1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dispensationalism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Nicholas25, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Is this a correct way to interepret scripture, or is it a scary way of putting verses and meaning where you want them to be?

2. skypair

skypair Active Member

The concept arrises because we already know there are 2 eras of God's revelation -- OT and NT, pre-Christ and post-Christ, right? And those who try to "blur the lines" between religious practice and beliefs from one to the other ALWAYS get into trouble! OT was "signs" -- NT is REALITY.

Now, just take that principle and apply it to Adam. Did Adam live under one "ruling factor" (what each dispensation is named after) or 2 -- pre-fruit and post-fruit? Obviously everything was difference after than it was before the fall.

Matt 13 is a good confirmation that there are 7 dispensations in the "kingdom of heaven" (the earthly kingdom where not all things or people are perfect).

skypair

3. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Dispensationalism is a system of human-inspired theology attempting to explain the Bible. Therefore, it uses the Bible to create its tenets.

But there are 2 problems: 1) Systems of theology are "models" created through trial and error. Yeah, Catholicism was a flawed model. But when the errors in Dispensationalism become obvious, the proponents themselves often say, "Well that wasn't critical to the whole." They never consider that the whole system was fitted together with carefully defined terms and one defective part destroys the whole "system." And the fact that there are weaknesses ought to say loud and clear, "We need a NEW model."

2) God doesn't need man to build more elaborate religions again (like Judaism became in the OT). He doesn't need man "carving little franchises"* out of His word under which they alone know the truth and are saved to the exclusion of those who disagree. Tha gospel is pretty simple -- for simple folks like me!

Ring any bells Sky? :laugh:

4. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Brother I have never heard anyone refer to dispensationalism as if it is the only way to salvation. We know that is Jesus in John 14:6. Dispensationalism does seem to give a meaning to verses that we just read over and kept on going. Some might say it opens up the Bible in a whole new way. It is almost a scary thing to begin to study something that challenges what you have always believed.

5. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

It is a joke Nicholas. I copied and pasted Skypair's response about Calvinism and changed the words to dispensationalism. It does seem fitting to use Sky's own words against himself. Sorry if I confused you.

6. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My thoughts agree closer to your second thought.

I see dispensationalism as a way for some literalist interpreters to rationalize sections of scripture that appear to conflict with each other or appear to conflict with the interpreter's theology by assigning it to a different "dispensation".

I would say it is a "valid" way to interpret scripture and that there are far worse ways to interpret scripture. But I would also say that it is a seriously flawed way to interpret scripture.

#6 Gold Dragon, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Anyone who believes that God has dealt with man differently at different times, is Dispensationist. Make no mistake about it !

8. Dr. L.T. Ketchum

Dr. L.T. Ketchum New Member

#8 Dr. L.T. Ketchum, Jan 3, 2008
  9. skypair

skypair Active Member

Thank you RB! :laugh: Yes, it is a human system --- only in this case, it doesn't change NT sotierology like Calvinism does.

But, yes, it is interesting to understand what Mt 13 means, too. :godisgood:

Joke's on me, Nicholas! You are right about us at least looking into and discerning whether there is any useful truth in some of these thoughts. I personally agree with much of dispensationalism. Perhaps one of the best books I've read on it are Clarence Larkin's books AND Renald Shower's book There Really Is a Defference contrasting Covenant Theology (Reform, basically) and dispensationalism.

skypair

#9 skypair, Jan 3, 2008
  10. skypair

skypair Active Member

How so, TC??

skypair

11. skypair

skypair Active Member

Yes, that is an interesting way to look at it.

LT -- have you ever thought about the "7 spirits of God" in Rev 5:6 as being the 7 dispensations? The "spirits" have 7 "eyes" by which God judges and 7 "horns" by which He exerts His authority. Of course, in any one dispensation there is a dominant "ruling factor" as Showers comments. But all are there in every age/era and are, as the passage also says "gone out into all the earth."

skypair

12. Dr. L.T. Ketchum

Even most Covenant Theologians will admit that dispensationalism RESULTS from Biblical exegesis while Covenant Theology is CAUSED by eisegesis.

13. Dr. L.T. Ketchum

I believe the "seven spirits of God" in Rev. 5:6 refers to seven manifestations of the Spirit of God (Isaiah 11:1-2). This is what is pictured by the "candlestick" (Temple Menorah; not the Hanukkah Menorah). The center Branch is the "rod out of the stem of Jesse (God incarnate in Jesus) with the six manifestations of the fullness of the Spirit of God resting upon Him and manifested through Him. This is what the seven Churches of Revelation are to emulate in the doctrine of grace (the supernatural enabling of the Holy Spirit throughout the Church Age).
    DISPENSATIONALISM IS ALL ABOUT THE REVELATION OF :jesus: IN "THE REGENERATION."

14. skypair

skypair Active Member

Yeah -- heard that before. Problem is, there are only 6 listed there. Do you see that "the Spirit of the Lord" WAS wisdom, understanding, etc.?

Yah got me on that one. :thumbs: I have always considered the Menorah to be symbolic of the church lighting the 12 loaves (Israel) by which they come to the Lord -- Holy of Holies.

I like that! I believe dispensationalsim is one of the "mysteries" hidden until the NT of which we are to be "good stewards," 1Cor 4:1.

Hey, we get along well! :thumbs:

skypair

#14 skypair, Jan 3, 2008