1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

eating out on Sundays

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by corndogggy, Aug 31, 2006.

1. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wondered what everybody thought about going out to eat on a Sunday. I know it's traditional baptist culture to go eat before or after church, maybe both in some rare cases. It's all viewed as innocent family time, especially since alot of people who go out to eat don't want to work, or even refuse to work, on a Sunday.

However, I wanted to enlighten you in regards to the other end of the stick that you may or may not have considered before. By going out to eat on a Sunday, not only are you potentially forcing somebody to work on a Sunday against their will, but there's a good chance that you are forcing them to miss church.

I say this because I used to be one of these people, I'm not just making stuff up. I was trying to put myself through college, working at a Shoney's (like Denny's) that had a breakfast buffet. I couldn't understand how those same people who were so adamant about not working on a Sunday could just pack the restaurant and force us to work. I did not have enough seniority to get a different schedule. Other jobs didn't pay as well so I'd have to work more hours, which would mess up college, and they were about the same situation on Sunday's anyway.

It is my dream to open up my own restaurant, and my #1 rule is that no worker of mine will ever have to work a Sunday shift if they don't want to. I may actually just totally close it down on Sundays. To this day I won't go out to eat on a Sunday, I don't want to make other people work. Just wondering if anybody else feels the same way about this.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

They will be at work if we come or not. It's their scheduled work day.

3. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If nobody showed up to eat, there wouldn't be any reason for them to be forced to work on Sunday's. They don't show up to work for no reason, they show up because church going people like to eat on Sunday's. My point is that there are lots of people who really don't like for Sundays to be their scheduled work day, yet they are stuck because alot of people keep showing up wanting food that day.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

1. You are saying we should put them out of a job.

2. There are a lot more non-Church people eating out on Sunday than Church folks. It's a national pass time.

3. This would mean going back to leaving the roast in the oven and folks leaving Church early so dinner don't burn.

5. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regardless of those excuses, what about the morality? Alot of people simply think it's wrong to work on a sunday. If that's true, which I believe it is, why is it ok for them to make other people work for them on Sunday's, as long as they're not the ones doing it? This question goes beyond restaurants, and could encompass going to Lowe's, or the mall, or whatever.

6. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Any christian has the opportunity to tell any potential employer that they cannot work Sundays. If you work for extra pay etc., it is your choice. If they try to force you, quit. Trust God to help get you another job. If you are going to take the stand against working Sundays it is best to tell them up front. But don't ever compromise. If you do, they will expect you to work Sundays as needed.

By the way. Don't feel guilty because you want to treat your family to a meal. Those restaurant employees' choose to be there. As I said, a christian can and should opt out.

As far as forcing the unsaved to work, Sunday doesn't mean anything to them anyhow. It would just be a day off:thumbsup:

#6 Soulman, Aug 31, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2006
  7. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I'm lucky to not to have to work weekends anymore, but I can still remember feeling trapped when I did. I didn't like that feeling. I don't want to make anybody else feel this way.

8. ACADEMIC

ACADEMIC New Member

Restaurants provide a vital public service on Sundays. Think of travellers, for example. Firefighters, police, doctors, etc., also perform vital public services on Sundays.

There is no law that says we MUST attend services or that our "day of rest" MUST be on Sundays.

Equally, there is no law that says we MUST hold services on Sundays.

MANY churches of every denomination hold services at other times.

It is sillly to think that everyone even so much as thinks that Sundays are for attendance at services, or that they think you are sinning by eating out on that day.

Enjoy the restaurant. You are likely rubbing up with the unchurched. One person in a church I went to years ago came to Christ through the love of Christians shown her while waitressing on Sundays.

Take eating out on Sunday as an opportunity to not only show Christ to the unchurched where they naturally are, but to move away from the misguided mindset that says Sunday is the only day for services. Being the "church," the ekklesia, is a LOT more than which "church building" you may happen to go to on Sunday mornings.

