1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do Sinners go to hell due to rejection of Christ/Or Their Sin Natures?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, May 5, 2011.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

If I may tweak your analogy just a bit to illustrate my point: Suppose you have to pay a huge fine you CANT pay so you are about to have to go to jail instead, but the judge's son pays the fine for you, so that NOTHING is owed, its paid in full. The judge looks to you and says, "Your debt has been paid, if you will simply apologize for your crime and thank my son for his provision, you can go." Either you graciously accept the offer and confess, or in rebellion you curse the judge and go to prison.

NOW... Why did you go to prison? Was it because of your debt? NO. The debt was paid in full. It was ONLY because of your refusal to met the provision put in by the judge...to repent. "They could not enter because of their unbelief."

2. Skandelon

The only problem with that view is that God has equally determined "what we want," by choosing to judge mankind for the sin of Adam by making us all born totally unable to willingly repent even in the face of God's appeal to be reconciled. That is biblically unfounded IMO.

3. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Well said!

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question being debated is this: Which act of sin condemns a man, and which one saves him?

The noncalvinists are saying that all men are already saved from their sins, and all they need is one act of righteousness, that of "accepting," to complete the process. This basically means that one is saved by his own work of righteousness, and the only thing Christ accomplished on the Cross was a levelling the playing field.

What a small, small view of the work of Christ—comtemptuous really. To say that Christ did not atone for an individual, but for an environment.

That is not the Gospel.

[Edited: the question should read: Which act of sin condemns a man, and which act of righteousness saves him?]

#24 Aaron, May 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2011
  5. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

In your opinion, do both Cals who take it as being Limited atonement have the same "problem: here as those who believe in unlimited atonement?

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Wrongly said!

Many have lived and died without hearing about Jesus. they are rightly and justly judged by God for their sins.

This is bible 101;
    1]without Christ

2]aliens fromthe commonwealth of Israel

3]strangers from the covenants of promise

4] having no hope

5] and without God in the world

There will be no sin in heaven
    All sinned and died in Adam
    sinners who live long enough sin by experience also

7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe they slipped through a crack because the following did not take place.

For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

Part of the new covenant.

8. Skandelon

The problem may be less noticeable because it offends less of the biblical evidence, but the issue isn't avoided. Even if the Calvinist believes that the atonement is provided for and "genuinely" offered to all (even the non-elect), it doesn't remove the problem that God, by HIS own choice, judged all mankind to be born as enemies of God due to Adam's sin and totally unable to willingly repent in the face of God's "genuine" appeal to be reconciled.

1. How can that appeal be genuine?
    2. How can the non-elect be held accountable for their divinely decreed response to that appeal?

9. Skandelon

Can you say with certainty that all those who didn't hear about Jesus are condemned to Hell?

Did Rahab know of Jesus? Yet, was she not justified by faith?

The question regarding those who have never heard is another subject all together. It has been addressed before, but here is a link to an article that does a very good job describing a "non-Calvinistic" answer to this question...HERE>

10. JesusFan

Know Cals would answer this by saying that those chosen out/elected by God will have the message reach them some means, and Giod will do the inwrd work to allow them to repent believe and receive him

Would Arms have to somehow appeal to God reconciling World thru Cross back to Himself , and thus almost like God has already forgave them in Christ, so they would have to "not chose" Jesus, and take themselves out of their reconciliation?

11. Skandelon

I have no idea what you are asking. Sorry, but sometimes you leave out subjects, verbs or other key components for proper sentence structure making it a bit difficult to follow. The link I provided should answer your question regarding what we believe regarding those who don't hear the gospel. I hope that helps.

12. JesusFan

Sorry about that!
    was trying to ask IF Arminians tend to hold that God did fully appease his wrath towards sinners at Cross, reconciled them back to himself., and that he will thus judge them based upon the amount of light they got in this world...
    Almost like OT ways again for the heather, those who never heard... Thru Cross has paid penalty debt their sins occured to God, and IF they respond to whatever light of the truth they might have gotten, God credits their faith as good due to the Cross?

Almost like how He can forgive small children, mentally challenged etc by paying for their sins at Cross, and reckoning that to their accounts?

13. Skandelon

Yes, I believe God's wrath was appeased once and for all, thus providing the means by which every individual might be reconciled to Him.

Assuming I understand you correctly, yes, this is what I believe.

14. JesusFan

Interesting...

is that than a strictly Arminian view on what happens to those who have not heard about Jesus

I know that some Cals like me hold the same thing regarding how God saves infants/children/mentally challenged etc

have NO problem with the Lord using the atonment at the Cross thru Jesus to cover their sins...

Area still wrestling with is IF can use that to apply the grace towards adults NOW accountible to God for their personal sins!

15. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

No, even then it would still be because of your crime. Otherwise you wouldn't be in that situation if you think about it. Jesus paid the debt as the son paid your debt. Jesus debt is applied to our accounts if we believe as the sons payment is applied to our accounts if he repents. Otherwise, Jesus didn't pay for all our sins(unbelief). If Jesus paid for the sins of unbelief and its applied, then we don't have to pay for it. That's why I said the primary reason people go to hell is because of their sin. The secondary reason is because of their unbelief.

16. Skandelon

Not if the debt was paid for the crime. If the fine had been paid then the only thing keeping you from freedom is the PROVISION placed by the judge.

Sure, if I'd never committed the crime then there wouldn't have been a need for the son to pay the fine, so in that regard, yes, the cause for the son having to pay that price and for me being in front of the judge is caused by my crime, but once the fine has been paid then the ONLY thing that stands in the way of being set free is meeting the provision set by the judge.

17. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

but you still have a person going to hell because of a sin(unbelief) which was paid for on the cross. So if Jesus paid for our sins(all of them) and they are applied to our accounts, then there is nothing more. If I don't have belief, that was still paid for. That's why I say that if a person doesn't believe, then the atonement doesn't apply to them. They don't believe. They must now pay for their sins.

18. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    skan
    All OT saints knew of the promised seed.....the name was revealed after they left their bodies.....they know Him and His name now.

19. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Sinners go to hell because they willfuly rejected Christ.

From the scriptures...

And then, from a few posts later...

According to the scriptures, all men..without exception..recieve "light" that they can heed and be saved. Since millions of people never heard the gosple of Jesus Christ in thier lifetime, they are...according to the scriptures... still given "Light" that they can accept and be saved, or reject and be lost.

It will be Jesus they are rejecting, since in the scriptures He is referred to as the "'Light' of the world".

Is our God not amazingly wonderful!:thumbs:

Hope this helps.

AiC

20. Skandelon

If we apply your argument to our analogy it would be like saying the judge's son paid the fine for you not apologizing and thanking him too, so you should be released regardless of your response, which is not accurate. The son didn't pay to cover the provision placed by the judge, he only paid for the debt of the crime. If you don't apologize then you won't be set free...that is why it is "provisional."

Same is true of the biblical account of provisional atonement. Rejecting Christ unto death is a rejection of the provision of God and is not covered by the cross. (many scholars equate denial of the HS wrought gospel is the unforgivable sin mentioned by Christ)