1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Different theories of Salvation

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Craigbythesea, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

There are many different theories of salvation that fall under the heading of “eternal security” or “once saved, always saved.” I would like to explore some of these theories and what they teach and who were the first to teach them. And I would like to do this without discussing or arguing about the merits of the theories. Are there any takers?

[​IMG]

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Is this even possible?

3. Daniel Dunivan

Daniel Dunivan New Member

Give it a shot.

Grace and Peace, Danny [​IMG]

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There may be many theories but only one absolute fact.

How do you tell a crooked stick? By laying a straight one next to it.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Theories" of salvation? That is very odd terminology.

I'm thinking
    (1) Salvation by Grace alone of elect (biblicism)
    (2) Salvation by Grace alone of all (universalism)
    (3) Salvation by admixture of Grace and works (semi-pelagianism)
    (4) Salvation by works (heathen)

Missing your point, brother.

6. Craigbythesea

Here are a few examples, for starters:

• Lewis Sperry Chafer's theory of eternal security
    • J. D. Faust's theory of eternal security
    • Zane Hodges' theory of eternal security
    • James Newman’s theory of eternal security
    • The Lordship Salvation theory of eternal security, and it variants
    • The "Free Grace" theory of eternal security, and it variants
    • The Universalism theory of eternal security, and its variants

[​IMG]

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

See, were already arguing about the merits of these 'theories'. [​IMG]

I think number 1 here sounds a lot like the lordship salvation we were talking about. Slapping biblicism on the end of it is not making it correct. Number 2 is of course wrong, if by all you mean ALL. And missing is Salvation by grace to ALL who BELIEVE, comonly referred to as Once Saved Always Saved Easy Believeism.

8. Craigbythesea

James,

Perhaps you can help us to get started by outlining for us your theory and telling us who before you held to the same or a similar theory. And everyone, PLEASE remember that in THIS thread we exploring these theories and what they teach and who were the first to teach them without discussing or arguing about the merits of the theories.

[​IMG]

9. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

I used to believe security salvation for a long time.

Most of baptists strongly believe in security salvation.

I am baptist. I used to believe in security salvation, because I learned from baptist pastors, authors talking about security salvation.

I thought they are teaching the truths on the doctrine of salvation. Because they often, saying, 'I am a Bible believer'.

Throughout years, the more I learned that many baptist pastors, authors do not intepreting the scriptures correctly. I realized that many baptist pastors seem avoid many important passages or verses, as they ignore the whole psaage or context of verses what these are talking about.

For example: many baptist pastors often use 1 John 2:25 says: "And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.". For assurance salvation and also security salvation too.

But, seem to me, probably many baptist pastors ignore above important verse- 1 John 2:24 "Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. IF that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall CONTINUE in the Son, and in the Father."

John tells us, when we hear the gospel in the first place, we should be steadfast and abide in Christ all the way.

That is how, John explains verse 25. Christ promises us, that He gives us eternal life.

Christ never fail us. Unless, if we abide in him daily, He keeps us the promise of eternal life.

Notice, 1 John 5:13 is a popular verse that baptist pastors use it, for security salvation & assurance salvation.

Notice word, 'know'. Baptist pastors saying a person should not be doubt about his/her salvation. Because a person should be confidence and trust on Christ, because 1 John 2:25 shows us of the PROMISE.

Actually, word, 'know' means have relationship with Christ. Notice the book of the first epistle of John mostly talk about our relationship with Christ.

Throughout in the first of epistle of John telling us, that we ought walk in the light and fellowship with Christ, and we should be separate from the dark. That is how we are suppose to know Christ daily in relationship.

When in the judgement day, a person comes to face Christ sits on the throne, and a person will saying to Christ, 'Lord, Lord, I already done good works for you.' Then, the Lord shall saying to a person, 'I do NOT know you, depart from me cast into everlasting fire.' - Matt. 7:22-23. Christ shall say to them, "I never knew you:" Does not mean that Christ does not know who is this person. Christ is an omniscience, means He knows everything. Of course, He knows who we are. Christ's point is, Christ does not know who is that person, because a person does NOT have relationship or fellowship with Christ. Christ shall saying to them, "I never knew you: depart me -(why?) ye that work iniquity."

Lord does not interesting how good our works are. Lord interesting in us, that we ought repent our sins and confess our sins to Him. Word. 'iniquity' means wicked and sinful. The reason, Christ will send person to everlasting fire, because of without repent.

That's what the word, 'know'is talking about.

Later tonight or tomorrow night, I will make more posts discuss about salvation issue with verses.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

10. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Allright.

I believe that a Christian is once saved always saved by belief on the Lord Jesus Christ's saving work on the cross. His blood paid the total price for our sins, and secured our eternal salvation. We recieve the gift of eternal salvation by believing. Believe what? Believe that your a sinner in need of salvation... that Jesus Christ, the Son of God died on a cross to pay the price of your sin. I believe it was Jesus who first taught this. [​IMG]

John 6:47
    Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

11. Craigbythesea

Thank you, James.

Now would you care to outline for us your theory as to what happens to one who is saved but whose life does not reflect it?

[​IMG]

12. Craigbythesea

DeafPosttrib.

PLEASE remember that in THIS thread we exploring these theories and what they teach and who were the first to teach them without discussing or arguing about the merits of the theories.

CBTS

[​IMG]

13. Craigbythesea

Two other theories of eternal security that I would like some to post on are:

• The Preservation of the Saints

• The Perseverance of the Saint

[​IMG]

14. PowerndBlood

PowerndBlood New Member

heres my theory, i got it out of the bible and i believe it was Pauls theory given to him by Jesus Christ.

Romans 4:8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

or as it was in the Old Testament "the SURE MERCIES OF David".

15. Craigbythesea

Would you care to elaborate?

• Who is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin?

• How does one become that man?

[​IMG]

16. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Criagbythese,

Ok, ok, I will not discuss or debate with verses. [​IMG]

How about John MacArthur's theory of Lordship salvation?

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

17. PowerndBlood

PowerndBlood New Member

• "Who is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin?

• How does one become that man?"

Please tell me you already know the answers to those questions and are just kidding, if not i'm not sure anything i post can help.

Who = anyone who is born again

How = by being born again

18. Craigbythesea

Please feel free to outline it for us, but please don't criticize it.

19. Craigbythesea

Thank you for your reply.

[​IMG]

20. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Alright, simple version.
    Lets begin with what won't happen to them:

1Cor 6
    9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Christians who are walking in the flesh are going to stand before their Lord and Saviour and they will be judged for their works (as will ALL who believe on the Lord.) This is known as the Judgment Seat of Christ. Paul calls this the milk of the word in 1 Corinthians 3.
    1Cor 3
    13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
    14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
    15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

The disobedient Christian will be chastised during the millennial kingdom.

Hebrews 12:6
    For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

After the thousand years, there is a general judgment of everyone who was NOT reigning with Christ during the kingdom. Those who had part in the first resurrection are not dead at this time.

Rev 20
    11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
    12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
    13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
    14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
    15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

There will be some in death and hell, who are brought before the throne to be judged, and are found in the book of life. They are those who believed on the Lord, but did not live for the Lord in this life. They will not receive the reward promised for overcoming. But they will receive the free gift of eternal life, just a thousand years later than the overcoming saints.