1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do ANIMALS have RIGHTS?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ROBERTGUWAPO, Oct 2, 2005.

1. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Yep, do animals have rights? If deer have rights, then cockroaches have rights too!

(Incoming!)

2. Repent62

Repent62 New Member

NO, animals don't have rights...but we have the responsibility to take care of them. As far as rights that we have...the only right we have is to go to HELL! Praise God for the precious Blood of Jesus! [​IMG]

Covenant Chapel

3. kubel

kubel New Member

Yes. Animals have the right to be hunted, eaten, skinned, milked, worked, used in research, and domesticized all for human needs and enjoyment.

That doesn't mean they can be tortured or neglected, as I believe this type of misaction shows sin on our part.

4. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I don't see how we are able to talk about there being a way one ought to treat a person or animal without acknowledging some sort of right. I think people have a number of rights (see: The Bill of Rights :D ). I think animals have the right to be treated humanely. We are placed as stewards over animals, so while we have been given permission to use them for food or clothing or other needs, we also have the responsibility to make sure they are treated properly. To me this means not killing them without a good reason and minimizing their suffering. I am not opposed to hunting, but I dislike trophy hunting and think that the animal that is shot ought to be used as food. I support animal research because of its immense potential to decrease both human and animal suffering. However, I think we need to make sure that steps are taken to minimize the number of animals used, use the species with the least capacity for suffering that is still appropriate for the research, and explore ways of collecting the necessary data while causing the least amount of physical and psychological harm.

5. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Animals are part of God's creation. After God finished on the 6th day de declared that everything was good. He entrusted Adam and Eve with responsibility for overseeing His creation. This responsibility has been passed down to us. There is a feeding chain in nature and man is at the top. We kill and eat cows, chicken, fish, deer, etc. Nothing wrong with that.

What is wrong is deliberately trashing God's creation. I believe it's also wrong to kill animals for sport.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Animals don't have rights. We have a responsibility to God as to how we take care of His creation.

7. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

NO! They do not have any rights .

I do have the right to shout them thou. [​IMG]

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I shot a white egret once. Hauled into court and the judge was mad. But I explained my wife and ten kids were starving and we ate every bit of that rare bird.

He waived the fine then asked me privately what egret tasted like. I told him - a little tougher than spotted owl and less gamey than bald eagle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(okay, lousy sense of humor)

9. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

O that made me laugh. thanks ! [​IMG]

10. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

I agree. Anyone up for a hunt?

It is so sad to see the cases of neglect and evil directed towards animals. I believe that the one responsible should be treated the same.

11. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Animals do not have rights, plants do not have rights, rocks do not have rights.

Cruelty to animals is...well...cruel. People do not have the right to be cruel. Hunting is fine, the thrill of the hunt, the companionship of friends, honing your outdoor skills, successful results, all these are good things. I do have one question. Do hunters actually enjoy killing itself? Don't get me wrong, I come from a family of hunters and, if I had normal vision, I am sure that I would be a hunter, too. I am just curious, since I have never hunted.

12. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

They don't have rights, but we don't have the right to treat them cruelly.

13. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Animals do not have legal rights. But at creation, humans were given the responsiblity to care for and steward all of God's creation, including animals. How do you treat something that God has given into your care for stewardship?

14. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Dr. Bob every now and then you come up with a good one.
    Do animals have rights? No,but we have a responsibility to be good stewards.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Animals have whatever rights are granted them by manmade law. Whether those laws are sufficient or justified is a different arguement altogether.

16. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

So every time I go prairie dog hunting and just leave them lay right where I shot them I've done wrong. [​IMG]

17. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Hey, maybe they're good eatin'!

Like rabbit?

18. natters

natters New Member

"Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." [​IMG]

19. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

I like rabbit,I just can't see myself eating a pdog.

20. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I want to digress for a moment into the definition of a right.

Traditionally rights have been defined as something inherent. We do not have the right to freedom of religion because the government has given that right to us. The government has merely acknowledged a pre-existing right. When we start getting the idea that rights are granted by the government, we may eventually end up in a position where we have no rights at all. Then if people do not have inherent rights and there is not a way in which one ought to treat them, how can we argue that another government is acting wrongly when it takes away people's private property and stifles their freedom of speech? Clearly rights are inherent and existing despite legislation that violates them.

I have seen a couple of posts on this board in various places where people have seemed to say that humans have no inherent rights. Perhaps they merely mean to say that God can put us through hard times without infringing upon our rights because he is the sovereign creator. This is quite different from saying that people have no rights at all!

So if we consider rights as freedoms that ought to be rendered to a person merely by reason of their personhood, it is sensible to say that since there is an appropriate way one ought to treat animals, then animals must have some sort of inherent right too.

I think that because of the "animals' rights" activists we have become very defensive about using the word "right" in association with animals. However, I think it is appropriate to say that animals have the right to be treated humanely.