1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eerdman's Publishes Mormon Book

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Marcia, May 2, 2005.

1. Karen

Karen Active Member

I guess it depends on what "general" and "indepth" mean re: whether I agree with you or not. I would not recommend an indepth study of Mormonism, for example, for a new, teen-age Christian. Far better for him or her to study orthodox doctrine.

However, my youngest recently participated in three sessions on Mormonism, taught in his youth group. It was far more specific and indepth than it could have been. I attended with him. I thought it was a great study. And I commended the leaders. Yet much more, of course, could have been studied.
    Actually the classes partly came from my suggestion. The youth group is going,this summer, on a mission trip to a region of the U.S. that is heavily Mormon. They will be working in VBS camps, etc.

There is a need for Christian scholars who do more than just cover the high points. That, after all, is how we get the books and studies that summarize the key points. Some Christian scholar has studied it in depth.
    There are many things studied in seminary that are very arcane compared to the knowledge the average pewsitter actually needs at work on Monday morning to witness. Yet I am so glad those seminaries are there, studying minute details.
    Generally, Eerdmans has done a great job of printing scholarly studies, IMO. Intervarsity Press has always printed a wide range of useful material, also.

Karen

2. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

No, it is not. Mormons use the same theological words that Christians do, but they attach to them very different meanings. Therefore, a Christian can read many Mormon articles and posts on the internet, not knowing that they are written by Mormons, and think that the articles are right-on and very helpful. This can lead them to gain confidence in the author of those articles or posts long before they even begin to realize that they are gaining confidence in an author who is a Mormon. And by the time they realize that the author is a Mormon, they have already seen that what he has written is the truth. BUT—IT IS NOT THE TRUTH! And as they continue reading these articles and posts, they gradually come to understand the theological words as Mormons do and they become Mormons before they even realize that anything at all is wrong. The Mormon Church has swallowed up thousands of Baptists through their clever deceit, and knowing just a little about the Mormon Church and their theology without knowing and understanding the words that they use to express it is NOT enough.

And of course when Baptists witness to Mormons and speak of the “atonement” of Christ for our sins, unless they know the Mormon understanding of the word and explain to the Mormons the Christian use of the word, they will only convince the Mormons that the Mormon doctrine is true. And there are many such words that Mormons use differently than do Christians. A little knowledge of Mormonism can be much more dangerous than no knowledge at all, because it can and often does give the Baptist Christian a false sense of confidence. And there are very many ex-Baptist Mormons to prove it!

[​IMG]

3. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with that. Or in studying what cults believe....as long as you are immersed in the Truth, and study that even more.

Rachel

4. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

:rolleyes:
    Quote from Craig By The Sea:

General knowlege about such cults is more than enough.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "No, it is not. Mormons use the same theological words that Christians do, but they attach to them very different meanings. Therefore, a Christian can read many Mormon articles and posts on the internet, not knowing that they are written by Mormons, and think that the articles are right-on and very helpful. This can lead them to gain confidence in the author of those articles or posts long before they even begin to realize that they are gaining confidence in an author who is a Mormon. And by the time they realize that the author is a Mormon, they have already seen that what he has written is the truth. BUT—IT IS NOT THE TRUTH! And as they continue reading these articles and posts, they gradually come to understand the theological words as Mormons do and they become Mormons before they even realize that anything at all is wrong. The Mormon Church has swallowed up thousands of Baptists through their clever deceit, and knowing just a little about the Mormon Church and their theology without knowing and understanding the words that they use to express it is NOT enough.

And of course when Baptists witness to Mormons and speak of the “atonement” of Christ for our sins, unless they know the Mormon understanding of the word and explain to the Mormons the Christian use of the word, they will only convince the Mormons that the Mormon doctrine is true. And there are many such words that Mormons use differently than do Christians. A little knowledge of Mormonism can be much more dangerous than no knowledge at all, because it can and often does give the Baptist Christian a false sense of confidence. And there are very many ex-Baptist Mormons to prove it!"

--------------------------------------------------

Very true Craig (imagine that!,I'm agreeing with you)!
    It is probably also the reason that Fuller and Zacharias were so warmly received when they spoke in Salt Lake.The cultists were probably just "translating" everything they said into their own damnable doctrine AS THEY SPOKE!...very sad. [​IMG] There should NEVER be any "dialogue" with the unfruitful work of darkness.We should tell them the truth in love whenever the opportunity arises...but NEVER bid them godspeed or God bless or join hands with them in any dialogue.I agree there is nothing wrong with "knowing the enemies tactics".That's why military men study the "Art of War".And make no mistake about it...WE ARE IN A WAR!

Greg Sr. [​IMG]

5. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ex-Baptist-Mormons--

Are from the same group as Ex-Baptist-Catholics. They were never real "Baptists" from the start.

This is another consequence of "easy believism", "repeat after me" salvation. This is Arminianism--"full blown". There is still no conversion to the Truth of God's grace. This makes for easy proselytes to any wind of doctrine--including doctrines of devils.

"Ye, shall know The Truth--The Truth shall make you free."

Selah,

Bro. James

6. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

While there may be many ex-Baptist-this-or-that; I highly doubt there are any "ex-christian-this-or-that-".
    My own brother is a fine example. While he was raised in the same home I was, attended the same SBC I did, was dunked in the same baptismal I was; he was never a christian, he was never more than a pew sitter and he is now a mormon.
    This is because he didn't know the first thing about salvation. And he STILL doesn't. Nor does he even know what the mormons really teach, yet there he is every sunday morning at "church" with his kids. I had spoken to him about what Brigham Young taught, what Joeseph Smith taught, and he doesn't believe it.