Go where the unchurched are. Yes, on Sundays. Love people. Take a sincere interest in them and their own concerns in life. Be Jesus to them.

Okay, nuff said! God forbid this duscussion even needs to go on anymore.!

#8 ACADEMIC, Aug 31, 2006
  9. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

My family's standard is "We try not to buy and sell on the Lord's Day." We never eat out on Sunday unless we are traveling, and that may have occurred five times in the past twenty five years.

I have seen people forced to neglect church because of an employer's decision to begin requiring Sunday work, and I've seen spiritual shipwreck ensue. These things are real.

Ever wonder how our ancestors could have understood so little, and how it came to be that we are so enlightened? We can discard the traditions of many centuries and still dwarf those old-timers with the level of our Christian character and our power with God. :praying:

10. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Quoted by Pipedude:"I have seen people forced to neglect church because of an employer's decision to begin requiring Sunday work, and I've seen spiritual shipwreck ensue. These things are real." End quote

That is a test of our faithfulness. If you stand up for what you believe, your boss will either respect you or fire you. If you get fired for standing up for Jesus, don't you think God will help you find another job? People that won't take a stand are the ones spiritually shipwrecked. The ones that stand firm are blessed.

11. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pipedude - I like you man. :thumbs:

12. ACADEMIC

ACADEMIC New Member

But you are forcing people to take a stand for a non-issue, a tradition of men, and laying down a line upon a tradition of men that presents a needless barrier to people.

Please show me in and from only the Scripture that our Sunday calandar day is the required day for people to "attend church."

While you are at it, show me in and from only the Scripture where being the church is primarly about attending services once or twice per week on a "special day," pursuing our economic ends Monday thorugh Friday, and our familial ends on Saturday.

We have to become all things to all men, not make all men become something to fit into our traditions or "the way it has always been." Missionaries to their culture adjust to that culture to reach the most possible, not vice-versa. Hold Friday and Saturday night services, for example.

Check out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0787965685/?tag=baptis04-20

Here are some excerpts of some reviews of the book:

#12 ACADEMIC, Aug 31, 2006
  13. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Quoted by Academic:"But you are forcing people to take a stand for a non-issue, a tradition of men, and laying down a line upon a tradition of men that presents a needless barrier to people.

Please show me in and from only the Scripture that our Sunday calandar day is the required day for people to "attend church." End quote

I am not forcing anyone to do anything. Although it is not in the scriptures for churches to specifically to meet on Sunday or any other specific day, I believe your argument is flawed.

God created the world in six days. On the seventh He rested. We are created in His image and also need a day of rest. If you don't get one you will eventually suffer health problems.

There is no longer a sabbath. But the world has chosen to use Sunday as the Lord's day. That is the primary time when churches are open. Setting aside a day for family and God is wrong? Is that what you are trying to say?

About meeting Sundays and other days of the week? Christians should want to be around each other and around their church. God ordained the church. If your church leadership determines it is to have services on Sunday, Sunday night and Wednesday, then that is when you should be there. We are to be in subjection to our pastor. The church has a mission to fulfill. It takes a unified church, alot of prayer and organization to do it.

It takes people working and serving mabey more than once a week. To sit there and say that we don't have to do this or that because the bible isn't specific is careless. The bible may not directly say something but it may teach a principle. We are to meet together as the body of Christ. We are to be together in order for that body to function. We need to allocate time in order to fulfill our mission.

You pick the days if you want. I think Sundays are good as most people are off. If others are christians and their church meets on Sunday, you better believe they should take a stand. It is not a non issue as you state. God should come first.

14. ACADEMIC

ACADEMIC New Member

I agree it is best to take one day, some day, off per week lest we get sick.

And no one is saying it is okay to abandon fellowship with other Christians.

:laugh: I don't know about where you live but everywhere I have lived "the world" seems to have chosen Sunday as a day for sleeping in and recreation.

