1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do Baptists have a shallow view of Corporate Worship?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Onlybygrace, Feb 28, 2009.

1. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing;
    Our helper He, amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing:
    For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe;
    His craft and power are great, and, armed with cruel hate,
    On earth is not his equal.

Stirs me to the soles of my size 14 feet I tell you! :thumbsup:

When done well it stirs me to the soles of my size 14 feet I tell you! :thumbsup: Rather fond of "O Canada" as well. Spent many summers in the early 70s watching the Expos. My MIL asserts "God Save the Queen" is the genuine anthem, but I digress.

No. The latter is called patriotism. I love my country but love my God greater. There is no comparison between worship and patriotism...

For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand outside. I would rather stand at the threshold of the house of my God Than dwell in the tents of wickedness.
    Psalms 84:10 NASB

2. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

"So, you say you are a Baptist. What kind if I might ask?"

Erm...depends, how many kinds are there?

"Do you attend a local congregation?"

Oh most certainly my brother, us locals congregate quite often actually!

"Or, do you not want to answer these questions?"

I have the right to remain silent because it seems everything I say can and will be used against me! LOL

3. Victorious

Victorious Member

Okay, so let me ask you plainly. Do you attend a local church in your area? I mean one that has an appointed pastor, elders or deacons and acutally has a sign outside the building with a name on it?

Gee, you know what I mean. Obviously you are being evasive. I suspect you attend no organized church at all. Am I correct?

Frankly, I am new to this board myself, but being the curious soul that I am, I would really like to know what your religious affiliation is so I can see where you are coming from.

4. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

OK Victorious but this is only because I like you...you're open honest and passionate about the Lord.

I attend my local Baptist church I have been a member of it for the past 5 years. My home church(the one I grew up in) was also Baptist and I was an adult member there for 11 years but grew up in the church since 2 weeks old. I have been a sunday school teacher , youth leader , deacon and many other things in my local church. I don't believe in church hopping or being a lone ranger...hope this helps, oh and I am a reformed Baptist of Calvinist persuasion, not a liberal by any great stretch. How bout you?

5. Victorious

Victorious Member

Saved by the blood of the Lamb (in my head for 20 years, in my heart for 15), women's bible teacher, director of community outreach, published Christian author and wife of a Baptist minister.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I agree, but the comparison is interesting. There are many that don't have or show a great deal of emotion when the national anthem is sung. The same is true when singing hymns. There are others who will cry with the first beat of the hymn being played. Some seem to be a ball of emotions, especially in this generation.

Emotions are not bad. They are a by-product--whether it be of worship, or of patriotism. Many times our emotions need to be brought under control, if not most times. Anger is an emotion. If not controlled it is sin. If, during "worship," all emotions are "let loose" then one has an emotional frenzy such as is demonstrated in some Third Wave assemblies. It results in chaos. God is not pleased. He desires order and not chaos.

In corporate music the music needs to be the vehicle to accompany the lyrics which are to instruct, admonish, and edify the believers. If the genre of music appeals more to the flesh than to the heart it is wrong. If it takes away from the message of Christ, it is wrong. The "medium" of music must fit the "message" of the lyrics--the message of Christ, the Word that ought to be instructing us about Christ our Saviour.
    It shouldn't appeal to the flesh. But if emotion comes, it comes only as a by-product. The same is true of prayer--also worship. Some may weep as they plead with God in prayer. That is not a bad thing. It is a "by-product" of their prayer time. It is not necessary that everyone who prays must weep. But many will if they truly travail with God in prayer.

7. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

In corporate music the music needs to be the vehicle to accompany the lyrics which are to instruct, admonish, and edify the believers. If the genre of music appeals more to the flesh than to the heart it is wrong.

You make some very interesting points DHK and I have to say I agree with you concerning most of it. Just a question though. In the above statement you say:

If the genre of music appeals more to the flesh than to the heart it is wrong

I seems you are either taking issue with certain genres or saying that when emotions go awry in worship it is because of the genre?

8. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

Wow Victorious, you've accomplished a lot! Thank you for your interaction on the site. I hope we can be ffriends despite not always agreeing. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

9. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

Do we really mean it when we say that corporate worship is really all about God and not about us?

If it is all about God then ought we to be time conscious that we have to end after an hour just in case people become irrate?
    The same people spend hours waiting in line to get into a sports stadium for an event to start without a word of complaint.

If it is all about God should the criteria of our service order be making sure that the everyone is happy and catered for in terms of music choice and style or giving God what is due Him?

If it is all about God then does it matter more whether people stand quietly or shout exuberantly, close their eyes or raise their hands or whether they are responding to God from their hearts?

If it is all about God then do we prepare for the service with an audience of one in mind or the expectations of a congregation?

If it is all about God then does His spirit have the liberty to direct the service as He sees fit or are we in control and do we pursue our agenda?

If it is all about God then is His glory our pre-emminent occupation or a secondary consequence of our personal pursuits?

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

11. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Disagreeing with Aaron here. Worship IS all about God. The answer is yes.

Service should end when the Holy Spirit ends it. Ours does.

Let the Holy Spirit lead.

Sit, stand, raise your hands, run the aisle, it don't matter to me as long as it's real.

