1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Title = Position, or ...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SaggyWoman, Oct 1, 2005.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

These were servants, and not the title of deacon as given in 1 Timothy (husband of one wife). The Bible cannot contradict. A PHD and MD are both called doctors but they are entirely different.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good case in point is Romans 16 where Phoebe (a woman in the church at Cenchrea, neighbor to Corinth) is called by the MASCULINE TITLE "deacon" (not simply as a feminine form of the word, which would be a female servant)

Many of my friends think that the use of this masculine term is the "office" of deacon . . and a woman was one!

Others of my friends teach that she was simply a servant and not anything "official" (not the HUSBAND of one woman!!).

Me? I agree with my friends.

3. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I agree there were women deaconesses.

4. bapmom

bapmom New Member

doesnt that give us reason to look at what the real role of a deacon was? I know thats been discussed some already, but Im thinking of the times that questions were brought before the church, matters of doctrine. In these times the Bible only mentions the Apostles as being there as decision makers. No deacons are mentioned as having been involved. This is not to say that they are not worthy of an opinion, or even of some influence....but from what I see they had no official kind of decision making authority.

Does that make sense?

5. Plain Old Bill

The role of Deacon is different in different local NT churches as well as different denominations as far as actual practice goes.In certain places deacons are given far to much power and in other places they are given far to little responsibility.

6. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Regarding the "husband of one wife" clause, it is also possible that this is descriptive and not prescriptive. It may be that for various reasons almost all deacons were men at that time. Therefore when describing the characteristics necessary, it would make sense to describe them as applying to a man. However, I don't think we can say because of this that it would be unallowable for a woman to be a deacon.

The situation is more clear involving pastors, and I tend to think that women should not be pastors.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don't you think if the head can be turned that easy there there is no spine on which to turn it?

8. Plain Old Bill

Gb93433,
    Our wives a generally 3 months ahead of us in planting ideas so when they really want something they plant the seed,then we men all of the sudden have this wonderful idea about three months later for which our wives compliment us and tell us how smart and wonderful we are.Took me a few years to catch on to this.You would be surprized to find out what a common practice this is among the ladies.I guess they use it because it works.

9. bapmom

bapmom New Member

POB,

how long do you think I have before my own DH figures that out? We've already been married going on 12 years........

[​IMG]

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been married 35+ years, and to the SAME WOMAN.

"Divorce" is not in our marital dictionary.

"Murder", however, is . . :rolleyes:

11. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

YOUR a sick man Dr. Bob I think I like the way you think .Does that make ME sick? :eek:

12. Plain Old Bill

Bapmom,
    some never do.

13. bapmom

bapmom New Member

14. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I think if we are women and we're worrying about our title so much, we aren't really doing our work for the right reasons.

15. tenor

tenor New Member

If the job (ministry) is being done, officially elected by the church or not, why not use the title.

But then, we would have "Ministers of Maintenance" and not janitors or custodians.

In our culture we can get hung up on titles. At my current church our male deacons view themselves as a "board of directors" while our female deacons view the the deacons as a ministry/sevice body. The Pastor and staff are trying to get the me over to the ministry/service model.

Tim