1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

discouraging parent

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by steveo, Feb 21, 2005.

1. steveo

steveo New Member

I have a situation I wanted to get some feedback on. My father has always been discouraging and especially now since I am a pastor.
    Every time I talk to him he has something to say to bring me down. Right now he isn't living as a christian even though he claims he is. He does have alot of knowledge but never has lived it. He doesn't go to church and he is on his 5th marriage. He is my dad and I love him, but I'm finding myself not wanting to answer his calls or be around him. Have any of you pastors had a parent or famly member like this and what did you do? I have read scriptures like Rom 12:18, but just not sure what to do?

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

We have this issue with my husband's parents. They have never "approved" - ever. They do go to church and claim Christianity. But they often say cutting things like, "when you get a large church..." or "you can't know..." or "you know, to be successful, you really need a better car". Stupid stuff! Never once have they said "I'm praying for you", "I'm proud of you", nothing. Some people are just that way. Yes, it hurts. Parental disapproval or discouragement is painful. But learn from it, and mentor someone. Maybe you can be to someone what you wished you had had. Did that make sense? Hope so.

3. steveo

steveo New Member

Thanks Tater Tot.
    One of the men at our church has been wonderful to me. He has been encouraging and even says he thinks of me as his son. And we do have the best father in our heavenly father.
    I feel better about the situation today.
    When I posted, I just got off the phone and was feeling kinda down. ALot is going on at this time too. I'm having surgery tommorrow to have part of my colon cut out and my mother has brain cancer and isn't doing very well.
    My first year as Pastor was pretty calm , and now everything is hitting at once!
    Steve

4. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Goodness, Steve! That IS stressful! I'll be praying for your Mom, your surgery, and your realtionship with your parents. Keep us posted!

5. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Might I share a thought of encouragment for both of the pastors mentioned here. Thank you for your service to God's Kingdom. Regardless of what men think you are a success as long as you are being obedient to the Lord.

Bless you both and your families,

Bro Tony

6. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Aw, gee thanks, Bro. Tony. Tha was sweet. [​IMG]

7. Servent

Servent Member

A-men