1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did John McCain Really Cause the USS Forrestal Fire?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Bible-boy, Aug 31, 2008.

1. YOUTUBECANBESAVED

YOUTUBECANBESAVED New Member

Bingo!

[​IMG]

You know i don't know if John McCain wants to go, "look at my war record route" I personally think he was an average to bad pilot technically and showed bad judgement with the wet-fire start and also getting himself shot down in a high performance jet the best we had to give him a ride in. Face it he had real time connections to cover up incompetence.

I really think he should try to keep his war story to the Hanoi Hilton and nothing else.

Bible Boy you are not helping your candidate by bringing this up , it opens up a can of worms, now if you stick to his imprisonment you have a story.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The official events on the Forrestal seem to be validated by a subsequent similar occurrence on the USS Enterprise on July 14, 1969.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I don't have any idea, but I know that losing 1 plane, 5 planes, 100 planes, or no planes does not mean he was or was not involved in this incident. That was simply a bad argument. Losing planes for whatever reason does not lead to the conclusion that a pilot was involved in some tragedy.

Think better before you post.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's funny!

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

You mean you don't know how many planes McCain lost, or since it makes him look bad you don't want to discuss it?

As far as the Forrestal incident is concerned, the fact that McCain lost more jets than the Navy usually allows, makes me think that he may have been involved in the incident on the Forrestal. It would fit his pattern of not being a very good pilot.

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

What did I say? (Hint: It's Post #23). Perhaps part of the communication problem here is that people simply don't read what is said.

That's a non sequitur. And it is therefore a bad argument. You should not have made it. He may or may not have been involved in this incident. I have no idea. But either way, it has nothing to do with how many planes he lost.

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I believe you response enforces my point. You don't want to admit to anything that will make McCain look bad as a pilot, but that's alright. Maybe McCain is innocent, but his dismal record as a pilot does present reason for concern.

8. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

McCain was also being shot at by the best AA missiles that the Soviets had, and supplied to the North Vietnamese. And if one wants to compare the military records of McCain vs Obama or Joe Biden, well...better not to go there.

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Then, like your previous response, you are thinking wrongly. My response does even address your point. (Read it, and you will see that.) It addresses your logic used to make the point. You used bad logic: McCain was a bad pilot so he probably was involved in this incident. That is not a good argument. There were likely many "bad pilots," none of whom you appear to be implicating. And this incident does not require a "bad pilot." So the thinking you used was bad. It perhaps indicates that you don't care what you say so long as you get a chance to attack McCain. This is worse than people saying Obama was a Muslim.

Why would you think this? I think McCain's record as a pilot is irrelevant (and being a pilot myself I think I have a little background in this area). We are not electing a pilot-in-chief. As president, he will have other pilots to fly him around. Furthermore, with respect to McCain as a candidate, I think he is a pretty bad one. The only marginally redeeming factor is that the is the third or so worst candidate in the race. If he wanted to be president, he picked a good year to get nominated. I doubt seriously that I will vote for McCain. I don't like him, and I don't think he will be a great president. But his record as a pilot has nothing to do with that.

Reason for concern about what? A 72 year old man who is probably grounded who might have been a "bad pilot" 40 years ago is a reason for concern? I am not sure what you are thinking.

But back to my point, whether or not McCain was a bad pilot, or lost 1 plane or 100 planes, your original post contained a logical fallacy.

10. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

First, no one has demonstrated that McCain did in fact intentionally do a "wet start" that day on the USS Forrestal. The official Navy record certainly does not bear out that accusation.

Second, claiming that McCain lost five planes is nonsense. The first happened in a training accident. The one where he was flying too low and hit power lines is likely a legit call for saying he was in error. The trainer had an engine failure (hint nothing any pilot could have helped to avoid). The USS Forrestal event was an accident caused by the mis-fire of a rocket on a F-4 parked across the deck from McCain (hint not his fault according to the official Navy records). The last one was shot down in combat by the enemy; however, even though his plane was badly shot up he stayed with it and delivered his bomb load on target before bailing out (again not his fault).

Finally, I did not bring this up. The poster LeBuick brought it up in another thread where it a was red herring seeking to divert attention to an off-topic subject (away from BHO). I invited him to start a new thread on the subject. He didn't follow up on the invitation so I started the thread to debunk the false info he had provided in the other thread.

Oh yeah, and when did I ever say that I was voting for McCain?

#30 Bible-boy, Sep 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
  11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I believe that's exactly what McCain has done. None of the stories I am seeing on google regarding the forestall look like reason McCain name would keep coming up in the story. If the bomb was on the other side of the carrier, weren't there people closer to it than McCain. How did his name get so attached to the issue? I smell good politics and another WMD story.

