1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

drugs - why should I care?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by billwald, May 12, 2006.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

Why should I care if someone a thousand miles away decides to turn his brain into mush as long as he isn't in control of machinery?

2. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

God, that is so simple. How do you minister the truth to someone who's purpose is to get as far from reality as possible? I don't think that should be a right at all.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We don't live in a theocracy. Non-violent activities by consenting adults should not be any of the government's business. Teaching morality is a job for the church and other private institutions, not Leviathan.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

Truth is that one generally should not send good money after bad. Limited assets should be directed to decent people, not felons.

5. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

Unchartered, it is hard, but not impossible. Keep forging ahead.

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, we need to light a candle to end this wasteful "war on drugs" that is a poor use of $35 billion of taxpayers' hard earned money each year.

7. emeraldctyangel

And ken...what are you doing to help the addicted and the criminal, BESIDES ranting about them?

Do us all a favor and stop paying taxes. I dont need your 'hard earned money' each year.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I figure trying to get the government to stop arresting, prosecuting, and imprisoning non-violent drug users would be a good start.

9. emeraldctyangel

And this helps them in their addiction how?

Arresting some of them saves their lives. Most of them believe that their sins are unpardonable and would never seek help on their own.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is difficult for a person to come forward for help when it could result in a person being arrested.

Not everyone can afford top-notch, expensive lawyers like Rush Limbaugh to cut a deal to stay out of jail.

11. emeraldctyangel

Oh pooh. Judges look upon a defendent who seeks treatment with a lot better eye than he does the guy who steals $15 thousand dollars worth of Coach purses from a department store to support his habit or the guy who set his own mother and aunt on fire because they wouldnt hand over their wallets.

12. billwald

billwald New Member

State of OREGON estimated that half of all thefts and burglaries are done by meth users. If the state gave them a place to go and sufficient meth to keep them happy - maybe a work farm in the middle of noplace - they could cut property taxes by 25% or so.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

"Sufficient meth to keep them happy."

That's funny.

Eventually, the amount is fatal.

So, the government begins to kill addicts.

No thanks.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    well lets end the war on drugs, the war on guns, the war on poverty, the war on fossil fuels, the war on anything at all. Let us abolish all laws and run free!

15. jet11

jet11 Member

What are you going to do when they do turn their minds to mush and look to the taxpayers to pay for their disabilities? I for one don't have any problem ending the war on drugs, but I am not willing to pay for their habit or pay for them when they can no longer take care of themselves.

Please don't tell me that there would not be lawyers who would sue the Government for allowing such a destructive product to be legalized. (Tobacco, fast food, guns, etc.)

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, brother. We need to reduce the size of our Leviathan-sized government. [​IMG]

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be up to the judges to follow the federal constitution and tell those filing such lawsuits to take a hike.

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont get the obsession against the war on drugs except with those who use them.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's simple, RM. Philosophically, as a libertarian, I am against the government interfering in the activities of consenting adults. Practically, I don't like seeing my tax dollars wasted. The "war on drugs", just like the "war on poverty", has been going on for decades and neither "war" is any closer to being won than it was when it was started.

20. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

What about the war to save souls? The government shouldn't support evangelists and missions? Or they don't already, and this is a double standard?