1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DORT: Predestination & Evangelism

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Rev. G, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

There is both a predestinarian theology and an evangelistic emphasis within the Canons of Dort.
    Those who label "Dortian Calvinists" as "Hyper-Calvinists" or as "non-evangelistic" are in error.

First Head of Doctrine - Divine Election & Reprobation
    Article 2 - But in this the love of God was manifested, that He sent His only begotten Son into the world, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life (1 Jn. 4:19; Jn. 3:16).

Article 3 - And that men may be brought to believe, God mercifully sends the messengers of these most joyful tidings to whom He will and at what time He pleases; by whose ministry men are called to repentance and faith in Christ crucified. How then shall they call upon Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach except they are sent? (Rom. 10:14-15)

2. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Second Head of Doctrine - The Death of Christ, and the Redemption of Man Thereby

Article 5 - Moreover, the promise of the gospel is that whoever believes in Christ crucified shall not perish, but have eternal life. This promise, together with the command to repent and believe, ought to be declared and published to all nations, and to all persons promiscuously and without distinction, to whom God out of His good pleasure sends the gospel.

Article 6 - And, whereas many who are called by the gospel do not repent nor believe in Christ, but perish in unbelief, this is not owing to any defect or insufficiency in the sacrifice offered by Christ upon the cross, but is wholly imputed to themselves.

3. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Third & Fourth Heads of Doctrine - The Corruption of Man, His Conversion to God, and the Manner Thereof

Article 9 - It is not the fault of the gospel, nor of Christ offered therein, nor of God, who calls men by the gospel and confers upon them various gifts, that those who are called by the ministry of the Word refuse to come and be converted. The fault lies in themselves; some of whom when called, regardless of their danger, reject the Word of life; others, though they receive it, suffer it not to make a lasting impression on their heart; therefore, their joy, arising only from a temporary faith, soon vanishes, and they fall away; while others choke the seed of the Word by perplexing cares and the pleasures of this world, and produce no fruit. This our Savior teaches in the parable of the sower (Mt. 13).

Article 10 - But that others are called by the gospel obey the call and are converted is not to be ascribed to the proper exercise of free will, whereby one distinguishes himself above others equally furnished with grace sufficient for faith and conversion (as the prous heresy of Pelagius maintains); but it must be wholly ascribed to God, who, as He has chosen His own from eternity in Christ, so He calls them effectually in time, confers upon them faith and repentance, rescurse them from the power of darkness, and translates them into the kingdom of His own Son; that they may show forth the praises of Him who has called them out of darkness into His marvelous light, and may glory not in themselves but in the Lord, according to the testimony of the apostles in various places.

4. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Gisbertius Voetius, a professor at the University of Utrecht who vigorously opposed both Roman Catholicism and Arminianism, was an expert on Roman Catholic missionary literature and borrowed heavily from it. A leading figure at the Synod of Dort, he gave the first lectures on missiology at a university, entitling them DE PLANITITORIBUS ECCLESIASTICIS (THE PLANTING OF THE CHURCH). In these works he declares thta the first goal of missions is the "conversion of the pagans," the second is the "planting of the Church," and the supreme and ultimate goal is "the glorification and manifestation of divine grace."

5. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

Warm Christian greetings!

I thank our brother for proving that Calvinistic theology and evangelism are not contrary one to the other. Some of the most zealous evangelists and missionaries have been strong Calvinists. Two examples would be David Brainerd and William Carey.

As an evangelist myself I find the doctrine of election to be a great help and comfort because I know that God has a people and that He will draw that people to Himself. Our evangelism is, therefore, not in vain.

Kind regards

Robert J Hutton

6. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Robert:

Do you know international evangelist Leslie Smith (also from the UK)? Just curious. Bro. Leslie has spent his life winning hundreds of people to Christ, all the while trusting the omnipotent grace of our Lord.

Rev. G

7. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, and since there has been come recent discussion regarding Founders Ministries, I thought I would add these links to this thread.

Calvinism, Evangelism & Founders Ministries
    http://www.founders.org/FJ45/contents.html

Christian Missionaries and Missionary Christians
    http://www.founders.org/FJ37/contents.html

How Does Doctrine Affect Evangelism?
    http://www.founders.org/FJ33/contents.html

Are Calvinists Hyper?
    http://www.founders.org/FJ30/contents.html

Law and Gospel
    http://www.founders.org/FJ28/contents.html

If he were your son...(Calvinism & Hyper-Calvinism)
    http://www.founders.org/FJ24/contents.html

Evangelism & Missions
    http://www.founders.org/FJ05/contents.html

8. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

Warm Christian greetings!

My apologies, Rev G, I have not heard of Leslie Smith, but as he comes from the UK I ought to try and learn more about him! Any information you have on him would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Robert J Hutton

9. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

10. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, I'd like for my "Reformed" brothers to list "Reformed evangelists/missionaries". It might be helpful to see some of these names.

11. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Any Reformed folks want to reply to the "missionary" post?

Any Arminian folks want to say, "I'm really glad that Calvinists spearheaded Protestant missions! Thanks for letting us know that the guys at the Synod of Dort were soul-winners, also!"? :D

Rev. G

12. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Rev. G,

Thanks for the great info. [​IMG] I wish more people would read the Canons of Dort if they want to know what Calvinists believe reagarding Predestination and Evangelism instead of amateur theologians such as Dave Hunt or Curtis Hudson.

13. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

My pleasure. I just wish more people would pay attention to what is actually believed rather than being frenzied by the rhetoric.

Rev. G