A s for the 5 planes, the fifth one he was shot down so I don't think we should count that one. The other 4 could have been saved if his dad wasn't an Admiral. He never would have made it in or through the Naval academy without his dad being who he was.

12. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Come on now brother. Read the offical USS Forrestal history of the event. It says the planes were parked on a carrier deck prioir to the entire ship's compliment taking off. They were park in two rows. One down the starboard side and one down the port side. Each side was facing into the center of the carrier before being moved into position for take off. They take off in a certain perscribed order. McCain was sitting in line awaiting take off. A F4 across the deck (on the opposite side from McCain's bird) had a rocket mis-fire. It was not a "bomb" it was a rocket and rockets shoot in a direction they don't just fall and hit things like bombs do (or once did). That rocket shot across the deck and hit in front of McCain's cockpit. McCain's name is not attached to the story in the official Navy record, the USS Forrestal Crew Association's retelling of the event, or survivor's stories posted on the Internet (except to acknowledge that McCain's plane was hit and subsequently destroyed). Perhaps you keep seeing his name associated with the story because you keep listening to and looking for stories that have been contrived against him by people who for whatever reason wish to discredit him in some way?

How could the fact that his father was an Admiral have stopped a training accident (his first ejection/crash), or the fact the he had engine failure in another plane.

Do you have some evidence and sources to back up your claim that his father somehow pulled strings so that he graduated (at all) from the Naval Academy? If not you have made a false charge against the man.

#32 Bible-boy, Sep 1, 2008
  13. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Correct. A similar accient happened on the USS Enterprise on (correction) January 14, 1969:

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/ships/carriers/histories/cv65-enterprise/cv65-enterprise.html

Guess what it was not John McCain's fault and he was not onboard. The main difference is that on the Enterprise the Zuni rocket overheated and exploded in place (it did not mis-fire and shoot anywhere) due to being too close to the exhaust of another plane.

#33 Bible-boy, Sep 1, 2008
  14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The one in the internet now or the real official history? As you like to say, you didn't address my question. Why is McCain name even in the story if he was on the other side of the ship. Now someone watched as the liberals cleaned up wiki. You mean the conservatives can't do the same?

First of all, he wouldn't have made the academy or been a pilot in the trainer if it wasn't for his dad. It is also a known fact that seems to be removed from the internet that McCain should have been expelled from the academy because of the amount of his demerits alone. His grades, well'', he graduated 5th from last so I guess there were 5 people with worse grades than his. The difference is those 5 people took the academy serious, studied and did their best. McCain is naturally brilliant and put forth no effort.

I know it's a liberal link but you made me do it...

http://theliberalblog.blogtownhall...._demerits_to_have_had_him_thrown_out!!!.thtml

15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, one account says that it was "another vehicle," while a different account states it was a piece of equipment for warming up the engine that overheated the rocket. This would seem to substantiate that the rockets had known malfunctions, that had nothing to do with another aircraft's exhaust.

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

And somehow somewhere, people questioned the cause of McCain's wet start... Oh, but he wasn't on the ship...

17. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

You are attempting to maintain that John McCain was fooling around, being careless, and "wet started" his plane causing a rocket to mis-fired from a F4 directly behind McCain's plane. So the burrden of proof is upon you to explain how a rocket from a F4 directly behind McCain's plane could have hit in front of McCain's cockpit if they were sitting nose to tail waiting in line for takeoff. So please do so and provvide evidence and source.

18. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Is there a dirrerence? If so please provide the evidence and the sources.

I guess you have a problem reading everything I say in a single post because you apparently missed it when I said in the post number 32 above:

I have not quoted from wiki at all in this discussion. Anyone can edit material on wiki. It is a good place to start looking for information. However, because of the nature of the site and the fact that anyone is able to edit/post stuff there you can not use it as your sole source. Once you find some info at wiki you have to check the reference notes provided then actually check those sources, plus do your own research hopefully in primary source documents. Do that and then you may have something.

Evidence and source please.

Evidence and source please.

Can you prove this? If so evidence and source please.

This link is just repeating the same accusations that you are offering here and neither the link nor you have offered the first bit of evidence and/or sources to justify your claims. For all I know you could be the poster "Black Knight" who posted that nonsense on the liberal blog you linked here. Another thing to note is that that poster "Black Knight" can not even get his dates for the events correct when he speaks of the same event in two different parts of his post. He give two different dates for the same event. In short no evidence or sources provided means I don't buy it.

#38 Bible-boy, Sep 1, 2008
  19. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Good point.:thumbs: I assumed that the "another vehicle" meant heat from another plane's exhaust.

20. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

What? No takers on providing the evidence and sources for all the claims being made against McCain... :wavey: Surely, no one is going to try and get us to accept that McCain's arm is so long that he was somehow able to remove, destroy, or otherwise hide every piece of evidence that could possibly discredit him?