1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drinking of alcohol and especially wine

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Old Scholar, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There you go again Ann, trying to take us down a rabbit trail. I suppose that you do not teach God's Word to your students unless you live it totally. I suppose that you do not talk against sin unless you are sinless?

2. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not trying to bind anyone. I am not affected by what you do or don't do so I don't have a problem.

Why don't you come up with scriture that promotes it?

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is amazing why teetotallers ignore every argument that doesn't suit them.

Alcohol, like many things, is ok in some contexts but not in others. Sex is ok for a married couple, but it is not ok for children. Even some parts of the Bible are best left to at least semi-mature minds. E.g.--do you really want four year olds studying the suggestive passages in the Song of Solomon?

Alcohol is no different. It's suitable in some contexts but not in others.

4. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The subject is alcohol, not sex nor is it about a movie. You still are having a problem staying with the subject. Is it because you really don't know what your stand is on the subject of alcohol?

5. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please use your brain for a minute. God gave you intellect for a reason. You mentioned the movie question. It is altogether appropriate to use an analogy.

6. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    teetotallers?

Is sex ok for unmarrried adults? Most 4 year olds don't read. According to scripture unless you are saved you won't understand the Bible anyway no matter what the age.

If you choose to promote drinking alcohol that's ok. It makes no difference to me. You make assumptions then you critique.

7. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You too? Why do you have such a hard time staying on the subject? Reread the title of the thread.

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then--is drinking alcohol ok in any amount? (medicines aside)

Who cares if they can't read? Would you sit around reading the sexual passages to them? I would hope not. Moreover, Scripture doesn't say that you won't have any understanding of the Bible. It's a spiritual enlightenment of which it speaks. One can comprehend the literary meaning of biblical narrative even without being a Christian.

9. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Discussion boards allow an individual to make analogies when appropriate.

How long have you been on this board?

10. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

If you asking me for how much is ok for you to drink, I'll have to know the reasons why you drink. Can you tell me the reason or reasons that you choose to drink alcohol?

BTW, please try and stay on the subject. The subject is not if we should read The Song of Solomon to two year olds.

I am looking forward to you answers.

11. historyb

historyb New Member

Paul told timothy is was good, your turn to try to find that Scripture says not to.

12. moeowo2

moeowo2 New Member

My mother-in-law has Lupus, Fibromygila, and a lot of other things on top of those two really horrible diseases. She barely eats anything and yet she's overweight and her doctors can't figure it out. So there are exceptions to the rule.

13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not interested in your determination of how much anyone else should drink. What I want to know is whether or not you believe it is at least acceptable to drink even a small amount of alcohol.

Regarding personal consumption decisions, that is best left to the individual.

14. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You edited it out, but I have been here longer than ten minutes. You seem to be getting frustrtaed which is evidenced by your eroding attitude so it is probably best that we end this discussion with each other.

15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am frustrated because you are unwilling to engage the issues, even when you bring them up. You yourself specifically referenced movies then called out annsi when she responded.

16. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not interested in my determination of what others should drink and yet you ask me what I believe is acceptable.

Then you go on to say that consumption is best left to the individual to determine.

You appear much too irrational to continue a conversation with based on your oxymoron questions.

17. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right about the movie thing so I do apologize both to you and Ann.

18. Old Scholar

Old Scholar New Member

I appreciate your interpretation but I feel I should stick with the KJV interpretors who originally interpreted those verses. I believe the texts they used were the earliest ones available and I am not aware of any newer ones. I know what they went through in order to reach a consensus of what the original text(or at least the most original available) said. To me that still states that a Bishop should not be "given to wine."

I'm afraid new English translations may have an agenda to them, since many seem to want the Scriptures to say something else. Now if we find any "near original" texts that are earlier, then we may be able to get a better translation. Most Pastors are not of the Baptist faith and don't feel that drinking presents any problem for them. Are they the ones who should be intrepreting text?

19. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll get back to you on the scriptures but here is some reading you can do until tomorrow.

Here are seven of the short term effects of alcohol consumption:

1. Reduced Inhibitions - consuming alcohol changes behavior. At a blood alcohol level of 0.05, the drinker's behavior begins to change and be noticable. Physical effects of alcohol and reduced inhibitions can mean the drinker becomes more likely to engage in activities they would otherwise not participate in like sexual activity, continued drinking, drinking and driving or illegal drug use.

2. Loss of Muscle Control - at the level of 0.10, slurred speech will likely be one of the physical effects of alcohol. Impaired judgement and poor coordination are short term effects of alcohol abuse that can lead to falls and accidents.

3. Memory Loss and/or Blackouts - since alcohol depresses the brain's control mechanisms, as blood alcohol levels increase, periods of time and certain situations and events may not be remembered afterward.

4. Nausea, Vomiting - excessive alcohol consumption can result in the body attempting to protect itself by getting rid of the alcohol. Also, alcohol adversely affecting a person's sense of balance and orientation can lead to a feeling of nausea.

5. Headaches, Hangovers - these short term effects of alcohol can be felt a few hours after consuming alcohol. Hangovers are partially due to the body becoming dehydrated due to alcohol consumption.

6. Stupor - at a blood alcohol concentration of 0.40, a person can hardly function, acting seriously disoriented and confused.

7. Coma - at a blood alcohol level of 0.50, a person is at risk for coma, a life-threatening condition. And at this level or higher, respiratory paralysis and death become very much a possibility.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Physical-...Term-Effects-of-Alcohol-Consumption&id=131378

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I do not drink, but for a totally different mindset than you listed. Your first four questions are ridiculous, and in fact, except for how they pertain to your life, are really none of your concern when it comes to others.

The reasons I do not drink are at the top of the list are an example to my family, the Sunday School class I teach, the witness in the church, and causing a fellow brother or sister to stumble. Another reason is that when I was in the Navy, it became obvious very quickly that I am not the type of person who has any business drinking.

This is between me and the Holy Spirit guiding me. However, that has nothing to do with anyone else's life. The Holy Spirit guiding me does not transcend to other lives, since the Holy Spirit is guiding each Christian in their daily walk.

Your setting rules for others lives says to me you are not drinking because of a memorized rule, not walking by faith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.