1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do we have to worship on Saturday not Sunday?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Sep 23, 2006.

1. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is insane is letting the Romans speak in place of God. God never gave names to days of the week - the Bible never says that Sunday = day 1 and it never says that Saturday = Sabbath. Other calendars have Monday as day 1. Neither one can truly prove the other one wrong because God has remained silent on the subject. So all you have is your traditions.

You have not addressed Acts 15 yet. If the Apostles did not bind the Law on the Gentile church, then why do you try to? It seem to me that Acts 15 would have been a perfect place for the Holy Spirit to move the apostles to command the Gentile church to keep the sabbath. Yet, that is not what happened.

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Opinion? Yes!

Proof? No!

Ed

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I wasn't going to enter this again, but just couldn't stay away. It's hard when you are having so much fun. :rolleyes:

But the question I have here is this. What about when I'm not now, nor ever have been Jewish? :confused: :rolleyes:

Ed

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Chemnitz does have a point, whether or not it is correct! :thumbsup:

Ed

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Whaddya know? As to the 'creator', BobRyan has a point, as well. :type: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Nothing like an opinion merely tossed out,
    >
    >
    sans support! :rolleyes:

Ed

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Hey, OcalaGator! Nice picture! :thumbs:

ed

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Hey, OcalaGator! Bring your hardhat and flak jacket? :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway, welcome to the Baptist board. And hey--Nice photo! :thumbs:

Ed

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Your friendly local hardware or farm supply store can sell you something that you can spray for those annoying crickets. :laugh: :laugh:

Then without being disturbed, one can - :sleep: .:laugh:

Ed

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Excellent point, and very well said. I have given multiple posts on other threads the fact that the none of the 'Mosaic Law' is not 'binding' on the church. In fact, Peter made the argument that the 'requirement' that was not possible "to bear", should not be put on the Gentile believers. The Jerusalem council had four 'instructions' or suggestions to the Gentile believers. Sabbath worship was not one of them. Not to mention, the many posts I've made have generally been ignored, as opposed to being answered. so I've basically not bothered with this one.

Ed

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    I agree with you. But not for the reason you give. The things prohibited were none Old Testament; they were heathen, and therefore, prohibited!

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    I don't find anything funny in your pleasure!
    You guys so desperately try to escape any 'rule' to live by! You want to be the 'lawless', is the impression; now lawlessness, the NEW Testament declares, is SIN - sin one must go to hell for, see!

But I am not ashamed to say, I live by the rule the Living Word-Law of God, Jesus His Christ! And by this Law, I find every reason for to celebrate God's Holy: "the Seventh Day Sabbath OF THE LORD YOUR GOD". You don't seem to have noticed WHOSE day! You don't fear Him? You don't follow Him? You do? Then taunt Him and have your own holy day every Sunday?

Explain that from the Bible as Christian, I'm flabbergasted, you funny people!

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The name - the 'technical' word - for the Sabbath in 'the books of Moses', is, "The Seventh Day". Like when upon the Seventh Day Israel marched the last time seven times around the city to have the walls tumble down; or the 'weeks' recorded in the story of the flood; et al. And the idea for prohibiting man, to work, is so that man would see God, WORK on that day like never on another day. Eventually the exceeding greatness of His Power was "WORKED" when He rose Christ from the dead -- no wonder it was "In the Sabbath Day's fulness"! It is how God rests.
    Long live the Sabbath of the Lord your God, scoffers or worshippers hear!

16. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What a great post. It is the ludicrous argument of the form "I don't know which day of the week is the first day of the week, I don't know which day is the "LORDS day" I don't know which day is Sabbath -- ALL I know is that IF I ever DID know which day was Christ the Creator's Holy Day I would try not to keep it".

What insanity is that??

I can't believe the extreme form that these "anything but the Word of God" arguments take when it comes to Christ the Creator's Holy Day!!

It is down right amazing!!

And YET God clearly says "From Sabbath to SABBATH shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to Worship" in the "New Heavens and New Earth". Isaiah 66.

Still the traditions of man - will continue to rage against that clear statement of the Word of God until the end of time this side of heaven.

In Christ,

Bob

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Originally Posted by BobRyan
    Rom 14 could be spun and eisegeted to "imagine" that there was a debate in the first century about going to church 7 days a week and resting on all 7 days.

No such debate existed. But it is a convenient "Story" to tell if the point is to misdirect.

The "actual" issue was the REAL issue of looking at the REAL list of "observed days" - the list presented in Lev 23. One man OBSERVED one ABOVE the others while others OBSERVED ALL of them.

proof:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost...9&postcount=53

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A little sanity please.

The Point is that the REASON all Jews and Christians AGREE on this weekly cycle such that Christ "rose on week day one" means SUNDAY - is that the Roman calendar gave names to the SAME days that the Jews had to live in when they woke up and went to work each day. The fact that a Hindu can give Tuesday "another name" does not ABOLISH TUESDAY!

This is incredibly obvious and yet those who cling to the vain traditions of man will simply close their eyes and claim to "be ignorant of WHICH day of the week is the Lord's day, WHICH day of the week is WEEK DAY 1, Which day of the week is the Seventh day" etc.

How sad!!

This is such a simple concept - hard to believe some are stuck "not getting it"

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The point being raised is that we should not trust science or reason or facts or history or AGREEMENT between Catholics Protestants AND jews on the weekly cycle today being the SAME one as was used under the Julian Calendar in Christ's day - using the SAME CYCLE that the Jews observed in the first century.

We should pretend that TUESDAY in today's week could just as easily be "The FIRST day of the week" in the NT as Sunday!

Now what is really facinating is that "so few" (or is it "no") Sunday-keeping Christians are standing up for reason in response to the absurd argument that we today have no clue as to what day is the first and what day is the Seventh in the first century as compared to today.

I know that people like DHK must surely know which day of the week is "the first day". But they are being very silent about it.

In Christ,

Bob

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Can't keep up with every thread Bob. :)
    I do have another life outside of BB, also.

However, I don't agree with your interpretation on Romans 14. It says what it means, and means what it says.

Romans 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

If I want to worship on every day but the Sabbath (Saturday) I am in my perfect God-given liberty to do so. We are in an age of grace, not bondage to the law. God has given us liberty, not bondage.
    "Stand therefore in this liberty wherewith God has made you free, and be not entangled again in the yoke of bondage."
    AMEN!

Free from the law, O happy condition,
    Jesus has bled and there is remission,
    Cursed by the law and bruised by the fall,
    Grace hath redeemed us once for all.

Think of other nations Bob.
    In most Muslim nations the only day that many can worship is Friday, the holy day of the Muslims. In some of these nations (not all) they have a six day work week. The only time that they have to take time to call people to a service to worship God is on a Friday--the same as Muslims. Out of necessity they come together on Fridays instead of Saturdays or Sundays. Would you fault them for that? One man regards one above another; another regards every day alike. To them it is Friday. Not because of Islam, but because it is the day that they come together to coporately worship the Lord.
    DHK