1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do you take evangelism seriously?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't keep track. I thought you have counseled that those who disagree with you should chase rabbits. Now you are saying your critics are rabbits?

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. Best wishes in your evangelism.

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, that "all Christians are called to" be witnesses, but NOT to be evangelists. That is clearly a specific given in the letter by Paul.

As such, I go out DAILY, as a witness, not just "once a month."

The sentiment expressed by you and evangelist is understandable, but his application is wrong thinking.

The believer cannot nor should they attempt to separate the secular time and the sacred time in their life and living. Every aspect of living and life is to be sacred to the believer. As such, the witness, and the work of God through us is not "pigeon holed" into some day, or hour, but is a continuum. The events that plan our day are mere chances to display in living form the Christ, and as God gives opportunity, to verbally witness of His goodness to us as a result of the Cross.

Too often the believers are putting on a coat of duty, and neglecting that that coat is never to be taken off, even in time of rest and relaxation.

We are witnesses, and SOME are given to be preachers, teachers, and evangelists.

• Like Like x 1
  4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is true however it is the duty of all Christians to evangelize. Not all are going to be a Ray Comfort but all need to be out witnessing.

Mk 16:15, Acts 1:8

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some I prefer to be rabbits or at least acting like a rabbit.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm......

7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a question for those who Evangelize and Witness what is your motive and agenda?... Brother Glen

8. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure what this means.

Please do not think that any criticisms of your methods or opinions of what others ought to do are criticisms of your motives. I think that your zeal is commendable. Admittedly, I ought to make that clearer.

#28 Rolfe, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Out of love for God and to obey the great commission. I do is mostly because I like it and count it a privilege.

10. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I evangelize and witness with my life and how I treat others... I heard a minister one time say I would rather see a sermon than hear one... I feel evangelizing and witnessing go with these verses, leave these out and your evangelizing and witnessing is useless... Brother Glen

Matthew 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

11. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't recall where Philip discipled the Ethiopian Eunuch in Acts 8. Preaching the gospel is evangelizing, even if there isn't a chance to disciple.

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Ok well you don't get to ignore Matthew 28:18-20

13. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    if what you're saying is true, then Philip didn't evangelize the Eunuch.

There are times where God leads us to people and allows us to witness to them, and then we may not ever see them again, There are times where we preach the Gospel and people reject it, you can't disciple someone who rejects salvation. I have lead people to the Lord, who would not allow me to disciple them due to disinterest, etc.. (perhaps they did not really get saved). For you to say that because I didn't disciple them I was not doing the work of evangelism is bogus. The Evangel is described in 1 Cor 15:1-4 as the death burial and resurrection of Christ, an Evangelist is a preacher of the evangel, evangelism is preaching the evangel. My job is to preach the gospel, the results are not up to me, my work and labor of evangelism is not defined by the number of disciples I get, Christ builds his church not me, I simply preach the gospel.Now if God allows me to work with someone you bet I am gonna help disciple them, but sometimes we don't get people who have a desire for discipleship. It would seem from Evan's posts that this is the case with him.

I wish when I was a drug addict in my sins I would have had someone like Evan come along and handed me a tract or something.. Perhaps you seem to forget that while your over here criticizing him because in your mind he doesn't make disciples, the people he does hand tracts to are on their way to eternal hell fire.

There are certainly things with him i don't agree with, like his Calvinism, but for the fact that he's doing any type of Gospel ministry in this wicked world brings joy to my heart.

Ph 1:15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:
    16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:
    17 But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.
    18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

#33 Jordan Kurecki, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  14. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it is important to note that Philip didn't have any say in whether or not he was going to disciple the eunuch. The Spirit physically "teleported" him to a new location (Acts 8:39-40):

When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord carried Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him any longer. But he went on his way rejoicing. Philip appeared in Azotus, and he was traveling and evangelizing all the towns until he came to Caesarea.

As The Rev pointed out, we don't get to ignore Jesus' clear teaching about discipleship, not merely evangelism, being the commission of the people of Jesus. There are some instances when it is just not possible - or God may even prevent it like with Philip - but each one of us needs to take the call of Jesus to disciple quite seriously.

15. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, But I don't recall where Evan said he is unwilling to disciple or thinks it isn't important.

Seems to me like this is just a strawman for people to tear down so they can feel good while doing it.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes Mitchell loves to do this with me sadly. Yet he still has not found the rabbit in his church lawn.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How are you better than the Mormons? If you refuse to give out tracts or open air preach how then is your life witness better?

18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So his "life witness" isn't enough? He must also give out tracts, or open-air preach?

• Like Like x 1
  19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He must preach the gospel to people so that they may repent and received the good news. This means talking with lost people.

20. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But he didn't say he doesn't talk with lost people; he indicated he talks with them individually, rather than speak to a group like checking to see if tge spaggetti's done: throw it at the wall and see if any of it sticks.