1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

does ANYBODY like....

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by gekko, Oct 29, 2005.

1. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. Rap music is the fashion of this world and dishonors Christ.

Abstain from every apearance of evil. Rap is associated with the gangsta culture of the "world."

Whatsoever things are lovely, pure...etc. Most Christians would say that kind of music is not lovey and pure.

2. gekko

gekko New Member

ok, so i'm lost. what is the definition of melody? like an example would be nice.

3. Brice

Brice New Member

Here you go Gekko – Melody (dictionary.com)
    1. Music.
    a. A rhythmically organized sequence of single tones so related to one another as to make up a particular phrase or idea.
    b. Structure with respect to the arrangement of single notes in succession.
    c. The leading part or the air in a composition with accompaniment.
    That is melody and rap sure has it. I am agreeing with Tenor’s premise, but I am also saying that Rap has all three. This negates neither argument Aaron. You are wrong Bapmom. All 3 ARE present. If you disagree than I will be than happy to post the definitions.

Bapmom you say – “And the Bible is crystal clear that the body is never to be in control or dominant in the Christian's life. This is VERY difficult for us, I know, but it is what we are to be striving for. A diet of rap music will in no way help us in our attempt to keep the body under subjection”.

I say- your definitions of all three are simply your definitions pertaining to the Bible. I am giving actual definitions and will post more if need be. Again, I say please state exactly what you see as an acceptable form of music. Please give examples. Aaron feel free to throw some examples in there also. By the way a diet of Christian rap can surely help someone keep their body in subjection. You see all I listen to is Christian music because it helps keep my body in check. It is a constant reminder of God and it is a good one. By the way the Bible doesn’t say anything about the “body” of music. It says do not let your literal body control you. That has nothing to do with music. My body doesn’t control me when I bob my head to some good music, just as your body doesn’t control you when you are hungry and you eat. I have a spiritual hunger that can be filled by solid God glorifying music and I love worshipping God in everything I do.

Mike in Ghana – Your assertion is faulty. You see the way you are applying that text would encompass almost everything. Veggie Tales makes movies that are spoofs of major motion pictures, so get rid of it. You see where this could go. Not to mention that Christian music is not imitating the world. CONTENT makes music secular not melody or rhythm. The content in music dictates whether or not something is secular, so if a song is made up of Christian content then it is not imitating the world, but instead praising God. As an example, we are all human. The difference between me and a non-Christian is content. The words that come out of my mouth are different then my unsaved friends. If I happen to walk (literally) at the same pace and in the same way as my unsaved friend, this doesn’t mean I am of the world because I am walking at the same speed as him. I am not of this world because I wear the same pants, shoes or shirts etc.. I happen to have a great deal of characteristics in common with the world. The difference is that I am made up of different spiritual content. God took me and changed my content. He used a sinful vessel like me to bring glory to Him. He can surely do the same with rap.

Please note that the spirit of this post is not malicious.

4. gekko

gekko New Member

wow. brice. i completely agree with you.

and what you've said in your last paragraph, about content and what not.

guess who'd made a song about that?
    that's right: CrossMovement. on their Holy Culture Album. the song? In Not Of.

we're to be In the world, not Of the world. that's the deal with that song.

you've brought up some great points. i hope the others respond soon... lol.

5. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

You can justify your worldiness all you want. That trashy music is sensous, and does not promote a spirit of worship but rather promtes the flesh. Why do you think there were never any instruments of music in the temple? God did not us to give rise to the emotional side of our being. There is no good thing in our flesh. We must worship Him in spirit and truth, not with our emotions.

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Brice,

problem is you are using man's definitions to justify your points, and to REFUTE the order given in the Bible.

"dictionary.com" is just another guy's idea of what melody is....it is NOT saying that rap has a melody. You are taking it out of context and adding your own perception.

7. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Not my taste. I don't like the choppy lyrics and driving beat.

