1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Direct attacks on the Word of God

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by icthus, Apr 13, 2005.

1. icthus

icthus New Member

Please notice especially the first paragraph,

What do you guys think of these views?

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]I stand by my words 100%, as there is NOTHING that would ever convince me that in the original autographs, even the last dot is indeed inspired by the Holy Spirit. Even if an angel from heaven told me otherwise, I will say "be gone"

Hear the Words of our Blessed Saviour:

"For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, not one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled"
    (Matthew 5:18)

What is Christ here referring to?

"Jot", is the Hebrew "yod", which is the smallest Hebrew letter. And "Tittle", the Hebrew "keraia", a little horn, the point or extremity which distinguishes certain Hebrew letters from others.

Beyond any doubt proves what I believe is what Jesus Christ believes. Praise Him! For, here we have the Highest Authority of all, the Blessed Saviour, Who Himself has faith in even the smallest of Hebrew characters. Why? Because He too knew that every "jot and tittle" in indeed the Infallable, Inerrant Word of Almighty God.

I am very pleased with this confirmation from Scripture, and believe that this is the "kcock-out blow" to those liberals who whould have us believe otherwise.

Praise the Lord for His Most Holy and completely Trustworthy Word! Man, we are truly blessed!

:D [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. yabba

yabba New Member

This question could possibly be another post but I will ask it here anyway.

Open questions to all:
    Do you believe in divine dictation or divine inspiration? Why?

3. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Craig... yes or no, Do you believe that the original writings as ichtus has laid out for you.. do you believe they were without error.. Yes or No.
    If you answer no, then you and Hunter are in agreement. It's a simple statement, not a personal attack. People are shocked when someone says this kind of thing, but it's what we were taught in the seminary. I was acknowledging the shock that such ideas produce and was simply saying that its nothing new.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I cannot for one minute accept, that ANY person who has been born-again by the Holy Spirit, Who is the Author of the entire Holy Bible in the original, Who is also known in Scripture, as the Spirit of Truth, and we are told that He will lead us into the Truth, would have allowed even one "dot" in the original to be in the wrong place.

His information is wrong. His "spirit" gave him some bad information. There is no punctuation in the Bible. In fact it is in all capital letters with no punctuation and no spaces in between words.

Kind of like WOMANWITHOUTHERMANISLOST. Is it "Woman without her man, is lost?" Is it "Woman without her, man is lost?" Is it "Woman with out Herman, is lost?" Which is it?

There were no punctuation marks in the Bible. So a spirit was wrong and it wasn't the Holy Spirit.

"I cannot for one minute accept, that ANY person who has been born-again by the Holy Spirit, Who is the Author of the entire Holy Bible in the original, Who is also known in Scripture, as the Spirit of Truth, and we are told that He will lead us into the Truth, would have allowed even one "dot" in the original to be in the wrong place." According to the writer of that quote he must not have the Holy Spirit because there are no punctuation marks in the Bible as inspired by the Holy Spirit. They were added later by man.

5. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Inspired" and "without error" are not linguistically synonymous.

6. icthus

icthus New Member

I cannot for one minute accept, that ANY person who has been born-again by the Holy Spirit, Who is the Author of the entire Holy Bible in the original, Who is also known in Scripture, as the Spirit of Truth, and we are told that He will lead us into the Truth, would have allowed even one "dot" in the original to be in the wrong place.

His information is wrong. His "spirit" gave him some bad information. There is no punctuation in the Bible. In fact it is in all capital letters with no punctuation and no spaces in between words.

Kind of like WOMANWITHOUTHERMANISLOST. Is it "Woman without her man, is lost?" Is it "Woman without her, man is lost?" Is it "Woman with out Herman, is lost?" Which is it?

There were no punctuation marks in the Bible. So a spirit was wrong and it wasn't the Holy Spirit.

