1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DTS' ThM

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Mar 2, 2007.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A friend of mine went to DTS and a lot of what he got in four years I got in three at SWBTS.

Like anywhere a lot depends on the professors you take. Some believe in getting you through while others believe in getting you well prepared.

DTS has changed from the old hard line dispensationalsim to a modified form which most teaching there today do not agree with the old hard line dispensationalism of Larkin and Scofield.

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    gb Response

Brother gb,

I have know a lot of "Big 6" SBC grads in my long life and nearly as many DTS grads. And I must observe (not in disputation at all of your learned opinion), that the DTS grads do much better in the Biblical Languages and Exegesis with the originals than most SBC "hands" myself included.

I am making this personal observation based on the MDiv/old BDiv vs. the ThM of Dallas.

This of course is worth what all of my opinions are worth. They are just my own perspectives and opinions.:laugh: And I must hasten to say that I am open to new data and want to maintain an open mind.:thumbs:

sdg!

rd

3. greek geek

greek geek New Member

First, RevGKG - It's good to know there are other DTS people lurking on this board. I appreciated your comments, and heartily second them.

Wow. I go away for a week and come back to find this very interesting discussion. I am an almost-alum of DTS. I graduate this May with my ThM. And it only took me five years. Five great years that I in no way feel were wasted or that I could have been doing something "better" or more "productive" for God.

When I first came to DTS it was for a 2 year program. It soon became clear to me though, that God was requiring something different from me. So I changed to a ThM. After five years of "pricey" education I have absolutely no loans. I have paid all my bills on time. And I work a ministry job that is full time hours and only part time pay. If you are serious about DTS, you can get your degree without one single loan. It's truly amazing how God will provide for you. DTS is great about helping you with scholarships, and there are many other avenues to finance your education. But if you would rather not trust God to provide for the price - don't even think about going there.

There has been a lot of talk on this thread about the price and the number of hours. If you are going to decide on a seminary based on the price and hours then you should not go to DTS for a ThM. Go to another seminary where you can "do your time" for two years and get out and "get on with life." After all, heavens forbid that you actually have to change your plans to fit Gods. After all it's not like Jesus waited 30 years before He did what He came to do. (Please understand that my usage of sarcasm is not to offend but merely to get my point across)

As for the comment that was made about going somewhere else for a Masters and a Doctrate for the same time and money -- if your concern in being prepared for ministry is time and money don't go to DTS. And I would greatly caution you against going in the ministry at all. Anyone going into ministry should first be concerned about where God is leading them and once determining that they must have faith that God will provide for what He requires of them.

I love DTS, but I realize that it is not for everyone. There are others that God leads to a different seminary for an MDiv. If God leads you to do that - then go for it. But if God is leading you to DTS for a ThM then trust Him to provide. And your "extra" time spent getting the degree will not be wasted.

If you are seeking where to go to seminary because God has called you to go to seminary and you are trying to find out where He is sending you - consider DTS along with other seminaries.

4. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

God forbid that someone should actually earn a M.A./Ph.D. in five years when they can obey God and get a Th.M. instead.
    :)

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why get a ThM in four years?

We should go back to the BDiv and make it 10 years!

6. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

So is the ThM designed as a terminal degree or do most go on for a PhD or ThD after this?

7. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Reply

Charles,

How are you? It has been a long time since you and I have crossed paths.

In answer to your observation: I would say both.:laugh:

Could it not be the same as the MDiv degree; one could use if as a terminal practitioner degree, or go on to do a Master of Sacred Theology or a fourth year Master of Theology to specialize and get ready for the PhD or ThD?

This may shed more heat than light. It seems a lot of our discussions here on the BB boil down to perception, opinion, background, and what each ultimately think is "God's Will." IMHO!

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

8. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Thanks Rhet,

Yep I mostly lurk these days. I was spending too much time in front of the screen! I check this forum most days but I have tried to avoid getting into alot of the heated threads over in the theology section.

I have a friend finishing a ThM at DTS and another who is starting next fall. I get just a bit "jealous" every so often!

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. That is because so many at the BIG 6 take the easy route out. Too many in the ministry tell many others that the M.Div. is the license for a ministry job. I had Dr. Lorin Cranford and those who had him know that he made us work. I worked about as hard for him in three hours of Greek than 11 hours of other classes. However the administration had complaints about him because not very many would take his classes because he made you work so hard. The majority of doctoral students at SWBTS had him for Greek.

Remember who had written the majority of Greek grammars being used in the early 1900s. The SBC dumbed down the M.Div. by adding a M.Div. w/o biblical languages. Several professors were of the opinion that God has called you so we will help you get through while others held the philosophy that we want you to be well prepared.