1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do Fundamentalists/Evangelicals Agree on bible Inerrancy/Infallibility?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Yeshua1, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

ANY of those cases/examples in mind?

2. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do the gospel accounts record the exact words of Jesus or the exact voice of Jesus?

Did they possible use the same words and put them in different contexts with different meanings?

#22 Greektim, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
  3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know what type of fundamentalism you came out of, but this blanket statement is an over-generalization. The viw you delineate is true in the KJVO circles of fundamentalism but not in other circles of fundamentalism. For example, when I was at BJU (1972) I asked my Greek prof who would make the choice between synonyms in the writing of Scripture, the Holy Spirit or the human writer. He said the human writer would.

BJU (the largest fundamentalist school) typically takes this position. See the writings of BJU prof Stewart Custer for example. Maranatha BBC, Northland BBC, Central, Detroit and Calvary Baptist theological seminaries would all take the view that the human and divine writers of Scripture should be equally examined.

My grandfather's book, Our God-Breathed Book the Bible, also takes this position. He does use the word "dictation" when describing the process of inspiration, following the view of seminal bibliology author Louis Gaussen, but spends two chapters examining that term and showing why "mechanical dictation" is a term used by liberals to mock the doctrine of verbal-plenary inspiration (the fundamental view of fundamentalists).

Concerning inerrancy, this is just as much (perhaps more) a New Evangelical doctrine as it is a fundamentalist doctrine. The major battle in the SBC on inerrancy that began in the 1970s was led by men like Harold Lindsell (The Battle for the Bible, The Bible in the Balance) and W. A. Criswell (Why I Preach that the Bible is Literally True). As far as I know, neither man called himself a fundamentalist.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

think that per the Bible itself, conservative Evangelical and Fundamentalists see it pretty much the same!

do see differences between Evangelicals taking "modern critical" thinking an applying it towards the scriptures!

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Fundamentalism started out as partly a protest against the higher criticism of the day. Therefore, evangelical scholars are much more likely to look favorably on the various "criticisms" such as form criticism (a fundamentalist no-no) and the like.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    seems that much of current evangelical scholarship wants to maintain the Bible as being a rebvelation from god, but NOT FULLY inerrant, which tends to open the door up to a limited infallibility for today!

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Creeping liberalism. :tonofbricks:

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are also other ramifcations which cloud the issue of inerrancy/infallibility:

e.g. Genesis Chapter 1 - Are the "days" of Genesis 1 literal sidereal (sometimes called "solar") days or symbolic of a period of unquantified time?

HankD

9. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that the question of inerrancy is a result of a non-literal gen. 1 interpretation but not a cause to affect a view of inerrancy.

And to speak to Yeshua1... there are various views and definition of inerrancy (even "full inerrancy). So one can claim to be evangelical and a full-inerrantist but still hold to a different view of inerrancy than a fundamentalist.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, and I agree, but others might disagree with us.

If I were involved in a pastoral search or an ordination I would ask about the meaning of a creation "day" in Genesis 1 even if inerrancy/infallibility were espoused.

HankD

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But isn't the Biblical view of inerrancy afirm to us that the bible, in original manuscripts/books, were without ANY errors, and fully truthfully in ALL that was affirmed, regardless of discussing areas of history, theology, statements etc? As the main contention I have with current Evagelistic thoughts in this is NOT towards seeing multiple sources, etc, BUT that there is a tendancy to accomodatecurrent thought too much, as in ending up with a final product perhaps NOT FULLY trustworthy in all that it touches!

Also think hank hit on a valid point, as some of modern evangelical thoughts as regarding the BioBible seem to have its authority based NOT upon the basis of beingthe word of god to us, but to reinterprete its message in current culture waya!

So 2 problems here... Inerracy and spiritual authority!

#31 Yeshua1, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012
  12. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Biblical view" is a stretch since the Bible never clarifies what you listed so neatly. Not that I disagree, but we need to realize that in this subject we are going beyond Scripture (not a bad thing, but we need to be aware). This awareness causes us not to be so hard-nosed and rigid. We should allow for possibility and even plausible scenarios for things like history and retelling accounts.

Another issue is the concept of original manuscript. What if the form we have now today took years, centuries even, to compile and compose? Which is the inspired manuscript? Just a ponder.

13. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word Evangelical has now become so broad as to have lost its meaning almost entirely. However, the historic Reformed confessions have the highest regard for Scripture as can be seen in the 1689 Baptist Confession:-

It will be seen that the issue of texts is not approached here because there was no dissension at the time from the view that the T.R. was the word of God (tho' men knew about the Johannine Comma etc.). I personally have no problem preaching from the KJV, NKJV, ESV, NIV (1984); they are all the word of God to me. Introducing that issue into confession and statements of faith only causes confusion IMO.

Steve

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think fundamentalist/Evangelical pretty much same way until the 20th century, when SOME Evangelicals decided to adopt the more critical theologies and "modern views" regarding scriptures brought in by the liberal side of Christianity!

15. FundyPat

FundyPat New Member

Evangelicals don't even believe that the infallible Word of God exists.

It does, it's called the KJV. But the majority of the apostates on this board don't believe that.