"I cannot for one minute accept, that ANY person who has been born-again by the Holy Spirit, Who is the Author of the entire Holy Bible in the original, Who is also known in Scripture, as the Spirit of Truth, and we are told that He will lead us into the Truth, would have allowed even one "dot" in the original to be in the wrong place." According to the writer of that quote he must not have the Holy Spirit because there are no punctuation marks in the Bible as inspired by the Holy Spirit. They were added later by man.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I am fully aware that there was no punctuation in the original. My words are used to show that I believe in a complete inspiration of the entire Word of God, as did Jesus with His own words "every jot and tittle". This is what is known as "Plenary Inspiration", and leaves no room for any errors.

7. icthus

icthus New Member

"Inspired" and "without error" are not linguistically synonymous. </font>[/QUOTE]Stop trying to split hairs, as there is no problem in using both terms for the Scriptures.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Dr. Cranford taught for many years at SWBTS and for many years received criticism from the administration for not making his classes easier so more students would pack in the room and they could fill more seats.

I remember early on that one of the students mentioned to me at how he was told Cranford was a liberal. After about six months in class the same student made a comment to me that indicated quite the opposite.

One of the requirements in elementary Greek was to do a word study from a list he gave us. We were to trace the meaning of a word from the beginning of the OT, through the intertestamental period, and as far as we could go past the NT. Amazing what all of us saw. We began to recognize much of the shallowness of what we had heard over the years.

Too many Christians are content to read what someone else writes and count it as true. They are content to listen to someone on Sunday and even quote the preacher. While at the same time not even consider the possibility that the preacher could be wrong. They do not apply Acts 17:11, "Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so."

9. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Dragon, linguistic synonomity is not the issue here. We are trying to find out exactly what Craig means, trying to get a profane statement from him.

10. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Inspired" and "without error" are not linguistically synonymous. </font>[/QUOTE]Stop trying to split hairs, as there is no problem in using both terms for the Scriptures. </font>[/QUOTE]Definitely, both terms can be used to describe the bible. But Craig can disagree with the Hunter fellow about the word "inspired" and also disagree with Dr. Tim's use of the words "without error". It isn't an either or situation.

11. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sounds like a tactic some folks in the bible used. [​IMG]

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The problem is in a real sense there were errors in places in the manuscripts that were later corrected by Paul. Paul just as many others had an amanuensis.

As I asked earlier, prove that the Bible is without error. You cannot prove it any more than you can prove an event from history.

Is the message of scripture accurate? I believe it is. But were the original manuscripts free from any error. I don't believe they were. Often they were dictated to an amanuensis or even written by the amanuensis and corrected by the author. It is obvious when someone like Paul writes, "I Paul am writing this with my own hand."

The standard they would have applied to accuracy is not the same standard we would apply to it living in the jet age.

Do you believe there were exactly five thousand men in Mt. 6:44 or is it there best estimate?

Mt. 6:44, "There were five thousand men who ate the loaves."

If there were more or less then, it is an inaccurate statement by today's standards.

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like a tactic some folks in the bible used. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Actually, Christ also used leading questions to get people to face their error.

14. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

Obviously one must interpret every statement in light of the literary characteristics of the time in which it was written. If rounding numbers or guessing the approximate number was the accepted or only practice of the day, should we expect them to have used practices of 2 millennia later, with ticket counters such? If 5000 men was an accurate statement then, it can only be interpretated today as an accurate statement by the standards of that time.

Yours, Bluefalcon

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is in a real sense there were errors in places in the manuscripts that were later corrected by Paul. Paul just as many others had an amanuensis. </font>[/QUOTE] Let's discuss an example to see if the scripture bears this out or if you are interpretting.

Men were moved by the Holy Spirit... God cannot make an error... Scripture had no errors in the original autographs... proof given.

None of this proves an error in the original mss... not even the use of amanuensis.

I don't know.... the Jews seemed to have had a pretty meticulous process for handling scripture and insuring accuracy. BTW, God's standard for accuracy didn't change before or after the printing press or xerography or the computer.

Oranges and apples. Estimates are not errors.

The actual text is Mark 6:44 and it includes a variant "about" before 5000.
    No. Virtually every measurement we use is an approximation.

16. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I could just as easily state that:

Men were moved by the Holy Spirit... Men can make errors... Scripture has errors in the original autographs... proof given.

I'm not saying that this is true. Just that your "proof" isn't proof of anything.

As for inerrancy, I will make a few statements:

1) I believe the bible is God's inspired scriptures to humans that is completely authoritative and trustworthy.

2) God did not choose to give us his scriptures by perfectly dropping them from the sky (or the way Mormons and Muslims believe they recieved their scriptures), but He chose to intimately involve fallible and errant human beings every step of the way, from authorship to canonization to transmission to translation.

3) If the original autographs were inerrant, our interpretations of it are not.

17. icthus

icthus New Member

The problem is in a real sense there were errors in places in the manuscripts that were later corrected by Paul. Paul just as many others had an amanuensis.

As I asked earlier, prove that the Bible is without error. You cannot prove it any more than you can prove an event from history.

Is the message of scripture accurate? I believe it is. But were the original manuscripts free from any error. I don't believe they were. Often they were dictated to an amanuensis or even written by the amanuensis and corrected by the author. It is obvious when someone like Paul writes, "I Paul am writing this with my own hand."

The standard they would have applied to accuracy is not the same standard we would apply to it living in the jet age.

Do you believe there were exactly five thousand men in Mt. 6:44 or is it there best estimate?

Mt. 6:44, "There were five thousand men who ate the loaves."

If there were more or less then, it is an inaccurate statement by today's standards.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Are you yet another liberal? How can you, if you are truly born-again, ever doubt that the original autograhps, which were Inspired by none other than the Holy Spirit, contain error? What error do you suppose there is in Scripture? Stop playing games with your questions such as the feeding of the five thousand. For your information, if it says 5000, then, yes, I fully believe that 5000 was meant. Why should I question this? Does doing this make me clever? Am I any better off as a Christian in trying to prove the Bible is with fault? I am of the conviction, that those who question the original writings of Scripture, are under a delusion from the enemy.

Dr Harold Lindsell (The Battle for the Bible), rightly made Biblical Inerrancy as the "standard" for being an "Evangelical". I myself would go further and make it the "touchstone" for Biblical Orthodoxy, and even question whether the person who rejects Biblical Inerrancy (Plenary), is truly saved. I know that this sound hard, but, what is at stake here, is the Character of our Perfect God. Can He Who is Perfect, have allowed us to be taught error? Maybe that whole doctrine of Salvation and Eternal Life, is an error, which some Christians introduced into the Bible 100 years after it was written.

18. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Men were moved by the Holy Spirit... Men can make errors... Scripture has errors in the original autographs... proof given.

I'm not saying that this is true. Just that your "proof" isn't proof of anything.</font>[/QUOTE]
    What? Men were moved by the Holy Spirit but overcame him with their fallibility thus introducing error into the words of God-breathed scripture? No. Your rebuttal is without merit.

19. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Who is the most Holy Spirit filled person you know? Can they overcome the infallibility of the Holy Spirit with their fallibility? Does the Holy Spirit make them infallible or everything they write infallible?

As I said in my first statement, the bible is completely authoritative and trustworthy.

20. icthus

icthus New Member

I'm not saying that this is true. Just that your "proof" isn't proof of anything.

As for inerrancy, I will make a few statements:

1) I believe the bible is God's inspired scriptures to humans that is completely authoritative and trustworthy.

2) God did not choose to give us his scriptures by perfectly dropping them from the sky (or the way Mormons and Muslims believe they recieved their scriptures), but He chose to intimately involve fallible and errant human beings every step of the way, from authorship to canonization to transmission to translation.

3) If the original autographs were inerrant, our interpretations of it are not.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I think that some of you guys just post here for the sake of it, and don't really know what you are talking about.

You say you believe the Bible to be "completely authoritative and trustworthy."

How is this possible, unless you believe in the Infallibility and Inerrancy of Scripture? How can you trust a document that you know contains errors? How do you distinguish which are and which are not errors? You will have to be God Himself to know this for sure.

Please use you head before you post. And ask the Holy Spirit to show you what you believe, whether it is right or wrong.

Why this determination on this board bu a few, to prove that the Bible is with fault? Does this reflect your own lives?

As Paul says: "who are thou man that questions God"?