1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doctors transplant windpipe with stem cells

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/18/AR2008111802990.html?hpid=sec-health

Wow, with her own stem cells! Very interesting breakthrough.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Thats the amazing part. It really hurts those who approve of child murder using stem cells for an excuse.

3. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume when you say hurt you mean hurts their argument for embronic stem cell research. Yes, that was my first thought. It seems to me there is great possibility with this breakthrough. It would be wondeful if cures for ALS, MS, diabetes, etc. can be found ... also cures for cancers.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Using stem cells does not necessarily mean using embryonic stem cells.

5. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is correct and that is why this was so interesting and exciting.

6. targus

targus New Member

[personal attack deleted]

No doubt you were aware that Obama is planning on pushing the creation and then destruction of life for research which to date has produced nothing.

http://lifenews.com/bio2637.html

"Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- During the presidential campaign, there was little question that Barack Obama would reverse President Bush's limits on making taxpayers fund embryonic stem cell research. The person Obama named to manage transition activities related to bioethics issues appears to guarantee Obama's direction.

Funding of the research has upset pro-life advocates because it involves the destruction of human life.

Embryonic stem cell research has also failed to overcome significant hurdles preventing it from helping patients, such as the growth of tumors and rejection by the immune system when cells are transplanted.

Last week, Obama named Jonathan Moreno, a professor of medical ethics at the University of Pennsylvania, to head up bioethics efforts.

In an interview with the Pew Forum in July, Moreno made it clear that he strongly supports embryonic stem cell research funding and has little regard for human life at its earliest stage."

#6 targus, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2008
  7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Please stay on topic

8. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. This is about a new breakthrough, not politics.

9. targus

targus New Member

Perhaps I could restate it in a way that would not be interpreted as an "attack" or "off topic".

Yes, I find this to be a very interesting topic too.

I can't help but wonder if it would have been more fruitful or relevant to have discussed this issue before the election considering that Obama appears to be set on promoting embryonic stem cell research no matter what evidence shows it to be a dead end in terms of cures to be discovered.

I say this in response to the happiness that the originator of the thread expresses at the prospect of successful results of stem cell research which do not require the destruction on human life.

I can't help think that I too could share in that happiness had there been the equal possibility that those successes could have the possibility of reducing the emphasis on embryonic stem cell research. But that window of opportunity seems to have passed.

10. targus

targus New Member

I disagree. How does one separate poliltics from an issue which is largely controlled by politics.

Embryonic stem cell research has proven thus far to be a failure and is promoted by one political party.

Politics was brought into the discussion when embryonic stem cell research was brought up by the same moderator that decided that I was off topic by expanding on his comments.

Fun stuff.:saint:

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Nope - not at all. The whole topic is about use of stem cells. I never mentioned a single politician.

Lets discuss the topic of stem cells and leave the politics out.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thank you for that restatement.

13. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is, it's not a "new" thing. It's just the first time it's been done this way.

[/FONT]