8. gekko

gekko New Member

mikeinghana. thanks for calling it trashy music. it's quite the opposite of refreshing. lol.

the music is only sensuous if you let it be.when i listen to hip-hop/rap music, it doesn't make me want to get close to anybody an start doin' the tango. no way. you know what it makes me do? (since i know the majority of the lyrics of crossmovement anyways... it's hard to learn that stuff) i sing it. i sing along with it. i was helping out with youth group yesterday. one of the kids loved the music. now that he know's its christian, he wants to get some albums. the beat goes along with the lyrics. if you had classical music to accompany hip-hop lyrics would you think classical music was trashy and sensuous? if it all started out like that i think you would. i would. and another point. i love to freestyle dance. you know why i do that? huh? it's because i'm doing it for God. all for him. and because it helps make me come alive. (Jesus is the main the makes me come alive. not the dancing. as you people would probably note.) and you know who else danced? King David. yes, we're on that topic again. in 2Samuel 6, David and the nation of Israel had just obtained possession of the Ark of God. when they brought the ark of God into the city of David, david had been dancing, all over. Michal wasn't too happy at david for his dancing. david was still dancing when they got to "17 And they brought in the ark of the LORD, and set it in his place, in the midst of the tabernacle that David had pitched for it: and David offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the LORD."
    david was dancing the whole time before that, and if he was that excited, i bet he was dancing after too. reason why Michal got upset? i believe it was because they were in a more sacred part of the city. and here david was dancing.

you got any scripture where dancing is not allowed in the temple?
    remember, it's not the instruments that are sensuous, it's the body, the dancing. get it?

bapmom. who are we to say that rap has melody or not? why don't we get some resources from high end musicians, seeing if we can find anywhere that says whether rap has melody or not. then we can go from there. otherwise this'll be on forever. and you'll still be basing your facts on your thoughts. you say there's no melody in rap because you don't like rap, and therefore believe there is not melody. i think that's how it goes...?

have a gooder.
    gekko.

p.s. good on ya brother ian. i respect your taste in music. much like i do everyone else's. God Bless.

9. Brice

Brice New Member

Ok, if I can’t use the dictionary to define a word, then please tell me what God’s definition of melody is and back it up with Scripture. MikeinGhana says we can’t use instruments at all. Bapmom (please correct me if my inference is wrong) say’s we can, but only in a certain manner. You see I have given examples, analogies, and definitions to back up my points. PLEASE give me examples of what you consider acceptable Christian music. Again I say, I personally don’t enjoy rap music, but I am not going to toss out a genre because I don’t like it. Gekko you make some good points. God gave us emotion and it is ok to emotionally worship God, as long as we don’t let our emotions overtake us. You see I’ve cried out to God, I’ve felt his peace, I’ve enjoyed his presence. All of these are emotional characteristics that one can experience when worshiping the one and only true God. I love God and yes that is an emotion. Peter wept because he had an emotional attachment to God.

10. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Brice,

just to satisfy you, I looked up rap at dictionary.com.....its a rhythmic chanting.

Melody is the leading part of a composition....which pertains to music.

Rap is chanting, not a melody. Ive never heard anyone try to say that rap has a melody, not even those who like it.

And BTW, I never said that I have not liked rap before. I did at one time enjoy some rap very much. As Ive said before, LIKING it has nothing to do with whether or not its pleasing to God.

11. Brice

Brice New Member

If you enjoyed rap at one point then you would understand that rapping occurs as an accompaniment with melody. This would be classified as hip-hop. They rap on-top of beats. Melody as stated earlier is - The leading part or the air in a composition with accompaniment. It is ok if we don’t see melody the same way because it is irrelevant to the argument. I can accept that we may see this differently, but what I’ve asked for is an example or examples of acceptable music. Also, I looked up rap in the dictionary and did not see the definition you quoted. Please post the link or all the definitions. I also asked for Scripture to back up your argument. Please provide this so I can better understand your point of view.

12. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Niteshift,

I actually am both. Really. I want them both to do well and win and I enjoy pulling for them both. But when they play one another I'm pulling for the Cards all the way, but thats the only time I'm not pulling for the UK.

I've never really understood why if you have a favorite you have to despise the other. It doesnt make sense to me. If a team is from Kentucky I'm a fan.

God bless,

Mike

13. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Brice,

I don't know that I CAN list a certain type of music that is ALWAYS acceptable. Like Ive said before, I judge each song based on its own merits.

We can take the most basic hymn and ramp up the beat to the point where its out of balance as well. I have seen the same song done in both an acceptable manner, and also in a way Id see as not right. Do you see what I mean?

I would say that the hymns, as they are written, are usually very good and well balanced. There are many choruses that can go either way. What makes it good is usually what you do with it.

Although, let me say, I object to music styles that copy the world's styles. The definition Ive seen given of CCM is exactly that, a copy of secular music. I think its wrong to try to take secular music and put words to it that talk about God and then say its God's music now. Its still the world's music that way.

As to Bible verses, one I can think of right now is
    Ro 12:2
    And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

14. Brice

Brice New Member

Bapmom,

I think we just see this differently. Let me say first that I respect your position. I think your heart is right and you want to monitor what you hear. I also thank you for the respectful way you’ve discussed this. I think Gekko and I both want to monitor what we hear as well. CCM really does help me in my daily walk with God because it is a constant reminder of Him. I love worshiping God in my car or by playing some worship music on my guitar. I will outline my perception of music for you.

Content determines whether or not something is secular.
    If something has sinful content then it is not of God.
    CCM is not a carbon-copy of the world because its content is completely different.
    Content determines whether or not something is sinful.

Some examples of this would be –

Veggie Tales – They spoof secular movies and turn them into Christian movies.
    Movies – The Passion was a movie. Movies are of the world thus making The Passion wrong because it copies the world.
    Television – You see T.V. was not created to be a Christian outlet, so when we watch a minister on T.V. he is wrong because he is copying the world’s format. Thus making us sin because we are enjoying it.

We as Christians copy the world’s format in many ways, the difference is the content.

Do you see that content is the determining factor? Hopefully that makes sense, if not I will post some more analogies. God bless.

15. Brice

Brice New Member

As far as Romans 12:2. CCM is not conformed to the world. It is completely different then the world. Its content is completely different. Just because it has a similar rhythmic beat in some instances, does not make it sinful. We as Christians have many similarities with the world; that doesn’t make us conformed to it because our content is different.

16. gekko

gekko New Member

taking secular music and putting 'christian' lyrics to it.

so if i play the hymn "what can wash away my sin" (is that what it's called? or is it nothing but the blood of Jesus?) if i take that song and sing it to the tune of "crash" by dave matthews band. is this a sin? or if i take collective soul's song "december" and sing "Jesus Love me" is that a sin?

what about the christian group "apologetix" ? (some of you may remember the thread i started way back in beginning of october on apologetix) they take the exact replica of the song, and change the words to them. these are not worship songs now. i'm not saying that. but lyrics that talk about the different things christians go through. or different themes in the bible. or different bible characters.

that verse Romans 12:2. be ye not conformed to the world.

i like that verse. again, it reminds me of the song "In Not Of" by crossmovement. why don't i post the lyrics here. for everyone to read:

---------

IN NOT OF
    by The Tonic

[Bridge]
    Gotta let 'em know
    Gotta let 'em know 'bout the Name
    Gotta let 'em know
    Gotta let 'em know 'bout the game
    [Repeat Bridge]

