1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doctrine of Grace/Calvinisim In Hymns and Songs

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Another great hymn of the FAITH

2. Blammo

Blammo New Member

The title says it all

#22 Blammo, Aug 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2006
  3. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Sounds like he was a slave to sin, heard the good news, and believed. ("I rose, went forth, and followed thee.")

4. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Yes, the writer is reflecting on the great mercy and grace of our God and looking at his salvation with great gratitude for God's gift to him!

5. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Tis a great song.

Salvation is though faith in God alone. Some preach easly believe as in when the preacher say..

"how many love your mother? Good..God is love. Now sign the card in front of you and your on your way to heaven."

OK...maybe its not that bad. But you get the idea. I believe the Bible teaches to have faith and believe...means you see God for who He is and want to worship Him..turn from the world....repent.

I have no idea what the song writer meant. But I can tell you how i read it. Man must see himself as a sinner...broken"...in need of Christ. Needed..not just to take man to heaven, even though in the end this will happen. But broken as a sinner, because the Holy Spirit has shown to him how worthless he is......broken and in need to be cleaned from all sins before a Holy God...broken and knowing It is Christ he needs....and with all that one has...turn...repent...Cry out to Jesus to heal us from the state of sin...and WORSHIP the King.

Man sees himself this way..when the Holy Spirit gives him understanding of mans sin state and need of Christ. Thus..the cry

IMHO...that is how the song speaks to me.

#25 Jarthur001, Aug 1, 2006
  6. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Amen, the free gift of God is eternal life by grace through faith in Christ.

7. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Yes, I don't subscribe to the "take a knee, 1,2,3, now your free" kind of stuff either. I agree with what you are saying here. It is the gospel and the Holy Spirit that draw men to Christ. Showing man he is totally helpless and wicked, and showing him the way out of it. That is part of God's plan.

8. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, but I'm sure those who would say that it is humankind's duty to reach out to God is certainly tied to the biblical truth that God has sought us first.

Same here. Just a friendly discussion.

Thanks!

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Doctrine by song lyrics

It almost seems as if some people here are trying to defend their doctrine by using song lyrics. This doesn't seem like a very intelligent approach to defending doctrine, to me.

On a related note, I know of lots of people who sing "In all I do, I honor you". I refuse to sing that song simply because I know it's not true. Similarly, I'm silent during songs that reflect free-willism.

I recommend that free-willers remain silent during songs like Amazing Grace, too. If you don't believe it, don't sing it, or you're being hypocritical.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You mistate the belief of so called free-willers. I don't know anyone who does not believe we are saved by Grace. Do you know what Grace is? Also, there is a way to receive that Grace in your own heart and that is to believe. Without faith you can not please God.

11. Blammo

Blammo New Member

I find that to be rather rude.

We, who believe in free-will, know we are saved by grace. It's the "by faith" part that you keep leaving out.

12. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, Blammo, I think you were rude too with your posts. The OP, after all, is "Doctrine of Grace/Calvinism In Hymns and Songs". You came in with an agenda to contradict our (calvinists) heart-felt opinions about these wonderful songs.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The problem I see is in "calvinism IN hymns and song". What's the purpose of hymns and songs? To worship God...not spread a theology! If these songs were written by calvinists with the sole purpose of putting good 'ole "doctrines of grace" in the words of the songs...to toot the horn of calvinists, they do not need to by in ANY hymnal! I have no problem with hymns and songs that are Bible based, not calvinist based or even "doctrines of grace" based.

14. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Web, one's theology is one's world view. Our theology affects every thought and act in life.

Would you write a hymn that does NOT reflect your theology? I think not.

Would you say that a hymn should not include trinitarian theology? I think not.

So why can't Newton or Watts or Toplady or Cowper or Luther etc etc express their love for the Sovereign, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe?

15. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And why can't we who are thankful for amazing, unmerited grace, Calvinist or adherent to the Doctrine of Grace, sing and/or publish what to us seems to be the true songs of Zion ?

How about these songs from the sweet psalmist of Israel :

Psalm 65

To the chief Musician, A Psalm and Song of David.

Praise waiteth for thee, O God, in Sion: and unto thee shall the vow be performed.

2 O thou that hearest prayer, unto thee shall all flesh come.

3 Iniquities prevail against me: as for our transgressions, thou shalt purge them away.

4 Blessed is the man whom thou choosest, and causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts: we shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, even of thy holy temple.

5 By terrible things in righteousness wilt thou answer us, O God of our salvation; who art the confidence of all the ends of the earth, and of them that are afar off upon the sea:

I suppose they are unscriptural, eh ?

Yet you freewillers do not have even one song that says you came to God and repented of your sins because you have free will, or because God granted you the freedom to choose. Your theologians all fall back on grace, because eventually that is what it all amounts to. Had it not been for God's grace given in Christ before the foundation of the world, neither you nor Calvinists nor those who believe in the Doctrine of Grace me included will have any hope of and in heaven.

You can only resort to implied name calling, that those who adhere to the Doctrine of Grace, or those you call Calvinists, are proud, arrogant, self-centered sinners who think they are special, and are therefore unredeemed.

#35 pinoybaptist, Aug 1, 2006
  16. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Relatively New Song

by J.F. Parker 1901-1970

The Bride of Christ

The Bride of Christ we have today, A blessing from the Lord;
    He gave her to His Son to save, and take her home above.

Chorus:

The turtledove is singing now; The winter's past and gone.
    Rise up, my fair one, come away ! I'll take you home to stay.

She was His bride before she knew she had a Husband dear;
    And when for her His choice was made, it caused her to draw near.

When she, adorned with all His grace, shall be exalted there,
    No queen with all her glory here Was ever half so fair.

17. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I'm sorry you find it to be rude. Given that we know the author had Calvinistic views, and those views are expressed in the lyrics (though not so blatantly that one couldn't twist them to mean something else) I assume that the singer would be aware of that. But since it is possible to force free-will into the lyrics, perhaps I should have chosen a song with more explicit lyrics. It would CERTAINLY be hyprocritical for free-willers to sing this one by Isaac Watts:

"Why was I made to hear His voice,
    And enter while there's room;
    When thousands make a wretched choice,
    And rather starve than come?

"'Twas the same love the spread the feast,
    That sweetly forced me in;
    Else I had still refused to taste,
    And perish'd in my sin."

#37 npetreley, Aug 1, 2006
  18. Blammo

Blammo New Member

J.D. -

Sorry I offended you. But, to claim the great hymns of the faith as Calvinist offends me. I hope you noticed I simply highlighted some of the words in the hymns, said "amen" and "praise God". I'm guessing you don't think the title of this thread was any kind of bait?

19. Blammo

Blammo New Member

What part of those lyrics do you think I don't believe? "Forced"? If you go to cyberhymnal.org, you will find a different word in the lyrics:

’Twas the same love that spread the feast
    That sweetly drew us in;
    Else we had still refused to taste,
    And perished in our sin.

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/h/s/hsweetaw.htm

20. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

The Church's one foundation​

The Church's one foundation
    is Jesus Christ her Lord;
    she is his new creation,
    by water and the word: