1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Effectual Call"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by skypair, Feb 26, 2007.

1. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

?? Not following you there. Please elucidate.

Romans 3:28
    Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

How can faith come with justification if we are justified by? "By" faith indicates that faith must precede justification.

Where is this described in Scripture?

Again, Scripture please.

2. skypair

skypair Active Member

Let's look at it this way -- we are saved by Christ, right? Does that mean that Christ saved us or that we had to believe in Him first, then were saved? This particularly could not apply to the OT saints since Christ had not been born nor died yet. Same thing in the phrase "justified by faith." It doesn't give the order -- it gives the requirement, faith.

Eph 1:13 -- heard - believed - sealed. Do you see those words? "In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,..."

Rom 10:8-10 -- "the word of faith, which we preach; 9 That IF thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

skypair

3. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Interestingly enough, Scripture never says we are saved 'by Christ'. So, no I would not agree that we are saved 'by Christ'.

While I am thinking about it, here is a verse which used faith/believe interchangably as a noun/verb expressing the same concept:
    Rom 4:3For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. 4Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Abraham's believing was counted for righteousness. one's faith is counted as righteousness.

I missed where it mentioned anything about regeneration. What Scripture establishes that 'sealed by the HS' is the same thing as 'regeneration'?

I am not following where the passage mentions the 'belief test' you described. Is confessing with the mouth the 'belief test'?

#83 dwmoeller1, Mar 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2007
  4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your a ministers son and you have never heard of the test of faith.
    1Pe 1:6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:
    1Pe 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
    1Pe 1:8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
    1Pe 1:9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.
    MB

5. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

There is an old hymn that expresses it so beautifully:

Amidst the wealth of Bible stores,

And gems the eye of faith explores,

None with such joy and comfort fill,

As Jesus’ cov’nant SHALL and WILL.

Why are not feeble saints destroyed?

Why are not promises made void,

And sin my utter ruin proved?

His SHALLS and WILLS remain unmoved.

The weak become both strong and bold,

While on these words faith keeps her hold;

Mountains must melt and waves be still,

Obeying Jesus’ SHALLS and WILLS.

These potent words subdued my heart,

And made the love of sin depart—

Christ said, ‘My purpose I’ll fulfill,

You SHALL submit, and reign I WILL.’

These words a sov’reign power conveyed,

Confirmed each promise He had made;

My IFS and BUTS I laid aside,

And now in SHALLS and WILLS confide.

6. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

You aren't reading what skypair and I are discussing. I said NOTHING about faith not being tested. In fact, part of my argument is grounded on the fact that faith IS tested.

What skypair is arguing is the belief and faith are distinct things and that it is the 'belief test' which results in faith. I am asking her to show in Scripture where the concept of belief (not faith - you and I would see this as being the same thing, but she is making a distinction between the two) being tested is present.

I am glad you bring this verse up again as it indicates that skypairs position on this is wrong. She says that faith comes with/after salvation - yet this verse says that salvation is the *end* of faith. If salvation is the end of faith, then faith must precede salvation.

You and I agree on this - it is skypair with whom you disagree.

7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

8. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

10. skypair

skypair Active Member

"Abraham believed ... counted righteous" is the proper definition of "justification." He was saved from that point on but his sanctification was not complete being without the indwelling Spirit.

The only thing about that construct is the as believers, we continue to grow in faith such that the successive faith, not any initial faith, may be in view here.

What would you say that Abraham's initial "belief" was? Wasn't it to pick up and leave Ur? But surely that was not the gospel -- that was as the heathen in Rom 1who believe the God revealed to them and obey, the "belief test," right? A covenant offered and received in Abraham's case.

Sorry -- "sealed" by the Holy Spirit IS regeneration, "born again" of incorruptible seed in biblical parlance.

Yes, if the confession in your mouth is the belief in your heart. That is what most Baptist churches equate with the sinner's prayer. If one never came to such a decision point of personal repentance and reception of Christ, how could one ever believe they were saved with any degree of certainty?

I find that Calvinists are much less certain of their "election" than I am of my salvation. And they give nebulous proofs like "holy living" or "Lordship salvation" or other evidences that could be "acted out" (washing the outside of the cup) not realizing or maybe are still realizing that the inside is still filthy. Look at Laodicea, dw.

skypair