1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you know your history about the military draft?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by redbelt, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Do liberals put less value on the life of older warriors?

Do liberals put less value on the life of volunteer verses drafted warriors?

2. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Again, I don't see much difference between 18 YO dying and 18 and 19 YO dying. What's the big difference?

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This makes me wonder about the percentage of people enlisting to avoid being drafted.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I were drafted, I'd go, if I weren't exempted. They'd have to lower the medical standards to let me in (asthma). Also, I'm a minister.

If not for my asthma, though, I would probably consider the military chaplaincy at some point.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right there with you, NCT.

6. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

You were making the point that very view 18 YO's died in VN. I refuted that point. I believe in the sanctity of life as a Christian. That means all life, the unborn, American soldiers of all ages, enemy soldiers, innocent civilians killed during war. Do you care at all that hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians have been killed by this war? Aren't they human beings too?

7. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Check this thread for who wrote what on this subject. Check the official records for the demographics of those who died in the service of our nation in Viet Nam.

Most every American warrior I know cares about those killed in war. They absolutely care about their fellow warriors, most certainly care about the non-combatants caught up in the middle of it, and very often even care about their enemies once they lay down arms.

War is the result of a failure of all other means to resolve an intolerable situation. It can't be consummated without the consequence of death and destruction. Those in the land where it's fought will suffer whether innocent or not. Warriors understand this reality but, regardless, do what has to be done to secure a greater and longer lasting peace than there would be should they do nothing. In war there are acts of cruelty and acts of compassion.

Overall there aren't any more compassionate warriors on this earth than those of our nation.
    Our warriors take prudent care not to bring undue harm on either the land or the non-combatants of our enemies.

We tried to accomplish a greater and longer lasting peace in Viet Nam - for our benefit and their's - and today's warriors are trying to do the same thing in Iraq. Both are about just cause. Both generations of warriors need to know that. No war has been nor could be without sacrifice and without harm to those in the middle of it.

The added sorrow for Viet Nam were the years of hardship and suffering endured after we came home and after they lost their struggle for freedom. Few of us know about that. Remember, that South Viet Nam continued to fight hard until the last day. Many paid dearly for it in the years thereafter. What we fought against there was proved to be the very evil we claimed it to be. No one will ever convince me that what we fought for was wrong!

8. redbelt

redbelt New Member

FEISTY, HUH?

DRAFTEES AND VOLUNTEERS

* 25% of the total forces in country were draftees 648,500 as opposed to 66% of the ones in WWII.
    * Draftees accounted for 30.4% (17,725) of combat deaths in Vietnam.
    * Reservists killed: 5,977.
    * National Guard: 6,140 served; 101 died.
    * Total draftees (1965-73): 1,728,344.
    * Actually served in Vietnam: 38%.
    * Marine Corps draft: 42,633.
    * Last man drafted: June 30, 1973

http://my.eiis.net/cmart/vietwarstats.html

Here is my site, please give me yours.

My statement was based upon the information at this site.

Perhaps you were thinking about the number of draftees that actually served in Vietnam-that was 38%.

Have a great day, say no to drugs!:laugh:

SIGNED,
    MR. HOOAH

9. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Good job Redbelt! Just as I suspected the differences were in which grouping of veterans was being considered. Mr. Outerspace was wrong! Hooah!

#29 Dragoon68, Mar 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2007
  10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No you didn't and you can't. It's the truth.

All you can do is try to misdirect.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Ok, Mr Hoo(r)ah,
    Here is the site http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htatrit/articles/20061207.aspx

#31 saturneptune, Mar 5, 2007
  12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh huh.

I say about 1/3 of the troops that served in Vietnam were draftees and about 2/3 of the troops that served in WWII were draftees. That's close enough for me.:BangHead:

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I agree. That was the overall point. Not the fact of a few percentage points.

14. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

What's your problem with Redbelt's Hooah?

Wouldn't it be better just to acknowledge that Redbelt's numbers were also correct depending upon which group of veterans is referenced?

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I went back and read the string of posts. You are right. I took what he said as saying my numbers were wrong. This is probably a result of different ratios from different articles.

#35 saturneptune, Mar 5, 2007
  16. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Yes, the numbers depend on which group was being considered - i.e. all service members in the military during the era, all in the Viet Nam theater of operations, all on the ground in Viet Nam, etc. It's been analyzed a lot of different ways. There's a lot of data out there now that just wasn't readily available a decade ago.

One observation I recall is that regardless whether volunteered or drafted the men I served with during both tours in Viet Nam did their jobs well. If the subject didn't come up you probably wouldn't know the difference in their status. Everyone was treated the same regardless.

Memories - so much remembered, so much forgotten, and so much never known or understood!