1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do YOu trust anti Christ movie ratings?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

After seeing this thread, I had to wonder, how many of us watch movies based on the rating from an industry that has proven itself to be anti Christian?

Also, by what values are/should movies be rated?

By secular humanist values? Christian values?
    What?

2. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ratings need ratings

Sometimes the MPAA ratings are not accurate indications of viewing quality for Christians. I have noticed that a few movies or cartoons will be rated G that have mild swearing and obviously blatent sexual connotations, while other movies that seem completely innocent and entertaining with good moral quality and absolutely no swearing or suggestive messages will be rated PG for "mild peril" or "action" for rollar-coaster-like scenes.

TV ratings are especially suspect. There is a good show on TV Land from the 60's called Family Affair, which is kind of like Leave it to Beaver. As one episode began the little rating symbol in the corner said "TV-PG". I was totally taken back and was curious as to how in the world any episode from this show could be rated "PG". As I was watching, I noticed that one of the girls was upset because she was afraid of becoming a "spinster." Oh, I get it! If something is politically incorrect it can also carry a non-G rating. I have also seen things rated PG for "thematic elements" where the only "thematic elements" were religious subject matter (i.e. Christianity). Many things that have Christian elements in them will carry a PG rating, because it is not safe for children to view such things without "parental guidance" to make sure that they understand that it is not true.

3. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Here is what I think is happining. I think in an effort to take some of the subjectiveness out of the rateing they just have catigories. Like "thematic events" This category would include any religious or supernateral theme.

The catigory may include Baptist movies, Mormon movies, horror movies (where ghosts or poltergists are in it).

To be fair they can not be biased toward one system of belief, in other words they can not give baptist movies a G and mormon and horror movies a PG. When they both contain religious content.

So if you want "Facing the Giants" to have a G then you should also want "Polterguist" to have a G and "Mormons and Mobsters" to have a G. I think you are biased on the subject. If they give "Mormons and Mobsters" a PG rateing are the still calling good, evil.

Religion is a touchy subject. No subject can offend people as easly as religion. It is fair to warn parents that this is a movie that may offend them and they need to decide if they want their kids to watch.

All a PG rateing is saying is parents need to look at this movie before letting their kids watch and decide.

I see nothing wrong with that.

4. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Movie ratings

A good and trustworthy movie review is given on Christian Spotlight on the Movies. Even the very old movies and current ones are rated as to being appropriate for Christians and comments are given by different ones who saw the movie. Its a great resourse.

5. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I agree with DeeJay, and others, MPAA ratings are subjective. A PG rating is not a "bad" rating, it is a signal for parents to look into the movie before they let their kids see it. Some parents do not want their kids seeing movies that have a lot of thematic content. I think people are tending to make a big deal out of nothing. Besides if it was not rated by the MPAA it would receive the NR rating, which could be worse. The MPAA is not calling good evil, or even making a statement about religion, other than parents need to be aware there are religious thematic elements in the film. They will do the same with our film, which has strong thematic elements and adult content, but not violence, nudity, or swearing. We expect a PG-13 rating, but are ready for anything.

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Yes, but why should there ever be a G rated movie?

What is the basis for the ratings?

Why are there different ratings?
    WHo says one thing is wrong or potentially objectionable?

My point is that it is impossible to have an unbiased rating.
    There will be a bias and the bias of the MPAA is anything but Christian.

My suggestion is forget about the ratings and take things one movie at a time.