1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do They Think Jesus Was a Liar?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am shocked and appalled over a newly published survey by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life. It finds most Americans believe there are many ways to salvation besides their own faith. Most disturbing of all is the majority of self-identified evangelical Christians who believe this.

More Here

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I went to read the question actually asked, I can see how people might understand the question differently. Because of the way they divide "religion" into Catholic, Mainline, Evangelical, Jehovah's Witness, Mormon, etc., I got the impression that they considered each of the categories different "religions" since they have some very different belief systems represented. On my first reading of the question, I wondered if they were asking if one had to be an evangelical to receive eternal life. I don't think so, especially since I don't think, historically, Baptists are evangelicals as a whole. (I don't consider myself an evangelical, whatever that term means this week.)

I don't think you can take the results of the poll very seriously.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It does seem rather odd.

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

I agree as well.

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it does not surprise me one bit. The Bible is very clear that the majority of people will not be saved (Matt 7:13-14, Lk 13:23). That includes many people who thought they were saved (Matt 7:21-23). You must remember that the Biblical Gospel is a offensive to lost people (1Cor 1:20-25). The very fact that you are shocked by the news you cited tells me that you have fallen for the "America is a Christian nation" propaganda. America is full of millions of lost people. People who reject Christ, deny His work on the cross, and want to do things their own way. What is worse is that many of these goats sit in churches on Sunday morning. I once saw a estimate that about 50% of the people on any given evangelical church's role are lost. I don't doubt it. That estimate did not include liberal churches or cult churches, only evangelical. My point? You should not be surprised at all.

6. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

There is a margin of error for people defining "religion" as a denomination. If they understood religion to mean Christianity as opposed to Islam, Buddhism, et. then its truly is a startling statistic.

For example, JWs answered in the 80% range that theirs is the one true faith. Evangelicals answered in the 36% range. Let's the evangelical was non-denominational or Baptist. Would a Baptist say that only the Baptists are the one true faith? God forbid!

I think we would see a different response if the question was asked, "Is there salvation only in Jesus Christ, or can people find salvation in others?"

7. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I emailed the following to the Pew Forum. I am more convinced now that it shows more than 30%+ of evangelicals think their denomination is the one true one. I doubt they were think of Jesus being the Way, Truth, and Life. But let's see who they answer...

8. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

We see a lot of that on this web site. If I put up a survey with the question:

Are Catholics Christians?

what do you think the result would be?

What about, Mormans, Jehovah Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, and all "liberal" Christian groups?