1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Double Double Toil and Trouble

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Skandelon, Nov 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacob_Elliott

Jacob_Elliott New Member

2. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Winman, you are debating me like I'm one of the Calvinists and thus I don't think you are reading me clearly. I don't necessarily take the same approach they are taking on this issue and I want you to engage me, not what you think I believe.

I've asked several questions that you didn't actually answer. Instead you defended your view. But have you noticed that we seem to be talking past each other?

You are speaking about righteousness according to law...the Moral Code....the Breaking of a Command. Of course the unborn and babies haven't themselves broken the commands...how could they? But they also haven't kept the commands. They haven't done what Jesus did. They haven't merited salvation by works of the Law...and they never could. Adam proved that. With regard to the path to righteousness by way of LAW...NO ONE SHALL ENTER! The only thing the law does is reveal our need for God's grace...and even babies need grace, they just don't know it yet.

And all your analogies were about righteousness through grace, not righteousness by Law. For example, you mentioned Children. They are pointed to not because they are righteous according to the law (do you have KIDS?) but they are relatively humble and trusting. God gives GRACE to the HUMBLE and to those who trust. That is an analogy of righteousness by GRACE, not LAW. Jesus is not saying you have to be as morally righteous as a child, he is saying you have to be as humble and trusting as a child. Why? Because God gives grace to the humble, not because humility earns or merits salvation.

I'm so glad you brought up the elder brother because this perfectly illustrates what I'm talking about. Both brothers were lost. One was lost in his rebellion and the other was lost in his religion. Both needed GRACE. Both needed their relationship fixed with their father.

At the Father's happiest moment the eldest son doesn't celebrate with him as he would if they had a right relationship, but he despises his father and his rebellious brother. Why? The elder son was attempting to earn his father's affection through works, through merit, through law (just like the pharisees of Christ's day).

#83 Skandelon, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  4. Jacob_Elliott

Jacob_Elliott New Member

5. Inspector Javert

Who's calling Biblical literature "fiction"? I was not aware that anyone here was.

All of those statements of David contained real truths. Truths about how he felt, how the Holy Spirit convicts us, how we are to perceive ourselves when humbled by our own sin, how our sin separates us from fellowship with God, how empty we are and feel when we are in sin, how true repentance and God's cleansing grace restores right fellowship with him etc............

I'm just saying what it does NOT do, is establish some specific doctrine about how all infants (at conception) are inherently guilty of sin anymore than it establishes that the method of God's cleansing us from sin is to physically scrub us with a hyssop plant or that when sinning, God physically breaks our bones....

In other words:
    Yes...Columbus was indeed kewl and sailed in 1492 and all that, and subsequently that poem contains truth.

But do you honestly BELIEVE that the water in the ocean possesses the property of actually being BLUE?
    If you fail to believe that the ocean is indeed "blue" are you then calling that poem and it's historical truths "fiction"?

6. Jacob_Elliott

Jacob_Elliott New Member

The reason God must scrub us is because we are unclean from birth
    For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment. Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. (Psalm 51:3-5, 7 ESV)

7. Inspector Javert

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

I agree completely that Jacob and Esau had also done no good, that is directly what Romans 9:11 says.

Nevertheless, it is sin that sends us to hell, the wages of SIN is death, and Jacob and Esau had done no evil. They were not much different than the good angels. The good angels have not merited heaven, but neither have they been cast out of heaven for evil.

Note that in the parable of the lost sheep, there was no celebration for the 99 sheep who never went astray and did not need repentance. Likewise, notice the elder son complained that no celebration had ever been made for him.

Luk 15:7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

29 And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:
    30 But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf.

There is no celebration for those who were never lost.

There is NO WAY the elder son is lost, you cannot possibly get that from the text. The father calls him "Son" and says, "thou art EVER with me and ALL that I have is THINE". This is absolutely not a lost person. God does not call lost persons his "son" and sinners are separated from God by sin. This young man was NEVER separated from his father and never will be.

Note also that the father contrasts the elder son to his younger brother the prodigal. Only the prodigal was "dead" and "lost". The elder son was never dead or lost.

Finally, twice Jesus said the prodigal son was "alive again". If Original Sin is true, then no man was ever born alive to begin with, and it could not be said that any man was "alive again", but Jesus said this twice pertaining to the prodigal. This is further proof that the prodigal son was not born dead in sin, and he was not originally separated from his father. It is only when he knowingly and willingly went out in sin that he became dead and lost.

The elder son was NEVER dead or lost. You cannot get that from the text, the text by contrasting him to his prodigal brother strongly implies he was never lost or dead.

Luk 15:31 And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.
    32 It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

NO WAY the elder son was lost.

#88 Winman, Dec 2, 2013
  9. Jacob_Elliott

Jacob_Elliott New Member

10. Inspector Javert

Thank you for your responses Jacob (I haven't bothered to say Welcome to B.B. yet) sorry! :wavey:

Gonna go play with my gazillion kids. I would like to respond to this post of yours later. I appreciate your willingness to engage in conversation. I hope I have not in any way been rude, insulting or un-brotherly in my posts to you:1_grouphug:

11. Skandelon

No, there are sinners in heaven and hell. Unbelief sends you to hell.

"they were unable to enter because of unbelief." -Heb. 3:19

We are not on the merit/law system because Christ fulfilled that. The only reason anyone doesn't enter the promised land is due to their unbelief...not due to their sin. Sin has been atoned. God graces the humble...those who believe and confess.

I'm not sure what you are attempting to argue here Winman? Do the 99 represent babies and those who haven't reached the 'age of accountability?' Who doesn't need repentance besides them in your system?

And so you think the elder brother represents babies? What other commentary supports your view on this? I'd be interested to read up on this.

Well, I take a different approach with the analogy of 'death' than the Calvinists do so this rebuttal doesn't apply to me. I agree with you on this.

I just think you have missed the point of the analogy in contrasting the Jews, those following the law, and the Gentiles, those living in open rebellion. I believe MOST commentators see that as the point of this analogy...and its not to say the pharisees don't need grace, but to show that the Jews don't need to be bitter about their ingrafting...

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

#92 Winman, Dec 2, 2013
  13. Skandelon

Winman, did you see this part?

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

No Skan, they are no longer sinners, their sin is washed away. They are as white as snow.

All sin is unbelief. If Adam and Eve would have believed God's word, they would not have eaten the forbidden fruit.

No, you are wrong. When the rich ruler asked Jesus what he must do to inherit life, Jesus told him "You know the commandments, this do and live". If a man perfectly kept the commandments, he would merit eternal life.

Luk 10:25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
    26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
    27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
    28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

If a man perfectly keeps the commandments, he will merit life. When the scriptures say that no man is justified by the law, it is simply saying that no man has or will ever perfectly keep the law. But in reality, if a man did keep the law, he would live. Jesus does not lie.

I think the 99 just persons who have never sinned and need no repentance are the millions, if not billions of unborn and little children who have died before they reached the age of accountability. Heaven must be FULL of children like this.

I can think of no one else that lived without sinning.

And I cannot believe Jesus would make up nonsensical stories about people that could not possibly exist. That makes no sense whatsoever. Jesus was not given to flights of fancy. And Jesus did not make mistakes, if he said the elder son never sinned, he knew exactly what he was saying.

Yes, he died early, that is why he has been there (heaven) so many years serving his father.

I doubt you'll find anybody anywhere that interprets this scripture like this, so what? You can read, it says what it says.

You believe death is separation, and the elder son was never separated from this father and never will be. That is what the text says.

Give me a break, this parable has nothing to do with Jews and Gentiles.

The three parables are one. The Pharisees condemned Jesus because he spent time and ate with "sinners". Jesus is showing these Pharisees that these wicked sinners are in reality children of God that God is very concerned about. He is not willing that even one of these persons perish, he will leave 99 that have not sinned and need no repentance to go and look for that one lost sinner. He is showing these Pharisees that these "wicked sinners" that they despise hold great value to God.

