1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did God make other saceint life in the Cosmos? (other than human or angles)

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Feb 16, 2009.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The interbreeding would be an impossibility. It's clear God created only one species in His image, and that's man. "Intelligent" life doesn't equate to being made in God's image.

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Some think angels interbred with humans and they are not made in God's image either...

And it was a hypothetical question. What about the Mr. Spocks huh? Do they inherit sin and thus need salvation the intergalactic half breeds? :smilewinkgrin:

3. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what I know of Vulcans (and I am a Star Trek fan), they are knowledgable of good and evil too. And wasn't that the tree Eve and Adam took the fruit from? I would think God's plan for all beings with that knowledge would be the same - salvation though Christ. Maybe Christ shed His blood on every planet that has beings with the knowledge of good and evil at the same time. God can do anything, you know.

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

This discussion has just become absolutely foolish. Christ died only for fallen man. He did not die for Angels, fallen or otherwise, PERIOD!!!!!

5. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I was kidding around since the whole discussion was hypothetical and not based on anything factual. Just trying to get a feel for what people thought with regards to this.

Here is a more serious question. Lets say our efforts pay off and we discover extraterrestial life that is intelligent. How many would lose their faith?

6. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

WebDog summed it up very well in his last post.

7. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not speaking of breeding in the second question. If there are aliens in the other part of the Universe and we discover them (not breed with them). By the very nature of their existance will it challenge your belief in God? How would you view the bible since it doesn't mention them? Or would there be rationalization that it does?

8. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

One of my later posts;
    The discovery of intelligent alien life should not shake the faith of any born again believer in Christ. I can't help but feel that if in our future, an intelligent alien is introduced to mankind, it will be the biggest hoax ever perpetrated upon humanity sense Satan deceived Eve.

9. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So are you saying a discovery of alien life, if found, is satanic deception? Huh. I guess It was good of me to tell them to run away on the Gold record thread. :laugh:

10. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Look, nothing physical can travel faster than the speed of light (186,000 miles per second). The miles traveled in one year at the speed of light is. 5,865,696,000,000 (trillion) miles in one year.

• 186,000 miles x 60 seconds = 11,116,000 (million) miles in one minute.
    • 11,116,000 miles x 60 minutes = 669,600,000 (million) miles in one hour.
    • 669,600,000 miles x 24 hours = 16,070,400,000 (billion) miles in one day.
    • 16,070,400,000 miles x 365 days = 5,865,696,000,000 (trillion) miles in one year.

Our nearest star is 5 light years away. (29,328,480,000,000 trillion miles) The likelihood of any physical race, regardless of intelligence, making that trip even as close as Alpha-Centari (5 light years) is very unlikely. Only a supernatural being can travel such distance.

As such I conclude that any introduction to an alien species will be a great lie. Why that in and of itself brings this verse to mind.

#30 Palatka51, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
  11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That's assuming that inflation theory is wrong (which most bible beleivers probably do since they hold to 6 day creation event). Or that Tachyons will always remain theoretical and never be discovered. Or that (eventhough predicted by Einstine theory of general relativity) wormholes cannot not be functionally used for transport. Or that special relativity theory would kick in even if you could go the speed of light.

12. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

The gravitational forces within a "wormhole" would be so great that anything made by man or even an alien race would be crushed down to atomic sizes. Now please don't give me the hypothetical "anti-gravity, force field"[​IMG]

13. billwald

billwald New Member

Maybe the space aliens are actually time travelers.

14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

A thought came to mind as I continued to think on these things. Wouldn't it be wrong of God to destroy any such life when He purges Heaven and Earth with fire?

If there is life (like us) out there they might be left hanging. [​IMG]
    IMO, there isn't anyone out there and if there is, God has never been one to take an innocent life. He even spared the animals when He destroyed the Earth by water. However, He just might give them an ark that is fire proof.[​IMG] Maybe there will be a Noah of their society that will build a star ship with "shields". [​IMG]Yet God says the elements will melt. Anything that is made will breakdown at the atomic level.

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Except the Bible is quite clear that Jesus died once for all, and that he does not die again for sins.

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never? 'They' haven't grasped that yet?

17. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I find it highly improbable that earth is the only place harboring life. I also am not expecting any ETs to visit, given the expansiveness of the cosmos.

18. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To say you find it "highly improbable that earth is the only place harboring life" indicates you are basing this on actual figures of "educated guesses," which I presume would be the probability of life arising compared with the number of stars in the universe, the number of these stars which have planets/satellites in a habitable zone (or possibly other life-supporting bodies) with an atomosphere and/or some long-lasting means of nourishment, and finally how long life lasts on bodies on which it does arise.

What are some of the figures you are using? ... Or, was that more of a "It just seems to me....." type of statement?

19. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

A little of both, actually. We also know that organic molecules tend to form spontaneously in certain environments, and while that doesn't equate to life, it seems like a big waste to have such a big universe and for nobody to be home. Kind of like God building a huge subdivision with lots of houses, and only selling one for someone to call home, leaving the others vacant.

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Unfortunately, apparently my humorous post of the "Star-Trek" crowd in the church service, with "Pastor Worf" pounding away on Odo, as the pulpit, Spock, Counselor Troi, Captains Kirk, Picard, Janeway, et al. has been permanently deleted from even the archives of the BB. :tear:

Ed

#40 EdSutton, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009