1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do Baptists go all the way back to the apostles?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by FundamentalBaptist02, Sep 18, 2006.

1. The Parson

The Parson Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hope you don't mind my interjecting and this may be what you are saying, I'm not sure.

1. The church at Jerusalem (The first, known as the Messianic)
    2. The churches started by the evangelism of the Apostles (Baptists)

Quick introduction here. The name is Tim. Pastor of River Of Life Mission Church, Riceville Tennessee. Chaplain Calhoun Tennessee Police Department. Parson of the Parsons Corner Internet Ministries.

Still looking for the introductions section of the board.

2. The Parson

The Parson Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Found the introductions section by the way.

3. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Of course it is! The entire New Testament was written by Baptists! (Ouch! Gotta get my tongue out of my cheek again!)

:wavey:

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tom Butler
    Either way, they were all Baptists. And they all agreed with each other. Uh, hold on a minute. Does that mean they weren't Baptists after all?

Parson Tim:
    Actually it was a tongue-in-cheek comment.

I really don't draw a distinction between the church Jesus established during his ministry and the churches started later. I'm not going to argue succession, but I will argue perpetuity. Because Jesus said the gates of hell would not prevail against his church, I believe that there has always been a New Testament congregation in existence. I also believe that as a general proposition, Baptist doctrine and polity is the closest to that practiced in the NT.

And, by the way, welcome.