1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you believe the Church started at Pentecost?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jedi Knight, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

late on discussion

Brethren,

I know I am late on this discussion and perhaps the input that I am about to give has already been discussed and decided.

I believe that Acts 1:21-22 is the key to defining the Biblical point of origin of the church at Jerusalem. The metaphorical langauge "went in and out among us" an the word "accompanied" all point to a traveling assembly that began with the first baptized materials that Jesus assembled around himself in the first chapter of the gospel of John.

Matthew 16:18 and the word "build" can be just as easily understood to mean "build up" or "edify" and therefore speaking of a continuing action.

The setting in of apostles first (I Cor. 12:28) demonstrates that the church existed quite early long before Matthew 16:18 (Lk. 6:12; Mk. 3). Moroever, the church must first exist before you can "set in" anything. I personally believe it existed when the first baptized materials which also were apostolic materials were received by Christ in the first chapter of John.

These apostolic materials were the metaphorical "foundation" (Eph. 2;20) upon which the church was built. The reference to "prophets" in Ephesians 2:20 is to New Testament prophets ("secondarily prophets" - 1 Cor. 12:28).

Gospel redemption preceded the cross (Acts 10:43) and therefore the argument that the church could not be built prior to the cross is invalid and infers "church salvation" after the cross versus some other kind of salvation before the cross. However, I know of no salvation OUTSIDE of Christ before or after the cross.

What we have on Pentecost in regard to the baptism in the Spirit is not the creation of any kind of church but rather the common Old Testament variety of divine accreditation of a new "house of God" after the appointed builder finished the house (Moses in Ex. 40; Solomon in 1 Kings 7:3).

2. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Howdy Dr.Walter, And it's not too late to the party. Very interesting view!

3. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Howdy Jedi, good to make your acquaintance! I really believe the veiw I presented is the Biblical view. Thanks for the warm welcome!

4. Eagle

Eagle Member

Hey, Dr. Walter, and welcome.

I think that I have addressed this very thought back in post 144 of this thread - check the link below - and see if this is what you are saying - more or less.

http://baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1531774&postcount=144

There is also this from Post 190 of this thread:

http://baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1540410&postcount=190

Thanks for caring, and your input. I have not been able to get back on BB & respond to Allan, or anyone, for a little while now, glad to see someone else jump in!

5. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Yep, I think we are on the same page.

6. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We read that Jesus sang in the church. Heb. 2:12. The only time that Jesus ever sang, so far as we have any record of it, was at the institution of the Lord's Supper. Mark 14:26. This was before Pentecost.:smilewinkgrin: