1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Drinking an alcoholic beverage could land you a job!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, I know of a person who has also been having a difficult time finding a job. They told me they put on the application they have a bad back.

I tried to tell this person you cannot say things like that, who wants to hire someone who has a bad back? They think that you are going to be out of work half the time and cause their insurance to go up from continuous claims.

This person said, "Well, what if they want me to lift heavy objects?". I said to deal with that when it happens, it may never happen. But as soon as you tell them you have a bad back, as soon as you leave the interview they throw your application in file 13. That's the round circular file that sits on the floor next to their desk. :laugh:

If you go in to an interview and tell folks you have difficulty with people cursing, or getting drunk, they are not going to hire you. They are looking for someone to work, not complain about co-workers.

2. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

It is sickening to hear a Christian use phrases like Jesus hung out with people who drank, Jesus hung out with tax collectors and sinners as if My master was just one of the boys. Do you actually think that Christ stooped to their level in order to witness to them. Do you think that a Biblical evangelist should stoop to the level of the world to show them he cares ? When you use the word stoop to their level it is actually saying you partake of their sin's just to show you care.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think "stooping to their level" is quite what people are saying but He certainly did sit with them, eat with them, talk with them and minister to them. Now, I'm not ready to go into the sleazy bar in town but I'd be happy to sit outside and talk to anyone who came out for some fresh air. :) I do believe that is what Jesus would have done.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Very true. I f I were sitting across the table from you and I told you that we travel and there are parties and drinking and you said what evangelis said, I would have in the back of my mind "he said he's not gonna condemn, but he made it a point to tell me that he doesn't get wasted and what he would be okay drinking."

It just comes across as somewhat "I'm above them and I don't do what they do but..."

Just from my POV.

5. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

I will not turn down a cold beer on occasion....but I will turn down 2 beers.

Having one beer does not qualify me as a " drunkard".

6. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I cannot find scripture in the bible that says Christ hung out. I only read the King James version but this phrase may be in the newer translations. Why do you believe that Jesus would hang out outside of a bar to talk to people ? Do you say this because as you said this is what you would do ? Have you ever read where Jesus hung out outside a bar ?

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Around imbibers all my life, never once was one's proclivities an issue. I don't think you even have to have "hard lemonade."

8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a bar, but he hung out with a Pharisee in Luke 7:36-50. And again in Luke 11:37-50 and in Luke 14. I'm pretty sure I can find more.

#48 InTheLight, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2013
  9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

John,

This situation is strictly between the Lord, you, the Holy Spirit in you, and your spouse. All the advice you got in this thread is basically worthless, on both sides of the question, as they do not live your life, nor do they understand your situation. All the advice on this thread is nothing but to advance either their stance on drinking or not drinking, not a concern for you or your family.

Follow the lead of the Lord, the Spirit living in you, the opinion of your spouse, and finally, follow your dreams.

10. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have had interviews at larger companies and the topic was never discussed. But yes I see your point.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best advice of this entire thread! Thank you brother. Not sure what I did to aggravative WinMan whom may have turned this thread into an attack on me. Perhaps there may be some solid advice in WinMan, but based on what he said in a recent post I doubt it. He was basically boasting about how good he is, and how bad I am.

I believe in the doctrine of the Sovereignty of God and that God will look after me and will use my errors and mistakes to advance His plan. Even when I mess up in interviews, and the like God still has a plan for me. For example at my last long term job in SC I made mistakes, yet I worked there a long time and God used me there. No I wont be a perfect fit everywhere but I certainly believe in the sovereignty of God. WinMan is a free will person and we disagree. But to WinMan I apologize if I have made you upset and for whatever I have done to you.

John

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

You haven't made me upset at all, I just think you should talk about your skills and experience in a job interview, not drinking or the subject of judging people for cursing, drinking, whatever...

Concerning free will, salvation is much like applying for a job. For instance, who instigates or initiates the job? The employer. The employer places an ad advertising they need a skilled person to perform a certain function.

So, you couldn't have gotten the job there unless they first initiated a job search. Likewise, no man could come to Jesus unless someone came and preached the gospel to them, and called to them to come to Christ.

But you must respond. You must go to the job interview. Likewise, you must come to Jesus to be saved. You can claim all day that salvation is of the Lord alone, but Jesus said you must "come to me" to have life.

Jhn 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

You must do something to be saved, you must come to Jesus. And a job is the same, you must go down and apply for the job.

But who chooses who gets hired? You? NO, it is your employer alone that holds all the cards and makes the decision whether they hire you or not. You cannot simply walk in the next Monday and start performing the job, they have to formally hire you.

Likewise, you must come to Jesus in faith before you are accepted. If you try to work your way, you will be cast out, just as if you tried to go in to work when they had not hired you, they will call security and throw you out. They may even call the police and have you arrested.

So, getting saved is much like applying for a job really. But it is the employer who decides if you are allowed to work there. Likewise, it is God who decides if you get saved. Yes, you must do something, you must come when you are invited, but you must also come in faith, you must meet God's qualification before he saves you. He alone decides if you get saved or not, just as your employer decides if they hire you or not.

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Why would the conversation of booze show up in an official interview----unless the interview took place in the Men's Room----you seated in one stall and your potential boss seated in the stall next to you!!!!!

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I don't get it... on one hand, won't work on Sundays. On the other hand, will drink alcohol to get a job. Preaches constantly- but cannot pay his bills, which is a poor testimony.

Kids nowadays... but then again, I was that age once.

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you think I spent 90 minutes talking about those things? get real man. I spent less than 5 minutes on those things.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread has turned for the worst into a attack on me. I am not going to post to this thread if I can help it anymore. saturneptune is very wise and had the best advice by far here.

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Not an attack, an observation. Here's another one- you really need to grow up.

18. thisnumbersdisconnected

???

What's that supposed to mean? Is someone standing behind you at your computer with a gun to your head?

19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? What happened to:

20. sag38

sag38 Active Member

If I were an employer I might bring up the alcohol issue if in the past we mistakenly hired a pharisee who was real great at letting everyone at work know what he was against to include alcohol. It kind of puts a bad taste even my mouth, and I try to live a godly life, to be around a pharisee. Imagine what it does to non Christians. Talk about creating a toxic work environment. Because of the pharisee the rest of us Christians are considered suspect.