[Verse One]
    Lord, the world thinks you've left the streets
    And you ain't the kind of guy
    That would bless the beats
    And because you ain't busting heat
    That you can't relate to being tempted
    To grind to eat
    To flip a little ecstasy
    Just playing roll for your seed
    Like a sesame
    Or the meaning of Thug Destiny
    Or to know what's all up
    In a mix like a recipe
    They can't possibly think that
    You paid your dues
    When you ran the streets
    Of old Jeruz
    You wasn't the Don with the God Father nod
    But visible Father God and you ran your squad
    And now you run inside of cats
    With backward hats and boots
    Evangelical hip-hop modern day recruits
    And just like Jews and Gafilta Fish
    Ain't too many dudes that are built for this
    We grind for souls
    Forget what the liar told
    You give throwback jersey for choir robes
    Sunday Clothes?
    If you catch us in the pulpit
    It's in the fitted's and black Gibuard's
    Here's the goals
    Take the risk, light the coals
    Bring the heat, flex the gift
    Break the molds
    Recruit, enlist
    Fulfill the Great Commish.
    And like L.J. said
    "We trying to Rock the Souls"

[Hook]
    Who's mic is this?
    I'm in it, but I I ain't of it
    I live it, but I don't love it
    Who's life is this?
    I admit it
    I ain't above it
    I gotta get it
    But I don't covet
    Who's world is this?
    It's dated
    Many love it
    I hate it
    But I don't judge it
    Who's world is this?
    Not to conform
    Who's life is this?
    Here to transform
    Who's mic is this?
    Flavor, not norm
    Salt and light, among the night
    Word bond!

[Verse Two]
    That's right word bond
    I'm trying to Kingdom work like I got a third arm
    Most hip-hop needs stimulant turn on, Yak or Bourbon
    But not these words from the street that turn Psalm
    Brooklyn to Guam, we "Ring thee Alarm!"
    Watch God get His in Hip-Hop for certain
    Don't front, this culture needs a clear display
    A clearer way, somebody make it clear today
    It's hard to look on my outward to peep my in
    That's like trying to see my heart beat inside my skin
    But if you know hip-hop courses inside my veins
    Know all [of] hip-hop's blood types ain't the same
    I'm transfused witht eh Blood of an ancient King
    He paid dues, and now I can't help but bling
    But not ice, ain't talking about a life of crime
    My whole crew don't know nothing but a life of rhyme
    It ain't strange, new birth done met the knock
    It done changed, the church done met the block
    It's so plain, the God of the Israelites
    Got a pain in His heart for the dismal types
    He aint' concerned about your plaits and your tiny roots
    He even thinks you kinda fly with your shiny tooth
    He left us in the world and said mix it up
    But with a righteous kind of flow that picks it up
    Before Satan can 666 it up
    He gone bust through the sky and fix it up
    But 'til then, let this culture make us proud
    But only to the point where it starts acting foul
    And if it does, ain't no time ot blackout dude
    You gotta put in a hold and make it tap out, oooooo
    'Cause to God, hip-hop got to bow and blush
    We dont' live for hip-hop, hip-hop lives for us

[Repeat Bridge x2]

[Verse Three]
    To each his own
    But none will ever come unseat the throne
    Salt penetrates from meat to bone
    We tryinna to reach the pain
    Bring the peace, 'til they say "Preach it, homes!"
    "Teach it, man!" Keep your dough
    'Cause this is strictly on a need to know
    Yo, everybody need to know
    That's why I gotta lace the flow
    'Til men holla [for] "Christ"
    Like Japan hollas "Ichiro!"
    Men gotta need like Pizza dough
    We pull we stretch, but do we ever really reach them, though?
    I don't mean no harm, but I'll bet the farm
    Some put the weight of the mission on skill and charm
    And they get iller than all, their killing evolves
    But with no alarm, CM will remain calm
    Lord, how long the wait, cuase this is a long debate
    Neither side wants to prolong the hate
    They say we reach the church and they reach the streets
    But can't find an in or out of season to preach
    And there's only two, but you kept the charge the same
    The harvest is ready, but the workers lame
    I say we reach the church and we reach the streets
    And some don't believe and I'll catch the heat