1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Distinctives of a Reformed Baptist

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Scott Cline, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Tim

Tim New Member

Scott,

I agree with your description of the forcing of NT concepts into the OT in the typical Reformed view, i.e. the "church" began in the O.T.

But I believe that dispensationalists are often guilty of the opposite error, i.e. pushing O.T. concepts into the N.T. age beyond their fulfillment and purpose. Here I would use the example that once God had brought the Messiah and the church into the world through national Israel--He closed the book on Israel as His nation. In other words, faithful Israel became the church and thus fulfilled it's ultimate destiny.

In Christ,

Tim

2. Scott Cline

Scott Cline New Member

I gather that you are of the New Covenant persuasion. However, the reason we dispys adhere to Ethnic Israel still being God's phisical people (besides the plain statement, "Has God cast away His people, Certainly not!", is that we interpret prophecy literally. Where the NT says "Israel", we read "Israel", and do not seek to fulfill all this prophecy in the church. Prophecy must be literal, or it loses meaning. Indeed, how could an OT prophet be know, unless his prophecies were literally fulfilled? and Jesus was often said to have done something that some prophecy might be fulfilled LITERALLY. And if you look at Luke 1:31-33, all but the Davidic throne has been fulfilled literally- are we to use a double standard on that passage by claiming "the right hand of the Father" is now the symbolic fulfillment of the throne prophecy? What I am saying is that prophecy is literal, so we literally interpret a very real future for Ethnic Israel in God's purpose. We are not reading the OT into the New, but simply believing what both the OT and NT said would happen, and realizing that it hasn't happened yet, so we look forward to thier future fulfillments.

3. Tim

Tim New Member

Scott,

I've been round and round on the subject of "literal prophecy" on this board for years. Basically--it isn't a consistent principle in the scripture. Some prophecies are obviously figurative, proven by N.T. comments on O.T. prophecies.

As far as Israel goes--no, God did not forsake them when he took a faithful remnant out to form the church. The church did not replace Israel--rather faithful Israel became the church (and we gentiles were invited along with them). He never promised to save the entire nation of Israel, only those who trusted in their Deliverer (Rom. 11:26,27--understood as a complete statement).

In Christ,

Tim