1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Egyption Religion was origin of Christianity

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by tommie, Nov 7, 2008.

1. tommie

tommie New Member

I need some help. My daughter is in college and one of her professors has told her about Ahmed Osman's "new revelation" that states that Christianity is nothing more than a rebirth, you might say, of ancient egyption religion. He parallels the trinity, jesus, the resurection...46 items in all, with this earlier time. I would like to know if anyone of you have heard of this and how to tell her how it is not true. I have scoured the internet with not one answer against it but much for it. Thanks so much

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Watch the vids attach to the thread in this section Characteristics of the anti christ. It has what the professor is talking about. The first thing you should know is the history presented is in accurate. If you really read what the actual religions taught and their mythology it is easily debunked. The Same thing for Mythras. keep in mind there are similarities but when you compare entire religions to each other you find divergence. The real mythos of Horis is misrepresented.

3. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here are a few examples to separate the actual mythos and not what is sold on Zeitgiest.

I hope that helps

4. tommie

tommie New Member

Thank you for your reply. I really do appreciate you answers. I can't find the attached vids you spoke about watching. Could you tell me exactly where they are? Again, thank you for your time and effort to help my daughter and me.

5. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  6. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Tommie,

I watched the 1st youtube video.

The reason for many of the similarities between Christianity and false paths is simply because Satan is a master deceiver. Also, some of what the guy in the video says is simply false. He lies.

Regarding some of the astrological stuff, much of it is simply examples of God giving wonderful prophetic testimonies of what was to come later, in the sky.

And I noticed that he allegorized the resurrection.

The real resurrection...Christs...was literal, was witnessed by many people, some of whom held to their convictions even unto threat of death...or death.

:godisgood:

#6 Alive in Christ, Nov 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2008
  7. tommie

tommie New Member

Alive in Christ, I know you are correct in saying Satan is the great deceiver, he's doing a great job with our young people. I want to talk to my daughter about the exact lies that he says in the videos so that the professor can be shown to be wrong!!!

8. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I wonder if you two noticed something that I noticed when watching the 1st video.

There was, to me at least, a clear "attitude" in the voice of the speaker.

As he went through everything...*supposedly* proving that Christianity was simply a copy of previous pagan religions...I detected a bit of a condescending sneer in his voice. As if he thought Christians were so ignorant and pitiful that he didnt even like lowering himself to even be talking about their religion.

It came across as really pitiful to me.

:godisgood:

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

Remember also that all those religious 'similarities' stem from the fact they all have a single source but as the people chose what they wanted to believe, they changed the story to suit their personal preferences.

Secular archeology has it this part backwards. These similarities did not 'progress' or evolve as different groups adapted varous aspects to their own moral codes. The fact (biblically) is that God gave man much information about what is truth and it to happen. Man as they multiplied and went out into different parts of the earth all carried with them parts of the truth which God had already revealed. Thus various other cultures on different contenants have similar stories (like the great flood, resurrection, a Messiah, ect..) Thus God eventually had to give these truths once again to Moses and the Children of Israel so it would not become absolutely corrupted by mans personal desires and preferences of belief (Rom 1:18; 2)

So the truth is not that religions evolved over time by taking from other views to create a better moral and cival code to follow but actaully have DE-evolved from it's principle orgin and truths to the twisted things that we have not only today but historically (which are not really very different from each other)

10. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is a list of alleged parallels between the Egyptian god Horus and Jesus.

Here is a Christian refutation of those points. He has a page listing many comparisons of Jesus to other mythologies as well as some good links at the bottom of this page: Jesus a copycat saviour?

I don't vouch for his info but it might help to point you in the right directions.

11. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Good points.

12. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Good points, all. Remember that if you're going to counterfeit something, you try to copy the original as much as possible. EG: you counterfeit a $10 bill, not an $11 bill.

13. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Back in 2002 or 2003, when I was still a fundamental Baptist, our pastor done a huge Wednesday night study session on Islam. His main source of information was a large encyclopedia set called “This History of Civilization”. I can’t recall the author, but our pastor pick up a set at a yard sell and told us that a copy was in our library. He encouraged us to verify his lectures.

Well, I did, to his surprise. What did I discover? Sure the encyclopedia wrote of Islam as noted from our pastor, but also the same source didn’t speak favorable of Christianity either. That Christianity was a rip-off of other pagan religions including pagan Egypt, India and others.

So our pastor, when questioned about this, basically told me that all was true about Islam, but the part about Christianity was false. Luckily, my faith was and still is strong and I was starting to go through a transition phase from Protestant Baptist, to what eventually led me to the Orthodox Christian Church.

Anyway, I thought it odd that he put his trust in this guys research about Islam being true, but quickly discredited his research on Christianity.

In XC
    -

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Tommie, hope you are still checking for answers here.

Many of the claims made that Christianity is just a rehash of pagan myths and religions are downright false. For example, the claims about Mithras are not true - accounts of Mithras being born on Dec. 25 of a virgin, etc. etc. did not come about until long after the birth of Jesus - not before.

I think some good info is on the link Gold Dragon gave.

A lot of these claims go back to a book by authors Freke and Gandy, then a recent Zeitgiest film, and also a film called "The God Who Wasn't There."

Here are more good links:
    http://www.alwaysbeready.com/index.php?id=124&option=com_content&task=view

http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/probe/docs/mystery.html

http://www.probe.org/site/c.fdKEIMNsEoG/b.4217655/

http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/cri/cri-jrnl/crj0169a.txt

Also, see the book The Gospel and the Greeks: Did the New Testament Borrow from Pagan Thought? by Ronald Nash.

Refuting these kind of claims is what apologists do but unfortunately apologists and apologetics are very little valued in the church today.