1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God love people in hell?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Osage Bluestem, Feb 14, 2011.

?
  1. Yes

39.1%
  2. No

60.9%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osage Bluestem

Because God has predestined everything that will be carried out to be carried out for his purpose.

Everything works together in the end for God's glory.

2. Osage Bluestem

They were called ana baptists at the time. There were also Waldensens that people claim were like us.

3. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Origin

I was taught the origin came from Peter or right down from John the Baptist. I heard from a reformed that the origin is from the reformation, they went through a lot to show how. You probably will have to discuss this on the History board or maybe an old one is on there. This is not the OP, I am sorry Skandelon

4. Osage Bluestem

History says that a guy named John Smyth started baptist branch. BUt there were people who believed very similar things already existing before that. I'm not a Landmarkist though.

5. Osage Bluestem

I have never read any reformer who said God loves people in hell. All affirm common grace. No one says God loves people in hell. Using the word love to describe common grace I believe is simply a mistake. Unless one speaks only of the love God has for the remnant of his image. However, that is indeed not the same as love for the individual and who they are but where they came from and what they are made of.

God loves the elect as children and heirs. He does not love the reprobate in any way that can accuratley be described as real love. He simply gives the grace to live for a little while to fulfill the purpose they were made to fulfill.

6. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

scripture

I am sorry this is your OP I was derailing I am sorry. Just like me I try not to worry about things that can not change.

Luke 16:
    27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’
    29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You did not answer my request to define love within the concept of "loving those in hell." We are not in conflict as to whether He wants all to come to repentance, but when they see the throne of judgment-- entirely consistent with the biblical definition of faith-- it's no longer unseen, so cannot be hoped for as unseen; ergo they cannot come to God in faith. So the question, then, is: does God love even those who did not come to him in faith. If He does, eternal torment is an odd kind of "love," and does contradict the biblcal description that love-- and faith-- spur actions of benefit, not harm.

8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's simple. If they are separated from the Love of God they no longer have His Love. His Love was rejected. Why waste Love on someone who rejects you? Not to mention can God punish someone for ever and still Love them. They are never forgiven once they reach hell. That doesn't sound like it's Love anymore to me.
    MB

9. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

It is clear what he means when you read it in context...

See link for context
    LINK

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed.

I too am puzzled by B.O.'s attempt to morph "all attributes" into "perfect":

Reformed theologian Thomas Goodwin:
    Because here is how Goodwin used "all attributes" elsewhere in that work:

Reformed theologian Thomas Goodwin:

11. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Here is the idea behind Gods wrath

I looked, and there before me was a white cloud, and seated on the cloud was one like a son of man with a crown of gold on his head and a sharp sickle in his hand.

Then another angel came out of the temple and called in a loud voice to him who was sitting on the cloud, “Take your sickle and reap, because the time to reap has come, for the harvest of the earth is ripe.”

So he who was seated on the cloud swung his sickle over the earth, and the earth was harvested.

Another angel came out of the temple in heaven, and he too had a sharp sickle. Still another angel, who had charge of the fire, came from the altar and called in a loud voice to him who had the sharp sickle,

Take your sharp sickle and gather the clusters of grapes from the earth’s vine, because its grapes are ripe.”

The angel swung his sickle on the earth, gathered its grapes and threw them into the great winepress of God’s wrath.

They were trampled in the winepress outside the city, and blood flowed out of the press, rising as high as the horses’ bridles for a distance of 1,600 stadia.

This is a picnic when you think of hell.

How about the ones he loves? Does he kill them too?

JOHN 15:13 NKJ
    13 "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.

No, he dies for his friends.

12. Osage Bluestem

He died for his friends. He saved his friends from sin and death and gave them life.

Good call.

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus: "Every one the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the ones who come to Me I will never drive away. (I have come down from heaven not to do My will but to do the will of Him who sent Me.) And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that I will lose none of all that He has given Me, but raise them up at the last day."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.