Subjection? Depends on what you mean. Study the Greek word sometime.

And then there is the instance where he is blinded by tradition himself and is, uh, wrong, and running the church as if he were still living in a cultural yesteryear.

Check out McNeal's book, linked to prior.

Also this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/078798129X/?tag=baptis04-20

And this one, of which is said it is "a gripping exegesis of culture, church and history, with some careful theological reflection along the way, Frost and Hirsch contribute to the dialogue on innovation and mission and end up with re-imagining eccelesiology against the backdrop of emerging culture." - http://www.amazon.com/dp/1565636597/?tag=baptis04-20

#14 ACADEMIC, Aug 31, 2006
  15. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Why are you singling out restaurant workers?

Shouldn't the doctors, nurses, hospital staff, nursing home workers, policemen, firemen, paramedics, etc. be allowed to stay home on Sunday too?

Do not get sick on Sunday for you are forcing these people to work!

People know the work schedule before they take a job and then gripe when it doesn't suit their purpose. No wonder business owners would rather hire foreigners. They will work without complaining...

If one becomes a spiritual wreck from missing one service a week (when there are usually three) then don't blame the restaurants. That person is making the wrong choices and blaming it on his job.

Also, you would be forcing your wife to work on Sunday to prepare a meal because you don't want to eat out.

It isn't only Christians who go out to eat on Sunday. We could stop going and the restaurants would still remain open.

I cook three squares a day, six days a week. You betcha I enjoy eating out on Sunday!

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Its a rare bird that my wife and I will eat out (at a local resterant) after Sunday Morning preaching----sometimes we're invited over to a fellow church members for Dinner---etc----but its a rare bird, too-----after preaching--I like to relax----I change clothes---put on a pair of shorts and a "T-Shirt" and go barefooted until time to get ready for Sunday nite-----besides---my "Suit" clothes are usually wringing wet with sweat after preaching---so I must change.

My Father-in-Law worked at a fossil fuel generating plant in Alabama for 35 years----as his shift would go---he was required to work Sundays----but usually---usually---usually---when he had to work Sundays---he'd work "Day Shift" and when he got off work---he made it home in time for Sunday evening worship---and visa versa--when he worked Evening Shift---he was at church in the morning---so it was a rare bird for him to completely miss the whole day Sunday worship---follow me???!! And if he did happen to miss both services because of Sunday overtime work---he always made it to church on Wednesday evening.

As far as resterants closing on Sundays???-----that would be nice!!! Truitt Cathy---owner of Chic-Fil-A closes on Sunday---you can't blast your way in to that resterant door on Sunday with dynamite!! I've heard him speak---dynamic Christian man---he nor his company has ever missed the money from closing Sundays.

Now----you ladies---you know ya'll are lyin' when you tell the preacher that your roast is cooking and you "can't stay for worship services today" because you don't want that roast to burn----you big fat liar!!! I have a "Slow Cooker" ---- you can throw a frozen roast in right before you leave for Sunday School-----hard as a rock--- into the "Crock" pot----put you a can of Cream of Mushroom soup and a pack of Onion Soup mix on top---put the lid on---and go to Sunday worship---when you get home at 1pm---buddy---you ain't never had a more better roast---but all of this "My roast is gonna burn" garbage----is a lie from Hell----and thats coming from a native Louisianaian---who knows how Cajuns cook don' dar!!!!

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Eating out on Sundays

I never cease to be amazed at the things we find to argue over.

18. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those of you who dismiss the subject, have you ever really been in that situation yourself??? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I bet most of you haven't.

19. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I think it's a merry go round, if you know what I mean. Those people go out to eat, because they know restaurants and diners will be open on Sundays anyway, and restaurants and diners will have their employees coming in on Sundays because they know those church guys will be coming in to eat on Sundays.

Besides, it's not only church people you serve on Sundays, right ?

20. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but that's just shifting the blame and not confronting the moral issue in any meaningful way.