1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God Control Satan ?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by RightFromWrong, Sep 6, 2005.

1. I put this question on another thread no one answered it so I am making a new thread.

I use to think that God had nothing to do with evil when it came to Satan and Christians. Satan worked alone with his demons. Till we did a study on Satan. I was told that Satan can do nothing to a Christian unless it first goes through God. THAT HE ALLOWS EVERYTHING that happens in our life. So to me that means he in a way causes it.

Is this true ? I use to think that hey stuff happens just because we live in a fallen world. To unsaved and saved.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Either God is in 100% control of everything OR He is not all-powerful, right?

He did not create the universe like a wind-up top and then let it go spinning out of control on its own.

If "fate" brings things (like a hurricane) then "fate" is God. Lots of people have a theology like that.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No, God does not control Satan. However, this is not out of inability, but out of choice.

That being said, God is still in control of everything, including the actions of Satan.

4. Forget the hurrican right now that isn't my question.

I am talking about God, Christians and Satan,
    please can we stick to the original post

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If God controlled satan's every action and work, that would make Him partners with satan as both God and satan would be the author of sin. Satan is given certain freedom allowed by God, as is the case with man's free will. To deny this makes God evil as He would be the cause of sin.

6. I guess the premises for this conclusion was found in Job. That Satan had to go though God in order to attack Job :confused:

7. JamesJ

JamesJ New Member

That is correct RFW, God, for His reasons, allows satan to do as he will within the parameters that God sets forth as described in the first chapter of the book of Job. God is sovereign over all His creation which includes satan. We are not told in that book that God did or did not tell satan what to do to Job. It is my guess that satan did what he thought would make Job curse God to his face. God did limit the scope of satan's activities though. So, to answer your question, according to what is written in the scripture, God does control satan.

8. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

RFW,

I agree with you - sort of. God allowed Satan access to Job, by removing His protections from Job, but I don't think that is the same as "controlling Satan."

God told Satan, "Don't take his life," but God did not say, "Destroy his family and his lands."

See the difference?

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was a kid, one of my favorite summertime pastimes was to catch a june-bug and tie a sewing thread to his hind leg.

Then, I would turn him loose and he would buzz all over the place as far as the string would allow.

I feel that this is, in essence, the relation between God and satan; satan can do what he wants so long as it's within the scope of the string God has "tied to his hind leg"!

Anything outside that scope requires permission from God, or it'a a no-go!

10. Good points James and Texas, that God never told Satan what to do just what not to do.

11. Good example just-want-peace

12. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

RightFromWrong, I just thought I'd drop you a note after that PMyou sent me . Iwont play into that kind of trap .Iwill continue to serve the Lord with a smile on my face. writing nice things about and to others will be more becoming of you in the eyes of the Lord ,you my Christian friend sould look more to the Lord. [​IMG] :( :eek:

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will stop this topic. Very disappointed to think of folks bumping a post and then pm'ing folks to join them in attacking others.

Case close.