Generalizations are unwise. Our best recourse is to deal individually with these people. Find out what they know, and teach them in the spirit of love and patience and prayer. No amount of "scholarly book learning" will pluck them out of the fire. And no amount of book learning will convince them of anything unless God does a work on their heart.

It takes a great amount of patience and time to reach these people. I have been dealing with my brother for ten years. And we "seem" to still be at square one.

We don't need yet another book by or about this damnable heresy. What we need are christians who know their own Bible well enough to use it like the Sword it is. You don't need to know what kind of sword your enemy has, whether it is a two handed long sword or a roman short sword. All one really needs is proficiency with their own Sword.

In HIS service;
    Jim

7. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

I certainly agree with that. It is called giving them a new heart if the person is not already saved, and if the person is saved already it is called the opening of the heart.

8. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

This is, of course, only half of the truth. Bank employees are also taught all of the warning signs of counterfeit bills so that they will easily spot the counterfeit bills.

Mormonism does not prey upon those who are knowledgeable of their false teachings; Mormonism preys upon those who are not.

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Salvation is not based upon our education, and we do not remain saved and walk with the Lord based on our being smarter than the cults...

9. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

That is a remarkable evidence, and so seldom seem. Amen!

Acts 19:19 (KJV) Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver.

10. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

Christians should have a practical knowledge of what the terms mean to a Christian, to guard themselves. Let us put on the armour of light.

11. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

Yes!

12. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

Then let the Christian explain those things when they speak so they are understood.

13. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

OK, I've enjoyed this thread enough for now and thats all I'll post now.

And the people said, "Amen" [​IMG]

14. Rachel

Rachel New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

In light of this, i'm curious about what other church leaders are doing to better equip their church members for this type of thing.

16. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

My pastor in my church back home does a series of studies both on the radio and in sunday school he calls "Mormon Doctrines in light of the Bible".

This church is in a bastion of Mormonism, i.e. Boise, ID. We get many phone calls by both mormons and the christian community commending us for this series.

This is just one church. And as far as I know, it is the ONLY one (in a valley of 400k people) which has the audacity to put such a thing on the air. It tends to ruffle feathers at times, but we also get many thanks for it.

Boise, ID also has one of them Temples to Baal (Mormon). :eek:

In HIS service;
    Jim

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I started this thread but have been out of town for 5 days and have not read all the pages yet, but would like to answer the above.

It is not wrong, of course, to study other religions. But this is a pro-Mormon book written by a Mormon professor at BYU defending the Mormon faith. It is being published by a Christain publisher.

The Bible tells us to beware of false teachings and to reject false gospels. We are not to give a platform to false teachers (2 John). So it is totally unbiblical for a Christian publisher to publish a pro-Mormon book. This is akin to the apostle John publishing a pro-Gnostic manifesto for early Chritians. There is no excuse for it. There are good books on Mormon beliefs by Christians, such as Ron Rhodes.

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This is part of what I am sending to my prayer partners in my next update, alerting them to this book. Check out the links provided:

Amazingly, this book has even caused some Christians, including Richard Mouw (president of Fuller Seminary), to proclaim that Millet believes in the same Jesus as do Christians! [“I think that an open-minded Christian reader of this book will sense that Bob Millet is in fact trusting in the Jesus of the Bible for his salvation.” Richard Mouw at http://ateam.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2005/5/6/657229.html].
    This issue raises many questions: Why is a Christian publisher publishing a pro-Mormon book? Why is a Christian publisher publishing a book by a Mormon? Why are Christians endorsing this book (such as David Neff, editor of “Christianity Today,” Denver seminary professor Craig Blomberg, and Biola seminary professor Craig Hazen [these are evangelical seminaries]; see http://www.aomin.org/index.php?itemid=411)? One Christian concerned over this book writes: “It seems to me that the average Mormon will likely come away from this text satisfied that there is nothing wrong with their current theology. For the average Christian, after reading a defense of the LDS Jesus, and a note by a Christian that the Mormon who wrote it is saved, why would they not start believing in the LDS Jesus?” (http://ateam.blogware.com/)

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Craig, what you are talking about? The book is by a Mormon scholar, not a Christian scholar!

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think this personal attack on Marcia is uncalled for, especially since she has only written one line in this thread that is not nearly as critical as this post you just wrote. I think you should retract this post and apologize and I'm tempted to report this.

Marcia, we have been on different sides of many issues and I can still say that you have added much value to the community here.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks, Gold Dragon. I appreciate your remarks. [​IMG] Fortunately, I was out of town and did not see Craig's words of attack on me. God is good! [​IMG]

As you can see from my latest posts, I have taken a strong stand on this as I think there is solid biblical support to speak out about a Christian publisher putting out a book by a Mormon defending Mormon views. If Eerdman's had perhaps put out a companion book that came along with this that refuted the Mormon views and showed how these views are unbiblical, that might have helped. But they did not do that. There is enough confusion amongst believers today that we do not need to add to it, as I believe this book will do by misleading many. Mormons draw many into their church by making their beliefs sound Christian and they are on a campaign today to make themselves seem like just another Christian denomination.

I have no animosity towards the Mormon guy - he's lost and needs the true Jesus. I have no animosity towards Eerdmans or those Christians defending this book - just shock, sadness, and deep concern. We are to uphold and exalt the true Christ, not give ground to false beliefs.

Greg, Blackbird, and Karen, thanks for your encouraging remarks to me. [​IMG]

[ May 10, 2005, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Marcia ]