Nevertheless, Jesus is also showing that there are some persons who have not sinned and need no repentance. I cannot think of any persons these could be except children. And it is notable in Matthew 18 when speaking specifically of children that Jesus repeats the story of a shepherd with 100 sheep, one goes astray and becomes lost, he searches and recovers it.

Mat 18:12 How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray?
    13 And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray.
    14 Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.

It's right there if you will receive it.

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not, as my understanding is that while the Lord himself determines by act of His will the salvation of those whom he desired to save out from among all sinners, in that He determined and predestined those to salvation, He passive fashion passed over the rest, as he alloows/permits them to go the way they want to go!

16. Skandelon

And you honestly think that is what Jesus wanted him to walk away thinking? That he could earn his way in by keeping the law? ORRRR could Jesus have been doing the very purpose of the law, which is to reveal his need for grace? The point is to get men OFF the merit based rat wheel that gets them no where. Its to reveal their need, not provide an alternative solution.

I suppose we could argue that point but that would be about as silly as arguing we might be saved if we could jump to Saturn and dance around its rings. And that's the point....the law reveals that it is FRUITLESS to try cause you aint gonna ever jump that high or dance that good. You NEED Grace...and so does the baby, so did the elder brother, and so does every one for all time.

I'd even say that Adam needed Grace. Why do you suppose God put the tree in the garden, Winman? Adam was lacking something. He wasn't perfect. He was innocent, but he wasn't perfect. He needed to understand unconditional love. He had never been pursued and loved unconditionally. He lacked that and thus HE too needed grace. He needed to experience true love...and he who is forgiven much loves much.

Exactly, so why argue that the brother represents those who do? Why take that view?

Really? You really think that is what he had in mind when he told that parable?

Its a parable, Winman. Its given to make a specific point, not to fully represent the full doctrine of man.

So, we can call this view Winmanism?

Enough said... You can have the last word.

17. Jacob_Elliott

Jacob_Elliott New Member

Thank you very much! Have fun!

18. Skandelon

This boards statement of faith...

III. Man

Man is the special creation of God, made in His own image. He created them male and female as the crowning work of His creation. The gift of gender is thus part of the goodness of God's creation. In the beginning man was innocent of sin and was endowed by his Creator with freedom of choice. By his free choice man sinned against God and brought sin into the human race. Through the temptation of Satan man transgressed the command of God, and fell from his original innocence whereby his posterity inherit a nature and an environment inclined toward sin. Therefore, as soon as they are capable of moral action, they become transgressors and are under condemnation. Only the grace of God can bring man into His holy fellowship and enable man to fulfill the creative purpose of God. The sacredness of human personality is evident in that God created man in His own image, and in that Christ died for man; therefore, every person of every race possesses full dignity and is worthy of respect and Christian love.

Genesis 1:26-30; 2:5,7,18-22; 3; 9:6; Psalms 1; 8:3-6; 32:1-5; 51:5; Isaiah 6:5; Jeremiah 17:5; Matthew 16:26; Acts 17:26-31; Romans 1:19-32; 3:10-18,23; 5:6,12,19; 6:6; 7:14-25; 8:14-18,29; 1 Corinthians 1:21-31; 15:19,21-22; Ephesians 2:1-22; Colossians 1:21-22; 3:9-11.

19. Inspector Javert

I'd rather not speak for Winman...but I think simple clarification might be helpful:

20. Inspector Javert

Winman affirms this...especially the portion you bolded.

He agrees that they are inclined irreparably towards evil-doing and that that is inherited from Adam by their very nature and their present accursed environment....

What he doesn't say, is that they are actually GUILTY of having committed any sin when it is (by default) impossible for them to have actually done so.

I don't see how that is so very difficult to understand.

Many Christians throughout history have affirmed a similar Theology.

I hope is wasn't overly presumptuous to speak for him....or that I mis-represent his view.

#100 Inspector Javert, Dec 2, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.