1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do words have a fixed meaning?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by skanwmatos, Jun 9, 2004.

1. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

So, Hank, when you said, "I agree with Marcia," you were not telling the truth? You actually meant "I agree with you" as you indicated in your second post?

And when you said "it was a trick question" you really meant "it was NOT a trick question?"

And when you made the personal attack "IMO most people feared your skulduggery and retaliations for their benighted answers" you really meant most people did NOT fear skulduggery and retaliation?

And when you say "I hope your sense of humor is as good your splendid wit and wordscraftmanship" do you really mean that or do you really mean to imply that my sense of humor is inadequate or that my wit and ability to craft words into sentences is inadequate?

I remember talking to my son several years ago and making a facetious remark about not having to do his chores because he didn't want to. He said, "thanks Dad!" and started to leave the room. I told him I was being facetious. He replied "If you would say what you really mean I might be able to understand you better." The wisdom of a 7 year old taught me quite a lot that day.

Are we learning anything?

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can see by all your questions Skan that you indeed have missed the point and misunderstood my intent.

Nevertheless I will try to explain.

I agreed with her that it was a trick question.

You are too rough on people Skan and in some of your posts you seem to delight in putting people down and heaping ad hominems upon us.

My agreement with you is concerning the overall venue of the post.
    How words and their dynamics are often so impotent to convey thoughts, concepts.

Another misunderstanding on your part.
    The sense of the statement had an element of hope that your sense of humor would soften the harshness of my other judgmental words.

Good avice out of the mouth of a babe.
    Over the passage of time a person learns the dynamics of communication, and that the actual words are only a small part of the story.

Correctly according to your criteria Skan. I did not answer although I had an answer but didn't give it for a reason I don't want to convey:

"God is love". Right or wrong that is my answer.

HankD

3. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Even though it wasn't?
    And this is pertinent to your dissimulation how?

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I didn't answer the question incorrectly because I didn't answer it.

I read Hayakawa in college, btw.

I read Heinlein, too. He was (is?) a sci-fi writer. I doubt anyone would ascribe to him any authority on semantics or language.

Fuller was an architect and futurist, not a language expert. Buckminster Fuller's views influenced a lot of New Age thinking. His books are found and sold on some New Age sites. Here is a sample of how he defined "universe:"
    Interestingly enough, there is a book called God is A Verb by David A. Cooper - it's about the Kabbalah (favorable toward).

More on Fuller (see, I told you that you were saying to me was not new! I knew about Fuller when I was a New Ager.):
    Fuller's name comes up on many New Age sites like this one:
    Sacred Geometry is an occult art.

I doubt that many Christian hermeneutics profs would agree with Fuller, however brilliant he was.

As for Korzybski, he had influence on the famed Gestalt therapy:
    I don't think most would agree that Fuller, Korzybski, Heinlein and Hayakawa, however brilliant they may have been, are necessarily right in their views on language nor are they necessarily the right authorities on language. They were men with certain worldviews which influence their views of language.

You think I don't understand, but I do. It is very common with atheists and New Agers, in an attempted attack on the Bible, to attack language and words. If words are merely imbued with whatever meaning we subjectively put into them, then they cannot convey truth, then how can the Bible be God's word or convey truth? This is a very common argument and New Agers will quote language and semantics experts to make it.

What is the implication of the statement that we bring a bias to our understanding of words? The implication is that we cannot truly communicate or that words are not the best way to communicate. This has become an argument used against God's word used by man skeptics and New Agers.

5. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Marcia, are you really Gail Riplinger?

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard with her Home Ec degree, at least Gail can bake cakes. [​IMG]

7. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

I heard her cakes were terrible. All she can manage is cookies. [​IMG]

8. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Words are coined everyday to express the concepts of the individuals doing the coining. Very often the individual doing the coining is doing so because he/she does not have a sufficient knowledge of his/her language to know the word or words that have already been coined and accepted by the more literate part of society to express that concept. Sometime, however, the individual doing the coining is actually expressing a concept for which there hitherto has been no word. This is especially the case in highly technological fields of endeavor.

