1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you choose to (or not to) watch movies based on language?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Apr 6, 2008.

?
  1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  3. Other

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Your answer?

2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I voted "Other." Language (and here I'm assuming you're talking about foul or indecent language as opposed to some other language [Watching a movie in, say, the Serbo-Croatian language wouldn't do much for me if it didn't at least have English subtitles! :laugh: ]) is one of many factors.

What is the movie's theme? Is it promoting something that's ungodly? Are there graphic sex scenes in it? Is it advocating unbiblical ideologies?

Language is one factor, but for me it isn't always the controlling factor.

(Also, I'm only referring to movies that are on TV since it is a personal preference of mine simply to not attend public theaters.)

3. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do not watch any movies that contain cursing, including taking God's name in vain. If the movie is closed captioned, our "TV Guardian" will filter out all offensive words. If the movie is not CC'd, and it contains cursing, we shut it off without exception.

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Many times I have started a TV show or movie just to turn it off a after a few minutes because someone would use God's name in vain. They usually do it within the first few minutes, which tells me what the rest of the show will be like.

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I don't do so deliberately. But sometimes it is not easy to know in advance that bad language is used in the film, especially if the "language" used is what the world might refer to as very mild cursing. It's even worse with books. A number of times I have taken a book out of the public library, and had to stop reading a few pages in because of the bad language used.

6. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I don't do so deliberately. But sometimes it is not easy to know in advance twhether a film contains bad language, especially if the "language" used is what "the world" might think of as very mild cursing. It's even worse with books. A number of times I have taken a book out of the public library, and had to stop reading a few pages in because of the bad language used.

7. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I should have checked "other" i guess instead of "no". Generally we don't watch anything that is rated higher than PG with very few exceptions; but if the language is out of control we won't watch it.

8. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Bad language doesn't bother me nearly as much as sexual innuendos and bathroom humor. I can easily tell the kids if a bad word slips out not to use it, but explaining some of the other, well, :eek:

9. Joe

Joe New Member

Don't like bathroom humor one bit
    A little swearing is alright, more acceptable if it is in a joking fashion than done in anger

Watched Season 1-6 of the Walton's (old tv show) from Netflix. Son Ben hooked up with a married woman, even showed them kissing a few times :eek: Didn't seem to bother Dad, he didn't put up much resistance. Mother Liv pouted a little, that's it. We wasted hours of personal time watching about 20 disks of the Walton's pushing Christian family values then they pull this :BangHead:
    Planned on watching Season 7 but absolutely not.

#9 Joe, Apr 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2008
  10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have any particular rule, but if a movie is replete with foul language, I won't watch it.

11. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Usually the third one and done. This is to teach the kids that the words are wrong, but we don't run and hide from them or treat people who use them like a disease.

12. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

To me, saying that "a little swearing is all right" is like saying "A little sin is all right." Somewhere we who call ourselves Christians have to draw the line. If "a little" is all right, then maybe a "little more" is all right too. Personally, I prefer to live as though Jesus is using my spare bedroom. Would I be comfortable sitting and watching a TV show where someone uses the "SOB" phrase if Jesus was sitting next to me? What if they used His name in vain? I draw the line at "ZERO tolerance" when it comes to profanity, dirty or off-color jokes, or even slang words that I'm sure Jesus wouldn't use. When in doubt--don't. Just my personal opinion.

13. Joe

Joe New Member

This is too funny. Re-read your post above, wow.

We have no TV antenna so we haven't watched regular tv in many years. In 2007 Bb archives, there are a few polls about tv watching in which I encourage everyone to do the same. We only watch rented or owned movies and the majority are reviewed by myself using a Christian movie website called Plugged In. I allow a few movies to slip through at times, but it's rare. We watch very little tv.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I voted other. I don't want my little ones picking up "new words" to use, but I have come to the conclusion that lost people act and talk like lost people (big shock).

We are going to buy a TV Guardian www.tvguardian.com

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...yet eating "a little too much" is widely accepted amongst Christians, even occuring in the church. We are to be in the world not of it. The world sometimes uses bad language.

16. D28guy

D28guy New Member

When it comes to these sorts of things....cursing, lewd scenes, taking Gods name in vain, etc...as long as it is relatively few and far between, I'm pretty good at letting it go "in one ear, and out the other".

If its an interesting, engaging, and mostly acceptable presentation, I'll just forget about the occasional *problem moment* and keep watching. (A good example is when my wife and I saw the hugely popular "Titanic" movie a few years ago)

But if the problematic issues reach a certain point it and it gets to where I just start feeling like I'm in a cesspool, then I just turn the trash off...or leave the movie theater.

Mike

17. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Jon-Marc,

Sort of reminds me of the religious leaders 2000 years ago who hollered...(((UNCLEAN!!! UNCLEAN!!!))) when lepers came into town.

And what if a prostitute came up to you and actually wanted to touch you and be kind to you and minister to you?

What do you think Jesus would do if someone used the "SOB" phrase in His presence? (dont forget about the prostitute previously mentioned)

What would Jesus do?

I agree. I havent uttered a curse word since that moment when I was born again back in 1982...and I used to use sewer language all the time. I thought it was "cool".

But the lost DO talk that way. Its real life. Its just the way it is. One would have to move to the moon to get away from it.

Mike

18. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    True enough:
    1 Cor 5:9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
    10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.

However, to invite the world into your home via the TV or movies and allow them to use such language is careless, IMHO. I don't think Jesus would subject Himself to entertainment that dishonors God.

19. BaptistBarb

BaptistBarb New Member

we dont watch anything over PG in our house

20. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

So that leaves just cartoons, and some of those are questionable.