1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Divorce and Remarriage

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Soulman, Aug 3, 2006.

1. MorganT

MorganT New Member

With all due respect I thought I did. If a girl or boy is 18 and marries and then at age 19 divorces tell me how can she/he be fruitful and multiply unless she/he is remarried or has children out of wedlock. You are looking for a verse that says and you may remarry when or if and it aint there and we both know that.

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I'm not trying to put you on the spot by asking for these verses.
    No one on this board claims to have memorized all Scriptures.
    We all may have missed something which somebody remembers or knows.
    Thank you, and I think I understand what you're saying now.
    :flower:

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deuteronomt 24:1,2

When a man hath taken a wife , and hath married her, and it come to pass that she hath found no favor in her eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she has departed out of his house, she may go and be another mans' wife. KJV

#83 Revmitchell, Aug 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2006
  4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It would be a close call. Ford stayed on the ground so much he couldn't do too much harm. :)

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, she can, but it's still adultery, because God did not break up this marriage, man did.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What does that mean "yea she can but"? Either she can or she cannot. Either she can as in God allows it, or it is not allowed by God. So does this verse say that God allows it? If not the why does this verse say what it does?

7. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

The problem with this verse is that it is not giving her permission to go and do this. The KJV translators have added "may go," giving the indication that she has permission, but if you look at the literal translation of the verse "may go" is not included.

Here are a couple of literal translations:

CLV - When she goes forth from his house, goes and becomes another man's,

YLT - and she hath gone out of his house, and hath gone and been another man's,

It doesn't seem to be a verse of permission giving, but a verse of when she has gone and done this . . . this is why the original husband can not take her back because she is now an adulterer and he wold be defiling himself if he took her back.