Words coined by knowledgeable or well known people in works that are published or words that are broadcasted are often “picked up” by others and thereby enter into the language. Invariably, however, some individuals will read or hear these words and misunderstand the original meaning, and if this misinformation is published or broadcasted, an additional meaning will become attached to these words. Over a period of hundreds of years, the original meanings often drop out of use and the newer meanings become the only meanings currently attached to the words. And sometimes these newer meanings are very different than the original meanings, and words come to mean something entirely different in current usage than they did several centuries ago.

The publishers of Merriam-Webster Dictionaries became very sensitive to this in the 1950’s and accepted the fact there are no accurate or inaccurate meanings of any words, but only different levels a acceptability, and that these levels of acceptability are in a constant state of flux within several sub-sets of users of the English Language. And they also accepted that this applies to the spelling of words. Therefore, in their monumental Third New International Dictionary, they no longer made a distinction between correct and incorrect usages and spellings, but instead listed the usages and spellings that have been accepted for a period of time by one or more sub-sets of users of the English Language.

Prior to the publications of the Third New International Dictionary, millions of persons looked to the Merriam-Webster editorial staff as the authority of the English language and its usages and spelling, but with the publication of that dictionary, the Merriam-Webster editorial staff relinquished that authority very much to the dismay of many publishers, especially publishers of scientific works. Many of the editors of these works published reviews of the Third New International Dictionary, and about 20 of those reviews were collected and published in a book entitled, Dictionaries and That Dictionary.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's your opinion Skan.
    That's your misunderstanding Skan.

I've said my piece and willing to drop this line of reasoning.

Unless of course you continue to stimulate my thalamus.

HankD

10. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

That's your opinion Skan.</font>[/QUOTE]LOL! No, I am the one who formulated the question. I am the one who knows it was not a trick question, but one designed to illustrate the point I have been making (and you have been missing) all along. It is not my "opinion" it is a FACT. I know what I was thinking when I posted the question. For you to say "that's just your opinion" is just too silly to deal with!
    I don't blame you. Had I been caught publicly lying I would want to move on too!

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cults and heretical systems use this technique as well, redefining the Scripture by improper allegorization of which they alone have the key.

HankD

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, that's me. Disguised as a former New Ager and professional astrolger with a ministry to New Agers, and as someone who never reads the one copy of the KJV she owns. [​IMG] Pretty good disguise, isn't it?

Nice try on an ad hominem but it isn't working. I stand by what I posted -- those guys are not necessarily the last word on words, not by a long shot.

13. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

In the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, the Babel fish allows people to understand each other. It is said that the babel fish is the cause of innumerable wars and atrocities between civilizations. Because they understand each other.

14. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

It wasn't ad hominem. You say that General Semantics is "new age." Architecture is "new age." Naval Engineering is "new age." Psychotherapy is "new age." That sounds more like Riplinger than Riplinger does!

15. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul said:

[​IMG]

16. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Words have common meaning only to the extent that we agree that they do. Whether is good or bad is beside the point.

Now, I am at heart a prescriptive grammarian; I reject (what I think is) poor grammar. However, as much as I am a stickler, I realize that other people use syntax in ways that make sense to them and make no sense to me. I can maintain that they are wrong all day long, but it will not make a whit of difference to them.

As I said earlier, if we're talking about a dog, it makes perfect sense for me to correct someone who thinks a cat is a dog. But as to words about abstract things, we must define the terms before we can proceed further. This is done in many professions, by common usage and consent. Given the fractured nature of theology today, it is not possible ... except among those who are willing to agree what each term means.

17. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Does the fact that some people insist on a heterodox meaning for a theological universally change the meaning of that term?

As I said in my earlier post, "If you call his tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?" Still 4! Just because some people insist on calling the tail a leg doesn't make it a leg! And just because some people insist on mis-defining a word the actual meaning of that word does not change, does it?

18. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    To them, it does. I thought that was the point of this thread. Baptists are a breeding ground for heteredoxy, when it comes to that. Baptists were ripe for Campbellism, Adventism and, in a roundabout way, for Mormonism.

To me, "orthodoxy" is the Nicene Creed and the formulation of Chalcedon.

There is no "actual" meaning of a word.

I am confused. As Humpty Dumpty said,

"'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'"

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    rsr, is this from Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland?

HankD

20. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Almost, Hank. Through the Looking Glass.