1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does hardness of heart...

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by SovereignGrace, Mar 5, 2016.

1. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who can say, “I have kept my heart pure; I am clean and without sin”?[Proverbs 20:9]
    To have a pure heart means one is w/o sin and also clean. So, you say people guard their heart? So by mere implucation, you're saying they made themselves clean and w/o sin.

God does this prior to them seeking Him as only He can purify the heart.

Ears that hear and eyes that see—the Lord has made them both.[Proverbs 20:12]

Pretty much says all that needs to be said. Only those He has given these are those who seek Him. Only those with pure hearts...purified by Him and Him alone, and nothing they did...come to Him. Period. End of story.

2. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I am restudying and the difference in the greek for heart and conscience are different. I associated that both were the same however the meanings are different. The people who brought the woman caught in in sin to Jesus we are told were convicted by their own conscience, Thayer states syneidesis=the soul as distinguishing between what is morally good and bad, prompting to do the former and shun the latter, commending one, condemning the other, and it our conscience that leads us to accept Christ or reject Him. Cain rejected, these men who brought this woman rejected that is they failed to fall on their knees and accept Christ. The pharisee in the parable in his conscience saw no need and in his pride felt he was justified, yet he failed to see his sin, while the publican came asking for God's mercy what drove him, his conscience. So saying a pure heart was the wrong term it should have been a the conscience that drives us to do good in following the commands of God for that is where our Volition resides. I took them as synonymous term and they are not.
    The thing is the Holy Spirit draws and the conscience reacts through the Volition God has placed into every soul (conscience) to bring them to make a choice for Christ.

3. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Soooo...the Spirit draws so that the conscience can say "thanks, but no thanks?" That not the biblical way God draws. He draws like a soldier drawing a sword. Like fish being drawn in a net. He draws, they come. Period. End of story.