surely would have been easy for her to remember.

After all, she did quote the same warning, word for word to the serpent, but added 'neither shall ye touch it.'

To add that if God did not say it would be making His Word a lie; or as Paul stated in Romans 1 some would do... turn the truth into a lie.

12. readmore

readmore New Member

Okay, it sounds like you're unwilling to even consider the possibility that Eve was mistaken. Even though throughout history we've seen a pattern of people creating "boundaries" around the commandments that God established and then coming to consider these things part of His actual Word.

At least we can agree that someone who says something that is in error, but is honestly mistaken about it, is not sinning?

13. standingfirminChrist

Whether Eve was mistaken or not, it would still be a lie. She spoke an untruth if God did not say it and she said He did.

A lie is a lie whether told by mistake or on purpose.

14. readmore

readmore New Member

Absolutely amazing. I still kind of think you're joking.

I don't suppose a dictionary definition of lie would shed some light on this for you?

How far do you take this definition of lying? What if someone tells a joke... You know, someone says, "A guy walks into a bar... Another guy says, 'Ouch, that must hurt!'" Have they told a lie since no actual event occurred, in reality, as described? Have I told a lie by just stating a hypothetical situation?

15. JerryL

JerryL New Member

All things God said to persons aren't recorded. Maybe he told Adam not to touch it and Moses didn't record it exactly that way. Maybe he was just making a point that they should leave it alone, either eat or touch it.

16. PK

PK New Member

I am no theologian but if Eve lied and you think that this is how sin entered the world then Rom. 5:19 is a lie as well. Just a thought??

17. standingfirminChrist

The first time the word 'lie' is used in the Old Testament in the context of telling a lie is in Leviticus 19:11.

The Hebrew is translated 'shaqar' and it means

a primitive root; to cheat, i.e. be untrue (usually in words):--fail, deal falsely, lie.

The first time it is used in the New Testament is in John 8:44.

The Greek is translated 'pseudos' and it means

a falsehood:--lie, lying.

Neither definition are translated as saying'telling a untruth with intention to deceive. They just say a falsehood, be untrue, deal falsely, lie.A lie is a lie whether joking around or not.

18. standingfirminChrist

PK,

No, I believe Romans 5:19... as well as the rest of the Word of God.

I am just saying I think God must have said 'neither shall ye touch it' at some point before Eve told the serpent that. Else she would have been telling a lie.

19. PK

PK New Member

I agree 100%

20. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are arguing from silence.

This is one of those questions that you can discuss but never figure out. I personally think you are reading too much into it. When you get to heaven ask Eve.