1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you believe in monergism or synergism?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Apr 24, 2008.

?
  1. I am a monergist.

69.2%
  2. I am a synergist.

26.9%
  3. I wish not to say what I am (there is no other option than these two)

3.8%
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If faith is not given to the reprobate using your model, how can the reprobate be held accountable?

18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.[g]

The "whoever" is contrasted by those who believe and those who don't...not can't.

#41 webdog, Apr 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why do we have to conclude it was a unique relationship with God? They were in right standing with God as are those who are justified...not spiritually dead. Their faith was obviously not affected due to sin.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Webdog, it must be unique for several reasons:

1. They had no sin to begin with,

2. So they had no sin to repent of because of the fear of hell and the wrath of God.

3. They didn't need to trust a Savior to save them, because they couldn't save themselves.

So I conclude that it must be unique.

Now I can be wrong, but I need proof of that.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm glad that you recognize that there is indeed a group called the Reprobate .The Lord does not give them faith . It's His sovereign choice . They are held accountable because of their sins . Everyone outside of Christ ( including those who haven't heard of Christ and the Gospel ) are condemned and held responsible for their sins. The Lord is not obligated to give faith to anyone . But , thankfully He has interceded on behalf of His elect to do just that .

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And those who thirst are given that thirst because God caused it . Everyone is not thirsty .Outside of Christ everyone is really in need , or thirsty , but only some recognize their thirst . Do they recognize their lack because they have greater spiritual perception than others ? No , the Lord is working in their hearts .

"The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness , and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit ." ( 1 Corinthians 2:14 -- TNIV )

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If they are not "given faith"...John 3:18 doesn't apply to them. Who does it apply to then?

7. Outsider

Outsider New Member

Two very interesting questions. I would like for someone to answer these for me if you would.
    He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Both of these questions are very good questions.

If an unsaved person is equipped with the faith, they don't need to be drawn by the Spirit. They can simply choose to use (Work??) what they already have.

If an unsaved person is condemned because they don't believe, yet they do not have they ability to believe, then they are completely unable to respond to the drawing of the Spirit unless they are given this faith.