If your running a service for the expectations of the congregation you're in the wrong business.

I think my answers above indicate that i prefer the Spirit to lead. I love to watch a service come together as the he leads the songs, testimonies, message. It's awesome.

His glory should always be the priority, not only in Church but in everything we do.

12. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

Aaron, I think althoug you might be sincere you are a little confused concerning the topic of discussion...
    The issue is not the purpose of the church gathering publically but rather one of the facets of that gathering which is musically facilitated worship. I do believe that we are edified when we sing songs of praise to God but I certainly hope our own edification is not our motive for singing to God.

As regards the time issue, you are right we should keep our word, but then since the Holy Spirit is in control of the service and not us maybe we shouldn't be making promises to people that are out of our juristiction?

With regard to your points on decorum and order in worship, yes I have read 1 Corinthians, quite a few tmes actually and that's why I think we should interpret it in context. I agree that there should be order. But in that passage in 1 Corinthians Paul was dealing with people who were turning the service into chaos for their own self promotion and I hardly think that is the same as raising your hands or singing exuberantly.

As shown, the premise of your answsers is fallacious, so I await a more challenging an enlightened response...just kidding dude, you're entitled to your opinion.

13. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

CONVENORS VS WORSHIP LEADERS

We have a dubious system in our church where during a service we have a music leader and a convenor.
    It is the convenor's role to prepare the service and lead it, while it is the music leader's role to control the musical side.
    However, I often find that the convenor acts more like an MC at a wedding, simply informing the congregation of what is coming up next but not really facilitating an encounter with God through the worship.
    It is also obvious to me that many of the convenors are not comfortable leading the service, or singing or even worshipping.

I would like to get to the heart of this matter but can I start by asking some of you to comment on how things are done with regard to leading a service in your churches and can you share what your viewpoint is with regard to whether or not there is a difference between convening and worship leading and if so what that difference is in your opinion?

14. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just goes to show you how old and maybe backwoods I am! LOL!

Where I grew up, Baptists made a big deal about NOT calling the church service a WORSHIP service. (Nor did we have sanctuaries or altars.) Worship was something we were to do privately, and more than daily.

Where I grew up, the church service was to evangelize and edify. Therefore, the purpose of the music was not to invoke some warm fuzzy feeling or to make one feel they had "made contact" with God, but to teach theology and doctrine.

What is called "worship" today would have been blasted as eastern mysticism in that place and time.

And I guess I am an old fuddy duddy--I still feel the same way today. I don't go to church to "get", be it warm fuzzies or the hair standing up on the back of my neck moment, or whatever. I figure that is our time to give--to give the gospel to the lost, and to give Bible knowledge to the saved.

When I am in a service that promotes "corporate worship" I feel much like I would feel in a meeting promoting any other form of "corporate intimacy." Icky.

And while we may make a big deal about talking about how inducing those emotional moments is all for God's benefit, I don't believe it for a minute.

I believe God would much rather have us have a lot more of those emotional, intimate moments ALONE with Him, without an audience.

And I believe He would much rather have us use the church services to send forth His Word rather than seek some thrill or warm fuzzies.

And before you blast me, I know that is out of step with what passes as evangelical churches today. But you see, while not officially one I consider myself a Baptist. Not a Pentecostal. Not a Buddhist. Not a Hindu. And for sure not a part of sweat lodge religion, always seeking an experience or a vision.

I don't believe in public displays of affection, whether between a husband and wife or between Christ and His Bride.

Yeah, I know, crawl back in the cave with the rest of the Baptist dinosaurs.

But I also believe this: when we just cannot rev ourselves up any higher emotionally, this sort of "whirling dervish" religion will pall.

And once more, God's Word will accomplish its purpose.

15. JeaniMarie

JeaniMarie New Member

I believe that traditional hymns should be used in services. Worshipping God isn't to make us feel good, it is to praise God!!! And in Psalm it is said many times, Make a joyful noise unto the LORD. Not a pretty noise or a practiced and trained noise, but a joyful noise. As long as you are joyful in singing, God gets the glory. I don't have the most beautiful voice, but I have been called by God to sing specials. It is what God wants from us, not what we want from others.

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

But who decides what is "traditional?" How is "hymn" defined?

I agree with your other stuff...

17. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

It seems our services are a little different than most other posters here. We have no program. If a person feels led the sing, they stand up and sing. If they feel led to testify, then they do. If they would like for the congregation to sing a hymn, they ask and we do. Are there any others who conduct service like this?

18. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

gospelgeek, I think the way you guys conduct your services is probably the most biblical in terms of following the pattern of the early church. I'm not sure whther what they did was meant to be normative though. They kinda just did whatever in terms of mode and method but followed the principles and parameters taught in the epistles. Maybe they followed some of their own pre-christian traditions with regard to liturgy? Who knows?
    I guess the question is does the how of it matter as much as the what and why as long as we are not violating God's word?

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you have read 1 Corinthians quite a few times, surely you've read that the Spirit is subject to the prophets. Decorum and order are paramount in the outward observances of Christian worship, not what one "feels led" to do.

20. Bobby

Bobby New Member

Psalms 100:3-4
    (3) Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
    (4) Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.

:godisgood: