1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does it really matter if you're a Calvinist?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Strange, since I've been there and back. Maybe the next time it will be REALLY true, right?
    Based on this steaming pile...you have no clue what I believe and are ignorant to the non reformed position as a whole.
    ...and you can remain in your error for as long as you wish, just "because".

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Based on the OP it has nothing to do with it...haven't you been following along? Mere Aaron diversion tactics.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God will have mercy upon whom He will have mercy. Take it up with Him.

4. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

We know that's the reasoning behind why some are saved and other are not in your system, but this is question regarding a believer being with held truth. Can you address that please?

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This proves you've never been there.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did address it.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...he Calvinist is the man who is determined that his intellect, and heart, and will shall remain on their knees continually, and only from this attitude think, and feel, and act. Calvinism is, therefore, that type of thought in which there comes to its rights the truly religious attitude of utter dependence on God and humble trust in his mercy alone for salvation. BB Warfield

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "He who is altogether and only a Calvinist probably only knows half the Truth of God, but he who is willing to take the other side, as far as it is true, and to believe all he finds in the Word of God, will get the whole pearl." —Charles Spurgeon, "Buying the Truth"

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You are saying that anyone who does not accept Calvinism is believing a lie.

You are also calling non-Cals unbelievers. Those who love darkness are those who love their sin too much to let it go and come to Christ for salvation. You are calling non-Cals unsaved.

Is that how your really feel?

10. Skandelon

Where? When?

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guys, cut the foolishness.

The original question was whether or not it mattered that one believed something that wasn't true. The answer is obvious. Of course it matters, especially given the weight that God gives to truth (the weight of Himself), and His abhorrence of untruth, and His disdain for ignorance.

Then the question turned to WHY one would WANT to believe an untruth, and there can be only one answer. Sin. Men love darkness rather than light, because their deeds are evil. There is not one man exempt from that condition. To say otherwise is to say you have no sin. (And herein is a cardinal difference between Calvinists and Noncalvinists. Noncalvinists do not believe the love of darkness is in them.)

Now, nowhere did I say that a Noncalvinist is necessarily unsaved. BUT, he is saved despite his Arminianism, not because of it, and some carry their error to the grave. But it is error, and more die in their sin because of it than are saved despite it. It is NOT the Gospel of Christ.

12. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Well, I guess that just settles it then. We can now claim and end to the 400 year old debate.

13. Skandelon

Actually the question was worded in such a way as to inquire about the eternal consequences of non-Calvinists "errors." If Calvinism is correct, no less people will be in heaven as a result of our "errors."

Further, if God is the one responsible for opening our eyes to believe "Calvinistic truth" then our unbelief in Calvinism is really not up to us.

It's just interesting to consider that the effectual work of regeneration will bring the elect to understand the gospel unto salvation, but for some unknown reason doesn't necessarily bring them all to similarly understand salvation Calvinistically.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a Person who saves, not a doctrine. And He will save and save powerfully and fully and eternally. Nothing will separate the elect from the love of God. That's true.

But God hates lies, and liars will not enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. So to answer the question, "Does it matter?" Oh, it matters.

You're talking like those that Paul condemned for saying we should sin that grace may abound.

That's right. You're powerless to enlighten yourself.

That's just the way it is, isn't? Some are born blind, some are born eunuchs, some are ugly, some are pretty, some healthy, some are sick, some are rich, some are poor, some have this gift or that gift, and there isn't a one of them that chose it.

Are you starting to feel helpless yet? You may not be far from the Kingdom yourself.

15. Skandelon

A wise man once taught me that anyone who is impressed with his own holiness isn't holy. Read into that what ever you wish.

16. mets65

mets65 New Member

There's a lot of people that would say you're saved despite your calvinism, or your saved despite your free will beliefs. I think that's foolishness. You are saved despite our human nature to sin. Not because of some doctrine. I get it, doctrine is extremely important to some people, if so then great. Also I understand that some could care less about doctrine, if so then great. Myself, I'm somewhere in the middle, I'm 25 years old, I'm still discovering things every day. I don't have the wisdom and knowledge a lot of people do on here because they've been studying longer then I've been alive. In my youthfulness I do know without a doubt that salvation is the most important thing in your life. I do not believe TULIP nor anything a freewiller believes denies anyone salvation that wants salvation. I think we all understand that without God's love and grace we would be nothing.

17. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

At least he was obeying the scripture.

For a good rebuttal to some of the errors of Calvinism, listen to Dr. Chuck Missler series entitled, "The Sovereignty of Man," it can be found at Koinonia House.com looking under the 60/40 tab. Very enlightening!

18. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aaron,
    On Page 3, you indicate that those that align with Arminius are believing a lie. What lie?

I think you may have identified it around page 4 or 5, when you talked about people believing that they are born in the light, rather than with a sin nature; but Arminius denied Pelagius' teaching of "man is basically good," and was in agreement that man is born with a sin nature.

If that's not the lie you were referencing, would you please clarify?

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that most if not all Calvinists would agree with that statement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.