1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Donald Trump Releases Plan to Make Mexico Pay for Border Wall

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember a time when we Americans proudly talked about how we were not like the Communist and others requiring a national identity card. It is sad that now so many are finding that Communist idea a good one.

Wonder if the conservatives will want to building send people to re-education centers next?

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They may bot be perfect Don but they are reasonable and realistic. A good start. I'm not quite ready to be questioned if found walking around without my papers, it's shocking to see some so called conservatives flippantly dismissing that as a necessary evil.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand your position but that does not actually answer my question. We have to "show papers" for a great many things. I listed a few. Not sure why the focus here is any different.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, we have illegals here and they need to be there. they are here illegally and then being hired to work. I agree if we cut off the ability to be hired and stop all drivers licenses and public assistance they will go home. No need for "papers", no need for stopping remittances, no need for deportation. They will deport themselves.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    . . . and what local cops say to citizens at routine traffic stops.

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, because they have probable cause to pull you over. Wiring money to someone is not probable cause.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I favor not having US money going to a country that is nothing but a leach and does absolutely nothing to create its own industry but instead sends its people to other countries where they take the place of American workers and then send that money back to their home country. It needs to end."

If that process were able to be applied ONLY to those here illegally, I might see the logic. However, our incomplete (to be very generous) knowledge which Mexicans - or nationals of other lands - are here legally or illegally would seem to make that very impractical. Would Trump's idea include those here legally, with valid visas, or even those who are naturalized US citizens with family back in the old country? Our church supports missionaries to Mexico. These are all US-born citizens, but most of our support will go toward the economy of that "nothing but a leech" country. Does that money get stopped?

I'm guessing the answers will be "no" to all my questions. They've only been posed to further show that it's nowhere as simple as the proposer seems to think.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, better shred your driver's license.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But, wiring money to someone out of the country isn't subject to constitutional protections.

10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And....so? Do we want to live in a country where the government can interfere with your life just because they feel like it?

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We already do. It's the invasion force of illegals that are the protected class now.

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You keep avoiding the question. Here it is:

If your church wanted to wire money to a missionary in another country, they should be required to go to an approved "electronic money transfer agent" (or other entity), show their driver's license, and fill out a form before they are allowed to send the money?

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm lost. Why does this have to be the only option available?

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

For folks who like to talk about smaller government and less government intervention in your lives, the radicalized right sure does love to use that same government to interfere in everybody else's lives.O O

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't need to be the only option. It's the most straightforward one I could think of. Obviously if you want to shut down money transfers to Mexico you have to shut down online wire transfer services.

How about you propose a way to intercept and account for money transfers to Mexico (or elsewhere.) How would you go about doing it?

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

You'd have to shut down the internet and take away the ability of all US citizens to send money outside the US because no one has to send money directly to Mexico for it to get to Mexico.

In turn, you'd have to have banks and third parties block their servers abilities to do pretty much everything.

It would be a logistical nightmare unless you controlled everything with an iron hand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not an appropriate analogy. Unless you consider "I think you look like an illegal" to be worthy of a traffic stop.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cut off the money at its root. If they cant work and if they cant obtain public money they cant send it home.

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which was my reply....

20. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Careful about mixing things. Showing proof of identity is one thing; showing proof of citizenship is another. You don't have to prove you're a citizen to apply for a loan; you don't have to prove you're a citizen to fly.

In your list, you mention an option: Military. Why not give the illegals another option: 4 years military service, or whatever minimum requirement for the branch of service, and they become citizens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.