1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ecclesiastes 5:2

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by princessJJ, Jul 22, 2006.

1. princessJJ

princessJJ New Member

Can someone tell me what this verse means/is refering to? :confused:

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe it is referring to oaths, since it talks about uttering things "before God." Remember that Jesus said about swearing oaths, "But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil" (Mt 5:37).

Having said that, there are Scriptures indicating that too many words open the way to sin. "In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise" (Prov. 10:19). The book of Proverbs is full of similar statements. The more we listen the more we learn, right? Or as someone else said, God gave us two ears but only one mouth, so maybe we should listen twice as much as we talk!

I hope this helps.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look at the verses around your passage.

verse 1 = when in God's presence, don't be so prone to shoot off your mouth to Him.....LISTEN

verse 2 = (your verse) = God doesn't need you telling Him what to do....he needs your ears, your heart, your obedience, your service

verse 3 = foolish people are known by the multitude of words that come from their mouths

verse 4 = when you tell God that you are going to do something....DO IT and just shut up about it

verse 5 = it's better to not promise God anything at all than to make Him a promise and then not to keep it

verse 6 = don't be a spiritual blabbermouth and then when you make a mess of things in the flesh come before God and say, "OOPS!!! SORRY!!" That brings about God's wrath

verse 7 = so much of our life is fantasy and useless babbling....don't get caught up in that....get caught up in this: FEAR GOD!

#3 Scarlett O., Jul 23, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
    -- Mark Twain

5. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Jarthur writes:

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

-- Mark Twain​

Does that apply to posting on the BB?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: I thought it was Samuel Clemens who said that, not Mark Twain. :laugh:

7. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

It was Abraham Lincoln

8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Yes...I have always heard it was Lincoln myself. When I thought of the quote, I did i search to make sure I had the right wording, and the site I found the quote said it was Twain so I thought maybe I was wrong.

My guess is that Lincoln said it, Clemens heard Lincoln say it and told Twain. Mark Twain then wrote about it. :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin:

No really, I had always heard it was Lincoln...but realy I have no idea.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

#9 saturneptune, Jul 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2006
  10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Arthur, after this candid quote about self examination, do you have a new perspective on things?

11. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

no...nothing new.

Read the book of Ecclesiastes and you would know this.

Nothing new under the sun. :)

May Gods love be real to you saturn, and may you be full of Gods understanding and peace.

In Christ..James

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - -- Mark Twain

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

God's love is quite real to me, and feel full of God's understanding and peace, thanks for asking. Now, go back to being the martyr. :laugh:

14. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Even you would have to admit, I'm pretty good at being a martyr!!!

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Hope you got my message and took it to heart.

16. princessJJ

princessJJ New Member

Okay I have only been a christian a year so i am trying ot figure out things... so I tend to pray like all the time.. just like a lil thing comes to mind and i pray about it... is this verse referring to this? saying you shouldn't pray a lot? I am confused.. ( i am blonde so it happens rather easily...:tongue3: ) or like when i pray i tend to be wordy if you will in praying.. is that wrong?

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely not! You go right ahead and pray all the time and tell the Lord absolutely everything. He delights to hear your prayer, wishes all of us prayed more, and wants to hear from you absolutely everything that is in your heart (even though He knows it already)! I once made up a motto for myself: "Talk less to men, but more to God, and more to men about God."

1 Thess. 5:17--"Pray without ceasing."

Phil. 4:6--"Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."

18. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

God bless you princess, you keep right on praying about every little thing and don't stop. I heartily second JofJ's post!

Talk to God constantly. It's one of the sweet blessings of being saved. I believe the "listening" side of prayer comes on its own, you don't have to be literally silent for it to happen. The only thing I would caution against is "vain repitition" (such as the catholic's rosary), memorized prayers (pray from the heart, not the memory), and "formal" prayer (must bow, stand, raise hands, lower hands, sign of the cross, following any pattern or physical form during prayer in a ritualistic manner).

Just keep praying from your heart and you'll do well.

19. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

BTW me and 2BHizown would recommend John Bunyan's book on prayer. It's available on the internet here:

Purchase: http://www.monergismbooks.com/prayerbun0906.html

Free: http://www.peacemakers.net/johnbunyan/bun-prayer.rtf

The opening of Bunyan's treatise on prayer:

WHAT PRAYER IS.

FIRST, What [true] prayer is. Prayer is a sincere, sensible, affectionate pouring out of the heart or soul to God, through Christ, in the strength and assistance of the Holy Spirit, for such things as God hath promised, or according to the Word, for the good of the church, with submission, in faith, to the will of God.

#19 J.D., Jul 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2006